Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Sea Based Deities  (Read 5840 times)

savveir

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Sea Based Deities
« on: October 23, 2013, 12:39:31 pm »
Does anyone work with, or know of any sea based Deities? I'd be interested to learn more about the area, as I have a strong interest(connection even) with the sea, but it's not really represented in my current practice.
"I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it."
-Lewis Carroll

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
Re: Sea Based Deities
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 01:23:09 pm »
Quote from: savvy;126547
Does anyone work with, or know of any sea based Deities? I'd be interested to learn more about the area, as I have a strong interest(connection even) with the sea, but it's not really represented in my current practice.
Manannán mac Lir is the Celtic(Gaelic) God of the Sea.
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

savveir

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 01:31:24 pm »
Quote from: Cryfder;126554
Manannán mac Lir is the Celtic(Gaelic) God of the Sea.

So I've heard. I'm referring to Baltic and/or Slavic deities though, since that's the area I'm working in. (hence the location in the sig).
"I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it."
-Lewis Carroll

KatieCoy83

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Sea Based Deities
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 02:05:13 pm »

I'm glad you brought this up. My element is water and have always had a strong rush stepping into the surf. I also have a tradion of tasting the water. Not a big slurp or anything lol but enough to wet my lips.
I feel the connection.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 02:24:15 pm »
Quote from: savvy;126557
So I've heard. I'm referring to Baltic and/or Slavic deities though, since that's the area I'm working in. (hence the location in the sig).

I've heard of Bangpūtys/Vėjopatis in the Lithuanian, usually they're said to be the same deity, who I'd equate with Aegir or maybe Hraesvelgr in the Norse tradition but there's almost nothing about him out there so all I could dump on you are some vague thoughts.

One of the many Mate or Mothers named in Latvia is the Bangu Mate or Wave Mother. Beyond the translation I can give you nothing on her either, but my instinct would be to start with the Norse Ran, I suppose, and see how far I got.

I seem to remember seeing Veles associated with the sea in the sense of the land of the dead being "across the sea" but beyond that I've got nothing.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 04:53:00 pm »
Quote from: savvy;126557
Sorry about that I wasn't paying close enough attention. Carry on! Hope you find one.
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 12:11:38 am »

Sorry about the delay, been a bit overwhelmed with real world upheavals recently. :P

I don't separate the sea from other waters, but these are my two water deities.

Vodnar

aka: god of waters, Triton, Enoch, Povodni mož, vodovnik, jezernik, vodanoj, Tarator/Tartor

He dwells at the bottom of rivers/lakes, is often considered to be malicious but occasionally benevolent. He lives in a castle beneath the sea and is not always considered to be a deity; sometimes more of a water sprite (depends on the dating of the evidence-the further back you go, the more he is depicted as a spirit rather than a deity).

Živa

Comparable to a nymph and a divine figure symbolizing the female. "Living water" as water is a creative, female, maternal, conceiving and life-giving force. Symbolizes "living."

:)

Żmisław Trygławic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 04:37:08 am »

Gosk / Gostk is kashubian (northern Poland) God of the sea, especially of the storms. He is thunder-wielding (similar to Perun). He's of course mostly related with the Baltic Sea. He is the father of Jurata (read: Yurata), the Goddess-mermaid which comes from lithuanian beliefs (in lithuanian: Jūratė). Yurata lives in amber palace on the bottom of the Baltic Sea and she's the queen of sea nymphs. In some legends she was killed by angry Perkūnas (her father in lithuanian beliefs), because she fell in love with Kastytis, the ordinary mortal.

I think that Veles is also related with the sea, because he transports souls by boat through the sea (in baptised traditions saint Nicholas do it, but he only replaced Veles). The water is border between our world and world of the dead.

PrincessKLS

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: goddess worship grey, folk magick, hoodoo inspired.
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 04:32:20 am »

I don't as of now or ever but I do have a question. If you don't live close enough to an ocean or a huge natural lake/river, could you still worship these deities?
PrincessKLS

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 11:18:05 pm »
Quote from: PrincessKLS;176029
I don't as of now or ever but I do have a question. If you don't live close enough to an ocean or a huge natural lake/river, could you still worship these deities?

Of course. Water is everywhere, fresh water (including rain, moisture in the soil and plants, in your faucet, in small streams, etc...) is sea water with the sodium removed. It's all connected. Brackish water is the in-between water made from the mixing of sea and river (where rivers enter the seas), so there is clearly a crossover.

You could always make a road trip to a large body of water every so often to "reconnect" or do something of a pilgrimage too. :)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 11:19:39 pm by Laveth »

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2015, 11:37:15 pm »
Quote from: PrincessKLS;176029

Perhaps this is a question worth posting in an appropriate location, if you would like to discuss it?
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

StardustsMonster

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
    • http://s15.zetaboards.com/Huntwitch/site/
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2015, 03:20:23 am »

My religion works with Sea as a deity. :)

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2015, 11:46:56 pm »
Quote from: StardustsMonster;176066

A Reminder:
Hi, everyone,

Just a reminder that this thread (as has been noted earlier in the thread, as well) is in the Baltic and Slavic Paganism SIG, and that discussion should centre on the thread subject (sea-based deities) as it applies to Baltic and Slavic religions. If people would like to have a discussion about sea-based deities more generally, you're welcome to start a thread in the main forums to do so.

Thanks!
Sunflower, TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Tags: