500 Experience Points1 year registered
    Ubenma'at is on a distinguished road Ubenma'at's Avatar
    Last Online
    26 Sep 2014 @ 03:36 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Kemetic

Are there "appropriate" and "inappropriate" shrine icons?

I'm curious mainly due to my own finickiness regarding aesthetics. If the best Isis statue I see is, for example, a candle holder; is it inappropriate to use it in my shrine as a representative of Isis? Furthermore, does anybody think something like this may unintentionally offend a God?

My thanks in advance.

Journeyman Achievements:
    Created Album picturesRecommendation Second Class1000 Experience PointsThree FriendsVeteran
    Neteruhemta RaShuSet will become famous soon enough Neteruhemta RaShuSet will become famous soon enough Neteruhemta RaShuSet's Avatar
    Last Online
    7 Jul 2016 @ 09:31 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Adaptive Kemetic Reconstructionist

Re: Are there "appropriate" and "inappropriate" shrine icons?

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus Mellifera View Post
    I'm curious mainly due to my own finickiness regarding aesthetics. If the best Isis statue I see is, for example, a candle holder; is it inappropriate to use it in my shrine as a representative of Isis? Furthermore, does anybody think something like this may unintentionally offend a God?

My thanks in advance.

I don't think it's offensive at all. In my practice, I assign representations I'm comfortable with to make a connection between myself and Them.

As you are questing for items, you could always ask Them as you're making decisions.

Adept Member Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassThree FriendsYour first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First Class
    Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:51 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Fictional Reconstructionist, imaginary Baltic heathen, Loki-adjacent, small p polytheist and UU
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

My thanks in advance.
    I'm not sure how Bast would feel if I put a Hello Kitty figurine in a shrine to her, but I don't see any problem with using a candle holder if that's the nicest figure you find.
    Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
    "Jack, you are gravely disordered." - Castus
    "[Jack], you are embracing a lie which will ultimately prove destructive to you and those around you and for which there will be consequences." - ehbowen

Adept Member

Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesOverdrive
    veggiewolf is a splendid one to behold veggiewolf is a splendid one to behold veggiewolf is a splendid one to behold veggiewolf is a splendid one to behold veggiewolf is a splendid one to behold veggiewolf is a splendid one to behold veggiewolf's Avatar
    Last Online
    23 Sep 2015 @ 06:13 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Words Mean Things; Kemetic God-Slave; FlameKeeper; Reluctant Mystic; Hmtadpmt
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

My thanks in advance.
    When I was looking for a Set icon, he specifically requested an aardvark. It took me months to find something but I finally did - a hand-blown glass aardvark figure.

Is it traditional? No. Is it appropriate? According to the god in question, Yes.
    Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
    Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
    "I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
    "...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Master Member

Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Sobekemiti will become famous soon enough Sobekemiti will become famous soon enough Sobekemiti's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:55 AM
    Country
    Australia
    Religion
    Hem-Netjer; Witch; Polytheist; Scribe; Kemetic Monastic; Druid-In-Training (ADF)
    Pronouns
    xe/hir/xem

My thanks in advance.
    I have traditional icons, for the most part, but I also use other figures in shrine if it's meaningful. Like, I have a Feraligatr figure for Sobek, because it's a Pokémon that reminds me of Him. It's not traditional, but it's what works for us, and He doesn't find it offensive. He was the one who latched onto that Pokémon in the first place.

But I tend to think shrines to gods are better when they're filled with meaningful things that speak to us. So if your candle holder means Isis to you more than anything else you can reasonably acquire at this point, by all means use it. I doubt She will mind if that's what speaks to you the best. You could always ask Her, if you're worried about offending Her.
    Sobekemiti Isetemsaf | Queer Polytheist and Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are xe/hir/xem
    Dreamwidth Journal | Per Sebek: The House of Sebek
    Shedety Scriptorium - my new Etsy shop, selling handmade journals, prayer beads, and other sacred items.

Apprentice Achievements:
    500 Experience Points1 year registered
    Ubenma'at is on a distinguished road Ubenma'at's Avatar
    Last Online
    26 Sep 2014 @ 03:36 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Kemetic

Thanks very much, everyone!

Senior Master Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    missgraceless is on a distinguished road missgraceless's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:13 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Eclectic mix of beliefs with Buddhist leanings
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

My thanks in advance.
    If you're happy with a candleholder to represent Isis, then by all means go for it. But like everyone else said, as Her if you're so worried.

Quote Originally Posted by veggiewolf View Post
    When I was looking for a Set icon, he specifically requested an aardvark. It took me months to find something but I finally did - a hand-blown glass aardvark figure.

Is it traditional? No. Is it appropriate? According to the god in question, Yes.
    Quan Yin asked me for an owl on Her shrine. It took some initial searching, but I found two figurines from Etsy, one pewter and one lead-crystal. I guess She liked the idea of Boggle the Owl (he's on Tumblr, look him up) as an internet representation of Her compassion.
    "Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." ~ Morticia Addams

Staff Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album pictures10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Tana has a spectacular aura about Tana has a spectacular aura about Tana's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    Germany
    Religion
    Primal Witchcraft

Quote Originally Posted by missgraceless View Post
    I guess She liked the idea of Boggle the Owl (he's on Tumblr, look him up) as an internet representation of Her compassion.
    Oh, now you mention it, yes! That does fit nicely.

What we must not forget is, that artistic representations of deity are also always an expression of their time and the way the humans making them felt about the divine in question.

I think it is not only ok, to find things one personally can connect to, but also important. As long as the deity won't object. (Hehe, Jack, I can see how Hello Kitty would be a tad bit... erm... yeah, bringing on the apocalypse from Her. LoL)
    'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
    That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
    You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
    All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.'
    Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

Confuzzled and proud.

Adept Member

Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesOverdrive
    veggiewolf is a splendid one to behold veggiewolf is a splendid one to behold veggiewolf is a splendid one to behold veggiewolf is a splendid one to behold veggiewolf is a splendid one to behold veggiewolf is a splendid one to behold veggiewolf's Avatar
    Last Online
    23 Sep 2015 @ 06:13 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Words Mean Things; Kemetic God-Slave; FlameKeeper; Reluctant Mystic; Hmtadpmt
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

Quote Originally Posted by Tana View Post
    Oh, now you mention it, yes! That does fit nicely.

What we must not forget is, that artistic representations of deity are also always an expression of their time and the way the humans making them felt about the divine in question.

I think it is not only ok, to find things one personally can connect to, but also important. As long as the deity won't object. (Hehe, Jack, I can see how Hello Kitty would be a tad bit... erm... yeah, bringing on the apocalypse from Her. LoL)
    As in - "Hai, Pharaoh! I can haz unbeliever hearts now???"
    Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
    Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
    "I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
    "...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Staff Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album pictures10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Tana has a spectacular aura about Tana has a spectacular aura about Tana's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    Germany
    Religion
    Primal Witchcraft

Quote Originally Posted by veggiewolf View Post
    As in - "Hai, Pharaoh! I can haz unbeliever hearts now???"
    And the new internet page would be named icanhazbloodbath.
    'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
    That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
    You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
    All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.'
    Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

Confuzzled and proud.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast