+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Journeyman Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1 year registered1000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    BunnyMaz is on a distinguished road BunnyMaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Online
    17 Dec 2012 @ 12:04 AM
    Country
    UK
    Location
    Kent, UK
    Religion
    A bit of a mismash of a few things
    Posts
    122

    A question about Norse Gods and Goddesses

    I've been rather curious about the Norse pantheon for a while, now. I feel particularly keen on Odin, and I've been doing some online research into the entire pantheon to try and get a better feel for things.

    Aaaaand I seem to be coming up very confused!

    Today, I've been trying to find out more about the Norse representations of the Sun and Moon. Some sources I have found describe Mani and Sol as the God and Goddess of the Moon and Sun respectively, whilst others specify that they are just the children of a mortal man, set to drive the chariots pulling the Sun and Moon, not gods in their own right. Some sources attribute Freyja as a "suspected" Goddess of the Sun, noting her association with gold, whilst others make no mention of this. I found some sources purporting to describe the Norse god of the moon, which then simply described Ran. Still more sources simply state that the sun, moon and stars were all formed from sparks and embers from Muspelheim.

    Is anyone able to point me in the direction of a reliable source of information on this? Is this a matter of controversy/uncertainty, or have I just been running into a lot of internet bollocks?

  2. #2
    Senior Master Member Achievements:
    Your first GroupThree Friends5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lokabrenna has a spectacular aura about Lokabrenna has a spectacular aura about Lokabrenna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Online
    29 Jan 2015 @ 12:54 PM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Vanic Pagan
    Pronouns
    she/her/her
    Posts
    829

    Re: A question about Norse Gods and Goddesses

    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyMaz View Post
    Is anyone able to point me in the direction of a reliable source of information on this? Is this a matter of controversy/uncertainty, or have I just been running into a lot of internet bollocks?
    I'd say one of each.

    Okay, seriously now, I started a topic related to this on the old board: http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=15729.0 (The first page is particularly relevant to this discussion.)

    My personal opinion is that Mani and Sunna are gods (or humans who were deified) but there are people who disagree and say that Mani and Sunna just pull the heavenly bodies around. I can see someone making a case for Freyja (and Freyr) having solar associations. The thing about Ran made me scratch my head though. I think of her more as a personification of "the deep", the dark, sinister side of the sea.

    There's a devotional anthology to the sun and moon by a *certain* controversial author who shall remain nameless: http://www.amazon.com/Day-Star-Whirl...2589173&sr=8-1 You can also find the book on Lulu. Somebody else can probably point you in the direction of more scholarly sources, if that's what you're looking for.

  3. #3
    Staff Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdrive25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Melamphoros is a jewel in the rough Melamphoros is a jewel in the rough Melamphoros is a jewel in the rough Melamphoros is a jewel in the rough Melamphoros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Online
    6 Oct 2015 @ 12:05 AM
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Virginia, US
    Religion
    Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
    Posts
    2,746

    Re: A question about Norse Gods and Goddesses

    Quote Originally Posted by Lokabrenna View Post
    My personal opinion is that Mani and Sunna are gods (or humans who were deified) but there are people who disagree and say that Mani and Sunna just pull the heavenly bodies around.
    So they represent the gravitational pull and rotation of the Earth, respectively?


    Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
    My Spiritual Blog

  4. #4
    Journeyman Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1 year registered1000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    BunnyMaz is on a distinguished road BunnyMaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Online
    17 Dec 2012 @ 12:04 AM
    Country
    UK
    Location
    Kent, UK
    Religion
    A bit of a mismash of a few things
    Posts
    122

    Re: A question about Norse Gods and Goddesses

    Quote Originally Posted by Lokabrenna View Post
    I'd say one of each.

    Okay, seriously now, I started a topic related to this on the old board: http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=15729.0 (The first page is particularly relevant to this discussion.)

    My personal opinion is that Mani and Sunna are gods (or humans who were deified) but there are people who disagree and say that Mani and Sunna just pull the heavenly bodies around. I can see someone making a case for Freyja (and Freyr) having solar associations. The thing about Ran made me scratch my head though. I think of her more as a personification of "the deep", the dark, sinister side of the sea.

    There's a devotional anthology to the sun and moon by a *certain* controversial author who shall remain nameless: http://www.amazon.com/Day-Star-Whirl...2589173&sr=8-1 You can also find the book on Lulu. Somebody else can probably point you in the direction of more scholarly sources, if that's what you're looking for.
    Thank you so much! Hmmm... I have heard a little about the controversy surrounding that certain someone. I'm guessing any reading I do of her work will need to be done with a heaping bowl of salt at the ready?

    The Ran thing confused me, I must admit. I don't know if perhaps the sources pulled that one out of their rears on the basis of OCEAN=TIDES=MOONLULZ, or something.

    The big thing that gets me is that, if one takes the stance that Mani and Sunna are not deities, then while we might make a case for Freyr/Freyja as the Sun, there doesn't seem to be anyone else attributable to the moon?
    Last edited by BunnyMaz; 5 Aug 2011 at 07:26 PM. Reason: next time I should finish thinking before I press "post"

  5. #5
    Senior Apprentice Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Mata is on a distinguished road Mata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Online
    9 Aug 2013 @ 12:03 AM
    Country
    USA
    Location
    North Carolina
    Religion
    None
    Posts
    92

    Re: A question about Norse Gods and Goddesses

    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyMaz View Post
    I've been rather curious about the Norse pantheon for a while, now. I feel particularly keen on Odin, and I've been doing some online research into the entire pantheon to try and get a better feel for things.

    Aaaaand I seem to be coming up very confused!

    Today, I've been trying to find out more about the Norse representations of the Sun and Moon. Some sources I have found describe Mani and Sol as the God and Goddess of the Moon and Sun respectively, whilst others specify that they are just the children of a mortal man, set to drive the chariots pulling the Sun and Moon, not gods in their own right. Some sources attribute Freyja as a "suspected" Goddess of the Sun, noting her association with gold, whilst others make no mention of this. I found some sources purporting to describe the Norse god of the moon, which then simply described Ran. Still more sources simply state that the sun, moon and stars were all formed from sparks and embers from Muspelheim.

    Is anyone able to point me in the direction of a reliable source of information on this? Is this a matter of controversy/uncertainty, or have I just been running into a lot of internet bollocks?
    I don't think Ran has any lunar associations. But I am no expert. I am unsure about Freyja having any sun attributes. Although Freyr does seem to have a lot to do with light in general, since in one of the Edda's (sorry can't remember which one) he's stated as being given Alfheim as a tooth gift, and Alfheim is considered where the light-elves live. So it's not a stretch to see him as having power over sunlight, even if he's not the sun or pulls it through the sky like Helios or Ra.

    I might be wrong though.

  6. #6
    Senior Staff Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupCreated Album picturesOverdriveRecommendation Second Class
    SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP is a splendid one to behold SunflowerP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:41 PM
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Religion
    Religious Witchcraft
    Pronouns
    sie/hir/hirs
    Posts
    6,715
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyMaz View Post
    Thank you so much! Hmmm... I have heard a little about the controversy surrounding that certain someone. I'm guessing any reading I do of her work will need to be done with a heaping bowl of salt at the ready?
    This postof mine on the archive board (as well as many other posts in that thread) should give you a better idea what sort of salt.

    The big thing that gets me is that, if one takes the stance that Mani and Sunna are not deities, then while we might make a case for Freyr/Freyja as the Sun, there doesn't seem to be anyone else attributable to the moon?
    Which gets to the really huge gaping hole in "universalist" eclectic archetypal plug-n-play: not every ancient culture considered the sun and moon to be things with which to associate anthropomorphic deities. (Likewise all sorts of other aspects of associations with/perceptions of deities - even the collective nouns we use, like "gods" and "deities" and "pantheon", are terms of convenience that work best at a superficial level.)

    Sunflower

  7. #7
    Master Member
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Hyacinth Belle will become famous soon enough Hyacinth Belle will become famous soon enough Hyacinth Belle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Online
    20 Mar 2017 @ 06:53 AM
    Country
    USA
    Location
    PA, USA
    Religion
    Taoist Heathen
    Pronouns
    she / her / hers
    Posts
    435

    Re: A question about Norse Gods and Goddesses

    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyMaz View Post
    Is anyone able to point me in the direction of a reliable source of information on this? Is this a matter of controversy/uncertainty, or have I just been running into a lot of internet bollocks?
    IMO, Freyja is NOT "the sun goddess." Sunna all the way!

    FWIW, I too feel drawn to both Odin and Sunna. Now that I think about it, I think they balance each other out pretty well. lol.

    Here is what Lindow's Norse Mythology has to say about Sol. (pg. 278 - 9) Might throw some light on what Sunflower was just talking about with "sun = god/dess" assumption. Hopefully y'all don't mind me posting it.

    The sun, personified.

    Although the sun is mentioned frequently in older poetry, it is seldom personified. Even a kenning like "hall of the sun" for sky may not suggest personification, given the rules of kenning formation. In poetry, only Vafthrudnismal is certain in its personification of the sun. In stanza 22 Odin asks the wise giant Vafthrudnir whence the moon and sun came to travel over people. The giant responds in stanza 23:

    "Mundilfoeri he is called, the father of Mani
    And also of Sol the same;
    Into heaven shall they turn each day,
    So that people can reckon years."

    Snorri concocts a somewhat different story in Gylfaginning: Mundilfoeri is a man who had two children who were so beautiful that he named them Mani and Sol (i.e., Moon and Sun), and he married Sol to a man called Glen. The gods punished this act of pride by placing the children in heaven to serve the actual heavenly bodies, their creation.

    "Sol drives those horses that pull the carriage of that sun that the gods had created to light the worlds, out of that spark that flew from Muspellsheim. Those horses are called Arvak and Alsvin; and under the span of the horses the gods put two wind bellows to cool them, and in some learning that is called Isarnkol."

    Sol's brother Mani controls the motion of the moon and its waxings and wanings. That Sol is female and Mani male probably has to do with the grammatical gender of the nouns: Sol is feminine and Mani masculine. Mani may have had some connection with the race of giants, but no such connection is suggest for Sol. Sol's husband Glen is unknown outside this passage.

    When Voluspa, stanza 57, says of Ragnarok that "[t]he sun turns black, the earth sinks into the sea," there is no indication that either is personified. In Gylfaginning, however, Snorri continues his account of the personified sun. Gangleri begins the exchange:

    "'The sun moves fast, and almost as if she were frightened; she would not hasten her journey more, if she feared her death.' Then Har answers: 'It is not surprising that show goes quickly. The one who seeks here is right nearby, and she has no other way out than to run away.' Then Gangleri said: 'Who is it who makes this trouble?' Har says: 'It is two wolves, and the one who chases her is Skill; she is afraid of him, and he will take her, and the one who runs in front of her is called Hati Hrodvitnisson, and he will take the moon.'"

    I rendered the last word of this passage "moon," although it can mean either sun or moon. (Try reading the passage to see what sense you make of it if Hati too takes the sun." I have also rendered the animate pronoun "she" and "her," even though Snorri's use of the definite article at the beginning of the passage may suggest that he has dropped the personification or is speaking of the sun the gods created; I used the animate pronoun because I have trouble imagining a spark experiencing fear. Snorri is following Grimnismal, stanza 39 here, but that passage is silent on whether Hati will attack either heavenly body.

    Snorri ends the catalog of the asynjur that comes later in Gylfaginning with a note to the effect that Sol and Bil, "whose natures were explained above," are numbered among them.

    The sun was of course a focus of older nature mythological and solar mythological interpretations of Scandinavian and other mythologies, but as the relatively short length of this article shows, it would not be easy to make a case a central role of the sun in Scandinavian mythology as we have it.
    "Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

  8. #8
    Journeyman Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1 year registered1000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    BunnyMaz is on a distinguished road BunnyMaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Online
    17 Dec 2012 @ 12:04 AM
    Country
    UK
    Location
    Kent, UK
    Religion
    A bit of a mismash of a few things
    Posts
    122

    Re: A question about Norse Gods and Goddesses

    Quote Originally Posted by SunflowerP View Post
    This postof mine on the archive board (as well as many other posts in that thread) should give you a better idea what sort of salt.
    Ah. I see. Well, I know nowhere near enough to comment on what is and isn't right WRT Heathenry and Asatru, but yeah.

    I'm not going to comment on the content of another forum publicly.
    Last edited by BunnyMaz; 5 Aug 2011 at 09:09 PM. Reason: reminder to self - grammar=tone on internet

  9. #9
    Senior Master Member Achievements:
    Your first GroupThree Friends5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lokabrenna has a spectacular aura about Lokabrenna has a spectacular aura about Lokabrenna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Online
    29 Jan 2015 @ 12:54 PM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Vanic Pagan
    Pronouns
    she/her/her
    Posts
    829

    Re: A question about Norse Gods and Goddesses

    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyMaz View Post
    Thank you so much! Hmmm... I have heard a little about the controversy surrounding that certain someone. I'm guessing any reading I do of her work will need to be done with a heaping bowl of salt at the ready?
    I would advise that, yes.

    The Ran thing confused me, I must admit. I don't know if perhaps the sources pulled that one out of their rears on the basis of OCEAN=TIDES=MOONLULZ, or something.
    Well, and that begs the question: Why Ran and not Aegir? Oh, wait, it's because she's a goddess, and goddesses are always associated with the moon (except when they aren't).

    In all honestly, I've heard Freyja referred to as an earth, sun, and moon goddess. I can understand the sun and the earth. She is referred to as "bright and shining" and brisingamen means something like "fire jewel" or "flaming, bright necklace". Granted, it's a bit of a stretch to say that fire = sun, but it's not completely out there.

    The big thing that gets me is that, if one takes the stance that Mani and Sunna are not deities, then while we might make a case for Freyr/Freyja as the Sun, there doesn't seem to be anyone else attributable to the moon?
    Not that I know of, perhaps Njord, but that would really be stretching it.

  10. #10
    Grand Master Member Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger First Class10000 Experience Points
    Juni is a splendid one to behold Juni is a splendid one to behold Juni is a splendid one to behold Juni is a splendid one to behold Juni is a splendid one to behold Juni is a splendid one to behold Juni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Online
    28 Apr 2015 @ 04:49 PM
    Country
    USA
    Location
    North Carolina!
    Religion
    Bread and booze and books and bees.
    Pronouns
    she/her
    Posts
    1,683

    Re: A question about Norse Gods and Goddesses

    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyMaz View Post
    I'm not going to comment on the content of another forum publicly.
    Just so you know, that's our old board; we just moved to vBulletin recently.
    Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

    The Little Sea Witch - personal/catch-all blog
    MistSeeking - religious blog

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. A question for those with psychic abilities (Past Life Question)
    By Bliss in forum Miscellaneous Religious Discussions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 31 Jul 2011, 10:12 AM
  2. Gods and Goddesses for Lughnasadh
    By mellowitch in forum Gods, Goddesses, and Mythology
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 28 Jul 2011, 12:17 PM
  3. Norse Religion discussed in BBC website
    By Mark C. in forum Asatru and Heathenry SIG
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11 Jul 2011, 08:24 AM
  4. Two Paths: Norse and Hellenic?
    By Gwiazda in forum Miscellaneous Religious Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 9 Jul 2011, 07:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts