collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Need Resources on Racism  (Read 1694 times)

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Need Resources on Racism
« on: October 23, 2013, 09:31:16 pm »
I have a young friend (22 years old) who has gotten on his soap box about "reverse racism" and how white people can experience just as much racism as any other group. I've known this young man since he was in middle school, and, given his family, I'm not surprised by his position.  I also know that he has experienced some pretty nasty harassment and discrimination based on his sexual orientation and his gender presentation.

He's pretty upset right now because someone on tumblr made some comment about how the opinions of white people don't count for anything.  (Personally, I think he should just stop hanging out on tumblr, but what do I know.)

Anyway, I'd like to try to get through to him and help him understand the difference between institutional racism and one person insulting another person because of race.  But I need some help.

So, I'm asking here because I know that there are many people deeply involved in this aspect of social justice.

Can anyone suggest websites that explain these issues and the various problematic arguments in an accessible way?

I'd appreciate any help anyone can give me.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Enid

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Need Resources on Racism
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 09:58:46 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;126618
Can anyone suggest websites that explain these issues and the various problematic arguments in an accessible way?

Unpacking The Invisible Knapsack is always a good place to start.
Crazy, Skeptic Pagan - Just a skeptical druid blogging about religion, mental illness, and whatever else triggers my fancy

The Little Rock Pagan Meetup - Come Meet Some Awesome Pagans!

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Need Resources on Racism
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 02:50:08 am »
Quote from: Enid;126619
Unpacking The Invisible Knapsack is always a good place to start.

Thank you!!

One thing I forgot to put in my OP:  I'd also be grateful for pointers or advice about how to talk to my friend about this issue in a way that will be more likely to help him really listen than cause him to shut me out.  Especially given that I am much older than he is.  

(He is a good friend of my younger daughter, but I have spent time alone with him -- like going out to lunch -- and I believe he trusts me and thinks of me as a friend, not just as the parent of a friend.)

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 03:42:41 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;126629

I'd also be grateful for pointers or advice about how to talk to my friend about this issue in a way that will be more likely to help him really listen than cause him to shut me out.

I would recommend to find an "in" individual to him. Right now, he seems to take it as very proscriptive. If he's firmly of the belief that human experience is human experience, then the statistics intended to illustrate systemic injustice and apply to life experiences of PoC and not white people, would only support the "self-serving excuse" that PoC would have about why we're such grouchbags--because he only sees it from an individual level, "This mean PoC makes it an issue when I wouldn't, but I'm the one hurt and that's more okay than if I dished out the same hurt." And refusing to consider that it wouldn't be the same hurt, it would be a tidal wave of systemic oppression compared to a splash.

It might even be proscriptive with his understanding of gender politics, so I'd actually start appealing to a kyriarchal aspect that he hasn't walled off, first. Well, maybe Chimamanda Adichie's "Danger of a Single Story" TEDtalk (transcript) -- video available on YouTube, as a mostly race and nationality specific address, and... More Tumblr.

Eminently surf-able, that is, if you have YouTube access: Rantasmo's Reviews of Pop Culture That Needs More Gay (particularly the Male Gaze)
This excellent article, "The Distress of the Privileged"
Shakesville's Feminism 101
Finally Feminism 101's Feminism 101

Byron's Hurt's Introduction to Feminism as a Black Male Feminist
And finally Intersectional Kyriarchy

...He might not be ready for . Well, maybe--being initiated by Jane Elliott, a white woman being demonstrably brusque to other white people in a "'reverse-racist' simulation" I am running out of quotation marks. That might be something, or it might be the opposite. You know him better, of course.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 03:45:30 am by Faemon »
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 12:28:49 pm »
Quote from: triple_entendre;126632
This excellent article, "The Distress of the Privileged"

This will probably become my go-to article for discussing privilege in a non-threatening and diplomatic way.  Plus Bill Macy is awesome.  ;)

Brina

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 04:59:47 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;126618
Anyway, I'd like to try to get through to him and help him understand the difference between institutional racism and one person insulting another person because of race.  But I need some help.

Does he play computer games?

http://whatever.scalzi.com/2012/05/15/straight-white-male-the-lowest-difficulty-setting-there-is/
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Need Resources on Racism
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 06:55:08 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;126683
Does he play computer games?

http://whatever.scalzi.com/2012/05/15/straight-white-male-the-lowest-difficulty-setting-there-is/

I see I have a lot of reading to do.   ;-)

Yes, he does play video games, so that approach might work.  

I'll look over the other links and maybe enlist my daughter to help me figure out the best way to proceed.

I really appreciate all the help.  Thanks so much, everyone!

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 05:27:04 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;126691
I really appreciate all the help.  Thanks so much, everyone!

I'm late to the party (because I'm still, very gradually, catching up after my hiatus this summer). Are you still looking for more resources? Because I can add a bunch, if so.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Need Resources on Racism
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 06:28:38 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;130721
I'm late to the party (because I'm still, very gradually, catching up after my hiatus this summer). Are you still looking for more resources? Because I can add a bunch, if so.

Sunflower

Yes.  This is an ongoing conversation -- which probably doesn't surprise anyone...

Thank you!

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 04:15:36 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;130726
Yes.  This is an ongoing conversation -- which probably doesn't surprise anyone...

Nope, not one bit. This stuff takes time to learn and internalize. That's part of why I have plenty of relevant links; I'm still working on it myself (the other part being that I Bookmark All The Things).

From the Daily Kos, Why There's No Such Thing as Reverse Racism - both 101-level, and thorough.
Accepting Kyriarchy, Not Apologies
Of Dogs and Lizards: A Parable of Privilege
A primer on privilege: what it is and what it isn't
White Privilege Shapes the US
How to Fuck Up - because sooner or later, no matter how sincere and dedicated you are to social justice, if you don't experience an axis of oppression, you will; this is my favorite piece on how to keep from making more of an ass of yourself than you already have.
What is Institutional Racism? - more academic, but still 101 level; it and the other pages it links to on the site might well be useful.
Yet another Tumblr, Racism 101
Jay Smooth's excellent hip-hop video blog, Ill Doctrine

Sunflower
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 04:20:41 pm by SunflowerP »
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 03:06:01 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;130775

Jay Smooth's excellent hip-hop video blog, Ill Doctrine

I had really been hoping to link a specific video by Jay Smooth, about the difference between 'you're (a) racist' and 'what you said/did was racist', but my computer's limitations, and the length of time since he did that one and how many he's done since, defeated me. But last night I saw a YouTube link to it (in the comments on a post on Jim Hines' blog), so of course I snagged it:

Sunflower

Tags: