Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Heathen and Rune Magic  (Read 2330 times)

Themagicalone

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Heathen and Rune Magic
« on: October 29, 2013, 11:36:37 am »
I am hoping someone can help me with this and answer my question. Does ANYONE know Heathen or Rune magic I could practice or know of any books dedicated to that practice. I want to learn some for self defense and to become more powerful spiritually. Any Heathen magic books that you know of or any sites would be appreciated.

Enid

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Heathen and Rune Magic
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 06:40:01 pm »
Quote from: Themagicalone;127451
I am hoping someone can help me with this and answer my question. Does ANYONE know Heathen or Rune magic I could practice or know of any books dedicated to that practice. I want to learn some for self defense and to become more powerful spiritually. Any Heathen magic books that you know of or any sites would be appreciated.

Ben Wagoner's translation of Norse Magic and Herbal Healing is good, if you can see past the Christianization since it is a later work in Iceland from the 1500's.

I think Diana Paxon's Taking Up the Runes is probably one of the best rune books for a beginner and contains some rune magic as well.
Crazy, Skeptic Pagan - Just a skeptical druid blogging about religion, mental illness, and whatever else triggers my fancy

The Little Rock Pagan Meetup - Come Meet Some Awesome Pagans!

Hyacinth Belle

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 08:05:14 pm »
Quote from: Enid;127518
I think Diana Paxon's Taking Up the Runes is probably one of the best rune books for a beginner and contains some rune magic as well.

I have this, and it is fairly comprehensive in a Wiccish way.

If you are of a reconstructionist persuasion, be aware that there is no historical evidence for the runes being used for much of anything beyond a writing system.
"Silent and thoughtful a prince\'s son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

Enid

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 10:32:03 pm »
Quote from: Hyacinth Belle;127528
I have this, and it is fairly comprehensive in a Wiccish way.

If you are of a reconstructionist persuasion, be aware that there is no historical evidence for the runes being used for much of anything beyond a writing system.

I would not call it Wiccanish. I would call it what it actually is - based on core shamanism. Compared to books like Bloom, it's solid and useful.

Just because something wasn't used historically for divination, doesn't invalidate it as a tool for modern people.
Crazy, Skeptic Pagan - Just a skeptical druid blogging about religion, mental illness, and whatever else triggers my fancy

The Little Rock Pagan Meetup - Come Meet Some Awesome Pagans!

Themagicalone

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 12:12:55 pm »
Quote from: Enid;127518
Ben Wagoner's translation of Norse Magic and Herbal Healing is good, if you can see past the Christianization since it is a later work in Iceland from the 1500's.

It does seem interesting. I'm up for any Heathen magic whether it's in the form of a book or e-book or whatever. I would want to know some remedies rituals and magic to protect myself spiritually against harmful spells or curses, heal myself defend myself, maybe sense and use auras, anything holy and good to help myself and others. I don't mind the Christianization. Even though I'm a Heathen, I see Christianity as one of many paths to choose, I just agree with Heathenry more. I might check out the paperback or e-book version of this and check it out to see if it's really good and authentic.

Also I know runes is an alphabet but I heard certain rituals and charms were used when speaking runic or carving runes into stones, so I assumed that runes were used for magical incantations, like if one were to use Hindu magic they might use Sankrit or if they were to use Taoist magic they might speak Chinese to invoke or cast spells though.

Hyacinth Belle

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 05:12:28 pm »
Quote from: Enid;127546
I would not call it Wiccanish. I would call it what it actually is - based on core shamanism. Compared to books like Bloom, it's solid and useful.

I have nothing against this book (like I said, I own it), but I suppose by "Wiccanish" I meant more likely "not reconstructionist." And your term of shamanism is likely even more accurate, but not something I could come up with myself necessarily, as I've no background in shamanism. And even saying that it's not reconstructionist, there is some basic Norse mythology stuff in there people will likely find useful. I think it's a fine book!

Just because something wasn't used historically for divination, doesn't invalidate it as a tool for modern people.

I agree. I've done rudimentary (very!) rune magic with success myself. I just wanted to make sure the OP didn't think they were following a "Viking path" or something, because there's no historical basis for that. It's a common assumption / misconception that I wanted to make sure was clear on what is titled a beginner board.
"Silent and thoughtful a prince\'s son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

Themagicalone

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 04:49:08 pm »
Quote from: Hyacinth Belle;127625
I have nothing against this book (like I said, I own it), but I suppose by "Wiccanish" I meant more likely "not reconstructionist." And your term of shamanism is likely even more accurate, but not something I could come up with myself necessarily, as I've no background in shamanism. And even saying that it's not reconstructionist, there is some basic Norse mythology stuff in there people will likely find useful. I think it's a fine book!

I agree. I've done rudimentary (very!) rune magic with success myself. I just wanted to make sure the OP didn't think they were following a "Viking path" or something, because there's no historical basis for that. It's a common assumption / misconception that I wanted to make sure was clear on what is titled a beginner board.

I hear it is a good book. I also heard these were good books too.

THE RUNE PRIMER by Sweyn Plowright
NORTHERN MYSTERIES & MAGICK by Freya Aswynn
The collective works of Edred Thorsson,
including FUTHARK and RUNELORE
TAKING UP THE RUNES by Diana Paxson
THE POETIC EDDA trans. by Lee M. Hollander
THE POETIC EDDA trans. by Carolyne Larrington
ELEMENTS OF RUNES by Bernard King
TEUTONIC MAGIC by Kveldulf Gundarsson
PRACTICAL RUNE MAGIC vol I by Rick R. Wilson

"Should Haves"

PRINCIPALS OF RUNES by Freya Aswynn
RUNE MAGIC by Nigel Pennick
HELRUNAR by Jan Fries (advanced)
TEUTONIC RELIGION by Kveldulf Gundarsson

I was wondering if anyone here read any of these books and I wanted to ask if these books were also good and authentic.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 06:54:03 pm »

I'm surprised no one in this thread seems to have yet mentioned this website.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 07:26:03 pm »
Quote from: Themagicalone;128983
I hear it is a good book. I also heard these were good books too.

THE RUNE PRIMER by Sweyn Plowright
NORTHERN MYSTERIES & MAGICK by Freya Aswynn
The collective works of Edred Thorsson,
including FUTHARK and RUNELORE
TAKING UP THE RUNES by Diana Paxson
THE POETIC EDDA trans. by Lee M. Hollander
THE POETIC EDDA trans. by Carolyne Larrington
ELEMENTS OF RUNES by Bernard King
TEUTONIC MAGIC by Kveldulf Gundarsson
PRACTICAL RUNE MAGIC vol I by Rick R. Wilson

"Should Haves"

PRINCIPALS OF RUNES by Freya Aswynn
RUNE MAGIC by Nigel Pennick
HELRUNAR by Jan Fries (advanced)
TEUTONIC RELIGION by Kveldulf Gundarsson

I was wondering if anyone here read any of these books and I wanted to ask if these books were also good and authentic.

Depends what you mean by 'authentic'. If you mean 'accurate to the best of our knowledge, about ancient heathen practice', I know that at least some of them are not - but that might be a higher bar than you have in mind, and it's not always a useful standard for modern practice.

I'm not a heathen or recon, so I'm not familiar with all of these, and only vaguely familiar with some, but it looks to me like it covers the spectrum from 'highly regarded by heathen recons' (ISTR that Hollander's translation of the Poetic Edda is widely preferred? If my recollection is faulty, hopefully one of our Asatruar members will come along and correct me) to 'have a worldview far more in tune with neoPagan approaches, than with reconstructed Heathenry'. (In the - partial - defense of folks like Aswynn, Paxson, and Thorsson, they predate reconstructionism as we know it, and their early work laid many of the first stones on the path away from the generic/Wiccish/'Wicca in a horned helmet' approaches - but while they might at one time have been the cutting edge of 'Heathenry should not be so Wiccish', that cutting edge kept moving, and they, in varying degrees, didn't.)

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Aiwelin

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 09:03:15 am »

You migh also be interested in Alaric Albertsson's "Wyrworking: the Path of a Saxon Sorcerer".  It's a fantastic guide to rune magic, but covers the Anglo-Saxon runes, which are a bit different from the more common Elder Futhark.
Devotee of Nerthus
Worshipper of Germanic Deities
Now blogging on Patheos Pagan!  Check out Heathen at Heart

In the Nebraska-Iowa area?  Come check out Prairie Shadow Protogrove, ADF!
Ár nDraíocht Féin
The Troth

Tags: