collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Are CRs interested in new CR paths?  (Read 1751 times)

Materialist

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Are CRs interested in new CR paths?
« on: October 16, 2013, 06:09:35 pm »
I sometimes think about posting my findings on Romano-British religion, but I also think sometimes that it's just a hobby of mine that no one else would find interesting. I started my research because I found CR to often be synonymous with Irish-this-and-Irish-that. When the occasional Amldduwiaeth makes an entrance things appear centered around the Mabinogion or other late literature.

Interest in the pre-Anglo-Saxon paganisms of England don't seem to be on the radar to me, the era of history I've always found the most fascinating. But still, is this just an eccentricity of mine? Is anyone else interested?

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
Re: Are CRs interested in new CR paths?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 06:52:31 pm »
Quote from: Materialist;125675
I sometimes think about posting my findings on Romano-British religion, but I also think sometimes that it's just a hobby of mine that no one else would find interesting. I started my research because I found CR to often be synonymous with Irish-this-and-Irish-that. When the occasional Amldduwiaeth makes an entrance things appear centered around the Mabinogion or other late literature.

Interest in the pre-Anglo-Saxon paganisms of England don't seem to be on the radar to me, the era of history I've always found the most fascinating. But still, is this just an eccentricity of mine? Is anyone else interested?
Brythonic Polytheism is what it's called. There are people out there that are involved in the practice. I used to be one of them. I would be willing to share ideas and have a good discussion on the subject. There is a group out there called Brython that focuses on pre-roman and pre anglo-saxon britain. http://www.dunbrython.org/
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 06:53:09 pm by Cabal »
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

Sophia C

• View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
Are CRs interested in new CR paths?
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 02:55:04 am »

You would find that quite a number of Pagans based in Britain honour Brythonic gods. I have a friend in ADF who primarily honours her local pre-Christian gods. As she lives in London, these are the Brythonic and Romano-Celtic gods.

Having recently moved back to London, I'm trying to research the local gods here. It's tricky - largely based on inscriptions and guess-work from place names. The River Brent *may* be Brigantia's. The River Lea may be linked to Lugos. My local tribe would have been the Catuvellauni, who had a war god whose name is unknown, but might have been Camulos. My next task is to attempt to give him offerings. I've already been hanging out at the rivers, and honouring their gods - which is where I usually start in a new area.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Materialist

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 01:29:48 pm »
Quote from: Cryfder;125686
Brythonic Polytheism is what it's called. There are people out there that are involved in the practice. I used to be one of them. I would be willing to share ideas and have a good discussion on the subject. There is a group out there called Brython that focuses on pre-roman and pre anglo-saxon britain. http://www.dunbrython.org/

Now I feel like the gay kid in high school who thought he was the only one. Well, I read through the whole website and there's a lot of similarities, we've read some of the same books, but the big difference is in the festivals. Completely different. Maybe it's because I've been inspired by the work of Martin Henig, or maybe this Brython community lives in a city, while I'm in a rural area.

Having a chat about it would be nice, I've been in total isolation on the matter with only old journal articles as companions. It would help me organize my thoughts as well.

PaganNotPerfect

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 02:32:52 am »

I am a Brythonic Pagan. If there's anything you want to know about it, I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you have as best I can. I try to keep the "Romano" part out when I can, personally. But, I'd be happy to answer anything you want to know.

Tags: