Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Some guidance requested  (Read 1799 times)

Elyria

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Some guidance requested
« on: October 30, 2013, 12:42:20 am »
Hello all.

I'm feeling very lost today. Well, for more than today.. I just can't pinpoint when it started. Just to state this early, I'm not depressed. I'm not happy, but I'm not unhappy either. I'm kind of just drifting.

Anyway. Here's my problem. I've been with my fiance for almost four years. When we first started dating, I was ready to move away. I had been wanting to move for a while, but he stopped me. I didn't expect us to last, honestly, and I was going to move as soon as we broke up. Well, now we're engaged. We bought a house together. We have a cat. We're talking children. But I still want to move.

My whole life, I've felt like I'm destined for something great. I have some purpose to fulfill, some job to complete. And it's not here. So I'm ready to move. My fiance, however, doesn't want to. He's never wanted to (he's not much of a traveler). I was going to compromise, buy an RV when I retire and travel then. But he doesn't really seem to want to do that. I keep jokingly ask him if he wants to move. The last time I asked, he said he couldn't leave his dad. He wants to stay here forever.

So now I feel like my entire life has just been thrown into a blender. This isn't the life I wanted, buying a house and staying in one place forever. And now I'm here. I feel like I just kind of rolled with the punches and before you know it, here I am, stuck, and I don't know what to do. Do I suck it up and stay? Do I do what I've always wanted and move?

I feel like the universe has been giving me signs. It's been a bitch trying to plan this wedding. Every time we try something, something stands in our way. It feels like the universe is trying to stop us from getting married. Like the universe doesn't want the wedding to happen. Then I had a really intense dream about my ex. I got cold feet. I contacted him, and it didn't end well.. So I started giving up. Then I ran into him tonight. I haven't seen him in five years. Why would I run into him now, of all times, right when I'm having cold feet? He's wants to see me again. I don't think I will. The point is, it's strange. Then, as I'm talking to my friends about how I'm feeling, the show on TV is talking about leaving. "Do you regret it? Leaving like you did?" "No. I did exactly what I wanted. I wouldn't change it for anything." ...I feel like the universe has always given me signs when I need them. I just fail at interpreting them.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Any suggestions on how to help direct my desires, figure out exactly what I want to do? Any rituals I could do to find more answers? Any tarot spreads that might shed some light? I'm just stuck and need a new perspective.

Thanks for reading,
Elyria

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Some guidance requested
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 08:00:47 am »
Quote from: Elyria;127559
My whole life, I've felt like I'm destined for something great. I have some purpose to fulfill, some job to complete. And it's not here. So I'm ready to move. My fiance, however, doesn't want to.

Until you know what that destiny/purpose is and what you need to do to fulfill it, what's the point of moving somewhere at random -- hoping that wherever you end up will be the place you need to be?  Chances are it will not be and you'll still have that "I need to move" feeling. So why not stay where you have your life unless and until you have a specific place to go to do your bit.  Yes, you'll still feel like you need to move, but you'd likely have that feeling even if you move now as well -- since you don't seem to yet know where specifically you need to be.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Elyria

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 11:49:21 am »
Quote from: RandallS;127579
Until you know what that destiny/purpose is and what you need to do to fulfill it, what's the point of moving somewhere at random -- hoping that wherever you end up will be the place you need to be?  Chances are it will not be and you'll still have that "I need to move" feeling. So why not stay where you have your life unless and until you have a specific place to go to do your bit.  Yes, you'll still feel like you need to move, but you'd likely have that feeling even if you move now as well -- since you don't seem to yet know where specifically you need to be.

How am I supposed to follow my path if I don't go anywhere? I can't move forward if I stand still, which is what I'm doing. I may not know what my destiny is or where it lies, but saying I'll stay here and wait until it finds me is kind of selfish, isn't it? "Everyone else has to struggle to find their destiny, but me? I'm just going to sit here and wait for it to find me."

Right now, my only desire is adventure. I want to move somewhere and do things that other people don't get to do. I want to move to a ski resort and work the gift shop for my room and board. I want to move to the coast and be a bartender on the beach. I want to give horse riding lessons in Montana. I just want to live. Not.. whatever I'm doing.

This 9-5 crap isn't for me.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 12:23:44 pm »
Quote from: Elyria;127593
How am I supposed to follow my path if I don't go anywhere? I can't move forward if I stand still, which is what I'm doing. I may not know what my destiny is or where it lies, but saying I'll stay here and wait until it finds me is kind of selfish, isn't it? "Everyone else has to struggle to find their destiny, but me? I'm just going to sit here and wait for it to find me."

First of all, I don't really believe in destiny. Not like that.

I do think that people have some Great Work to do in their life, and that it's good if we spend time on those things. (And for some people that's a profession, and for some people, that's raising great kids, and for some people that's making awesome creative stuff, and for some people, it's going to be being a really good friend and a stable point in the communities they care about. And for a lot of people, it might be more than one of those.)

But I also believe there are tons of different ways one can do that Great Work, and that the ways we do it might change in our lives.

And lots and lots of people have meaningful, happy, committed lives that involve steady work, owning houses, having kids or pets and committing to the time and attention needed to take care of them - but that also leave one tied down to one place.

And you can't have that *and* have a life where you travel all over the place randomly at a whim. (Logistical problems ahoy!)

What you could maybe have, however, is a life that allowed some flexibility, but was mostly stable - for example, I work in education, and I know more than a few people who work a 10 month contract year precisely so they can go do random awesome things on their vacations. (It means less income, but the income's stable.)

I know some people who've decided they're going to spend a year or two going and doing all the wild travelling things, and then they will settle down. (This one, however, generally works better before you start doing long-term stable things with a partner like buying a house or talking about kids seriously.)

What might help you out is figuring out exactly what it is you want out of the freedom.

For example, if it turns out that the real issue is that you dislike your current job, maybe a new job in the same place would help a lot. (Which might not be a thing you can do immediately - it might be that some additional training would help.)

If the issue is expectations (of what your relationship looks like, what potential-in-laws assume, etc.) then there's ways to renegotiate that.

If the issue is that you want more excitement in your life, maybe something like wilderness EMT training or something else of the kind related to helping in your nearest large state/national park might be an option, or volunteering or working with a youth program where dealing with unexpected things is a regular thing.

If the issue is that you have things you'd like to do and haven't had a chance yet, maybe there's a way to arrange to do that for briefer periods of time, or to look for seasonal work that would give you the freedom to be gone for a bit.

If the issue is that you're torn between wanting to settle down (which, again, buying a house sort of implies) and feeling like you're not ready yet, then that's something that might be at least partly resolved by working through what you're feeling (either on your own or with a third party like a therapist)

But at the same time, all of these possible answers are really different things - so if you want to make the best choices, figuring out what you're really looking for will help a lot.

(I do also know people who have managed to negotiate a break from settled partners, but it's generally worked best when they have a really clear idea what they want to do - like one or two specific things, not a dozen - it's time limited, and they have the resources so that them being gone is not a huge burden on the remainign partner.

Also, it generally works best if there's something of equivalent size negotiated for the partner's benefit: "I go and have six months to hike the Appalachian Trail, when I get back, you have six months in which I will do all the housework so you can work on Major Creative Project without interruption.")

That said, if you want to be away more than you want to be with your partner, that's a thing that is really better dealt with sooner than later, for everyone's long-term good. It's not kind to leave people hanging, or making long-term plans if you're not sure you're up for being there for them. (The occasional "I wish I were off doing X" is one thing - everyone daydreams. But the persistent "I can't do this life." is something totally different, and you need to figure out which side of that line you're on.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 08:17:10 pm »
Does anyone have any advice for me? Any suggestions on how to help direct my desires, figure out exactly what I want to do? Any rituals I could do to find more answers? Any tarot spreads that might shed some light? I'm just stuck and need a new perspective.

Does it need to be an either/or situation?  Can you find ways, such as the ones Jennett has suggested, to find a balance between having a home base and going on adventures?

I'm a wanderer myself and I get very restless if I feel like I'm tied down to a place.  However, I also have an aging parent who relies on me for support and for whom back-packing around the world is impossible. I balance the need to wander with obligations that keep me tied to a specific place.  I travel when I can, seek out new experiences locally when I can't, and always try to look at my life as adventure, no matter the circumstances.

Quote from: Elyria;127593
Right now, my only desire is adventure. I want to move somewhere and do things that other people don't get to do. I want to move to a ski resort and work the gift shop for my room and board. I want to move to the coast and be a bartender on the beach. I want to give horse riding lessons in Montana. I just want to live. Not.. whatever I'm doing.

There's something important here, I think.  The things that you're describing aren't necessarily adventurous if you take away the romance of the setting.  You've mentioned working in retail, bar-tending, and teaching horseback riding.  All of these are things that you likely could do in your own community... and doing them in another place would have the same challenges, job-wise.  In fact, it would likely be more of a challenge because you would be dealing with tourists and people for whom vacation translates to "I can act like a raving jackass because I'm away from home".

For what it's worth, it's been my experience that it is very easy to romanticize a nomadic lifestyle.  The reality is a bit grittier and demanding than most people think. If you have the opportunity (and haven't already done something like this), you might want to try taking a trip somewhere that requires you to work... and work very hard, preferably in exchange for room and board rather than cash.  Volunteers for Peace offers some great opportunities for short term workcamps throughout the world that, while fantastic experiences overall, can be real eye-openers as far as everything that travel can entail.  You may find it's everything you ever wanted... or not.

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Some guidance requested
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 07:36:18 am »
Does anyone have any advice for me?

I think you've gotten some really solid advice so far.  But a couple of things stood out to me when I read your post.

First, and probably most pressing, it sounds to me like you're not sure about the relationship you're in. The way you talk about how different your life goals and the way you've visualized your life are from your fiance's goals and expectations raises a huge red flag to me.  It's not fair to yourself or to your fiance to proceed with a wedding if you're not truly committed to this specific marriage.  

Nobody can predict exactly where life will take them, but you can get a pretty good idea of some of it by understanding what's important to each partner.  F'ex, my husband and I both knew we wanted kids and that we wanted to continue my family's tradition of multi-generational households. Those things did not conpletely dictate our life, but they did play major roles in shaping the last 30 years and the foreseeable future.

I'd strongly suggest that you have some heart-to-heart conversations with your fiance before you walk down that aisle, and maybe consider some kind of pre-material counseling to help you work through these issues.

Second, I think there's a difference between achieving great things in your life and having adventures.  And one is not necessarily more important than the other, and they're certainly not mutually exclusive.  You say you've always felt you were destined to do great things.  What kinds of things do you mean?  As Jenett pointed out, "doing great things" can mean very different things to different people.  Are you talking about career goals?  If so, what kind(s) of work and is that work tied to a particular place?  

F'ex, you can't be a U.S. Senator without moving to Washington, at least for a while, but you can be active in local politics and get some very important things done without moving at all, or you can get involved at the state level and only move a short distance away (depending on your state).  You can't win a Tony without spending some serious time in New York, but you can do fantastic and creative work in a local regional theater or even a community theater.

(Apologies for the U.S.-centric examples.  That's what I know the most about.  But the principle holds for other places, I think.)  

The examples you gave about bar tending at the beach, etc., don't really strike me as "Doing Great Things" so much as doing mundane things in more exotic places than where you live now. It might help to think through what you want to do and where you need to be to do it.

Third, I think it's important to be realistic when you think about going somewhere new and different (and maybe exotic) to work, and to realize that you're going to have exactly the same day-to-day things to deal with regardless of where you live.  You'll still need to pay the rent, buy food, find transportation, etc.

My husband and I were recently hired to do a short-term job in Hawai'i.  It was a fantastic experience and I loved every minute of it. Hawai'i is Paradise.  But going to work in Paradise is still going to work.  We still had to get up in the morning and spend all day working.  We still had to go to the grocery store and put gas in the car and deal with traffic jams and do laundry and wash dishes.  And all that used up most of our spare time while we were working, and didn't leave much time for adventures.  Living somewhere exotic does not mean you escape all that mundane stuff.

Aisling suggested checking out volunteer programs that send you places to work for short periods of time.  That sounds like a great idea.  Have you looked into any programs like that -- like the Peace Corps, f'ex, or one of those programs that provides English teachers in other countries?  My god-daughter is spending this year in Korea teaching English and having a blast exploring and meeting new people.  Something like that might help you figure out what kinds of work, travel, and life experiences you're looking for.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it sounds to me like you *really* need to figure these things out before you make any more commitments to your fiance.  Or you're likely to end up feeling trapped and resentful.

Good luck!
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Tags: