Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Games: Favorite Survival/Horror games  (Read 6616 times)

Nothingness

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
  • Religion: Celtic Shamanic Wicca, currently studing Druidry and I'm in OBOD.
Re: Favorite Survival/Horror games
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2015, 04:51:03 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;126757
In the spirit of the season, what are your favorite games in the Survival/Horror category.

Mine are:
  • Silent Hill - the original still scares the crap out of me
  • Eternal Darkness
  • Clock Tower series  - the little girl with the knife!!!!!!!!!

I agree with Silent Hill, that one is really scary: the music, the atmosphere, the grainy visuals, the monsters, etc.

After that Silent Hill 2, that one too is scary, atmospheric,  but moodier and more melancholic.  And Pyramid Head is really impressive.

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines is one of my favorite games, and it does have really scary moments.  That game is a gem.

Clive Barker's Undying is also a scary game where you have to investigate a haunted mansion.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 04:52:59 pm by Nothingness »

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2021, 07:03:38 pm »
I'm not sure if fits the genre, but my favorite is the first Diablo.

Resurrecting a very old thread, because I came across it and wanted to say: Diablo is still worth re-playing, even now.  I'm not sure it's in the genre of survival/horror, but bits of it are very creepy and some bits also scary.

Diablo II, however, not the same.  Diablo III gave me some of the similar vibes as the first, but sadly still not quite the same (but better than II).

My friend gifted me Fallout 76 for my birthday, and I've not played any of the previous Fallout games, but I'm enjoying this one (we're playing together in a mini-team).  Yesterday we came across a little haunted summer camp type setup in the woods at random!  Really fun.  (Not sure if that's really in the genre either, but there are some mild parallels.)

Some people might enjoy Cry of Fear (on Steam - I swear it appeared on my computer and I don't know where it appeared from, I don't recall downloading it at all).

I downloaded a couple of others from Steam recently, and one (I suspect short) seems good:  Veneficium.  Also fun and atmospheric (though definitely short) was Summer of '58.  Oh, I nearly forgot: Fear in Hospital, wasn't bad.  (Some of these Steam ones are pretty short indeed, I assume some are made by folks wishing to showcase their programming skills and such - I mostly download the free ones, though I did pay a few quid for Summer of '58.)
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2021, 10:28:06 am »
Resurrecting a very old thread, because I came across it and wanted to say: Diablo is still worth re-playing, even now.  I'm not sure it's in the genre of survival/horror, but bits of it are very creepy and some bits also scary.

Diablo II, however, not the same.  Diablo III gave me some of the similar vibes as the first, but sadly still not quite the same (but better than II).

My friend gifted me Fallout 76 for my birthday, and I've not played any of the previous Fallout games, but I'm enjoying this one (we're playing together in a mini-team).  Yesterday we came across a little haunted summer camp type setup in the woods at random!  Really fun.  (Not sure if that's really in the genre either, but there are some mild parallels.)

Really interesting, I adore the Diablo Franchise, but I would probably rank 2 as the best, then 3 then one (in some ways the first with the Hellfire expansion is my favorite, but I just can't get back into playing it now).  The new remastered 2 is looking really nice, I played a little in one of the betas.  I feel like 3 did some things really great, but the focus on speed runs at end game just kills it for me (honestly the endgame gear grind for that last .001 in a stat is never fun for me, I just stop playing when I reach that point)

Fallout games are great, I need to give 76 another go (I went back to it a month or so ago, and then wandered off again lol)  The funny thing is, both hubby and I got it (and a couple of our other friends), but I've pretty much played it solo.  I remember we tried grouping up (right when it launched, so things might have been a bit buggy/unfinished still), and it was clunky (though I don't remember exactly how), so we ended up playing on our own (which is typically odd, if we can play a game together, we like to).

And funny how I didn't mention it the first time I posted in this thread, but I have to say 7d2d is probably my favorite survival/horror game (it only beats out Secret World because it's still being actively worked on).  It's just so satisfying, both on the zombie killing side and on the survival/base building side.  And there are quite a few great mods for it.  We typically play each new beta (it's been in beta for....years.....) until it gets too easy, then we load up mods and play around with those until the next new beta.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Tags: