Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Pets: New addition to the family: Moonstone the ferret!  (Read 3749 times)

Wildfire

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
New addition to the family: Moonstone the ferret!
« on: October 08, 2013, 06:12:04 pm »
This seems like a weird topic for my first thread, but I'm just so excited about our new ferret, Moonstone. I thought I would share the news with everyone. :)

I haven't gotten many pictures of her yet, and this is one of the best so far. Thing is, she's been a little depressed since we brought her home, my boyfriend and I. We took her back to the store in case she might be sick but they said she was just feeling lonely and scared. We didn't have the money to get her a companion right away, but hopefully Jorge's refund will come in the mail this week and we can get her a friend.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 10:24:40 am by RandallS »
"If God, then world."
"Wait, then where did God come from?"
"That\'s not really part of the original hypothesis."

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: New addition to the family: Moonstone the ferret!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 06:56:49 pm »
Quote from: Wildfire;124456
We took her back to the store in case she might be sick but they said she was just feeling lonely and scared. We didn't have the money to get her a companion right away, but hopefully Jorge's refund will come in the mail this week and we can get her a friend.

I hope she does well.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Liadine (dragonflyeyes)

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 07:44:09 pm »
I haven't gotten many pictures of her yet, and this is one of the best so far. Thing is, she's been a little depressed since we brought her home, my boyfriend and I. We took her back to the store in case she might be sick but they said she was just feeling lonely and scared. We didn't have the money to get her a companion right away, but hopefully Jorge's refund will come in the mail this week and we can get her a friend.

Aaaaa it's a ferret! I had two of the living kneesocks, from hyper young things to... hyper elderly things, and I know you'll have a blast with Moonstone. Congrats!

A companion will definitely be good, but my little girl Tika lived alone for a few months before we brought home Tasslehoff. I'd take her in to the vet for an introduction/check up if you haven't already (vets who are knowledgeable about ferrets can be hard to find, so it's also a good way of making sure you don't have to scramble if something comes up). Some of them work on credit plans, which might help with the cost. Ferrets can also be picky about what they eat, so if you switched foods from what they were feeding at the pet store then I'd make sure she's eating enough.

Basically, congrats, and hopefully she'll settle in soon :)
We owe it to each other to tell stories [Neil Gaiman]
night's a good herd [my religious tumblr]

Viv

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 08:09:40 pm »
This seems like a weird topic for my first thread, but I'm just so excited about our new ferret, Moonstone. I thought I would share the news with everyone. :)

What a cutie! I'm sure she's just adjusting to her new home. :)
"As every cat lover knows, nobody owns a cat." ~Ellen Perry Berkeley

AKA: windshadow; hesperia

Wildfire

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 09:39:22 pm »
Quote from: Liadine (dragonflyeyes);124474
Aaaaa it's a ferret! I had two of the living kneesocks, from hyper young things to... hyper elderly things, and I know you'll have a blast with Moonstone. Congrats!

A companion will definitely be good, but my little girl Tika lived alone for a few months before we brought home Tasslehoff. I'd take her in to the vet for an introduction/check up if you haven't already (vets who are knowledgeable about ferrets can be hard to find, so it's also a good way of making sure you don't have to scramble if something comes up). Some of them work on credit plans, which might help with the cost. Ferrets can also be picky about what they eat, so if you switched foods from what they were feeding at the pet store then I'd make sure she's eating enough.

Basically, congrats, and hopefully she'll settle in soon :)

Thanks, all!

And thank you for the advice, Liadine. I know going to see a vet specializing in small critters can make a huge difference. I mean, when I took my guinea pig, Blue, to the Petco in-store vet, sure, the price was great, but all they did was tell me to switch from Brand X piggy food with corn meal, beet starch and other fillers to Brand Y piggy food with corn meal, beet starch and other fillers. :confused:

She has a very healthy appetite, but I'm unsure as to whether she's drinking enough. Or is half an inch off the top of a large water bottle a good amount for them? Are they like cats in this area, too, so that they prefer to get they're fluids from their prey?
"If God, then world."

Liadine (dragonflyeyes)

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 07:11:43 am »
Quote from: Wildfire;124484
She has a very healthy appetite, but I'm unsure as to whether she's drinking enough. Or is half an inch off the top of a large water bottle a good amount for them? Are they like cats in this area, too, so that they prefer to get they're fluids from their prey?

As long as they know where to get water - and she does, if she's drinking - then all should be fine. They vary in how much they drink, but that sounds like a reasonable amount given how tiny they are under their fur :) Also, they do sleep for hours and hours and hours, so don't be too alarmed if she's doing a lot of sleeping. As long as she seems healthy otherwise, I'm sure she'll be bouncing around once she realizes that her new home is pretty awesome.

Wildfire

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 06:31:34 pm »
Quote from: Liadine (dragonflyeyes);124502
As long as they know where to get water - and she does, if she's drinking - then all should be fine. They vary in how much they drink, but that sounds like a reasonable amount given how tiny they are under their fur :) Also, they do sleep for hours and hours and hours, so don't be too alarmed if she's doing a lot of sleeping. As long as she seems healthy otherwise, I'm sure she'll be bouncing around once she realizes that her new home is pretty awesome.

Thank you for your help! She seems to be back to her usual, bouncy self now, at least for the time being. She's even starting to learn not to bite us. :D
"If God, then world."

Liadine (dragonflyeyes)

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 05:47:49 pm »
Quote from: Wildfire;124669
Thank you for your help! She seems to be back to her usual, bouncy self now, at least for the time being. She's even starting to learn not to bite us. :D

I'm so glad to hear that :D And yeah, I know all about the early biting. Tika caught on quickly, so hopefully Moonstone will as well.

Glad I could be of some help, and I hope you have a blast with her. They're like bouncing prozac when you're having a bad day. :D

Bear-craft

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 12:53:25 am »
Quote from: Wildfire;124669

She is soooo cute! Congrats on the new addition! And what a perfect name!!

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 05:21:58 am »
Quote from: Liadine (dragonflyeyes);124474
Aaaaa it's a ferret!
A companion will definitely be good, but my little girl Tika lived alone for a few months before we brought home Tasslehoff.

Ahhhhhhh! Nerdgasm over what you called your ferrets!
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Liadine (dragonflyeyes)

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2013, 09:37:59 am »
Quote from: maybeimawitch;129156
Ahhhhhhh! Nerdgasm over what you called your ferrets!

Ha! Yeah, Dragonlance was pretty much my first non-YA fantasy series. My older brother has a cat name Raistlin, and one day I'm determined to have a cat named Kitiara. (Naming pets after fantasy/sci fi characters is kind of a family tradition at this point.)

Tags: