Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: When a Slav is not a Slav or Something Like That  (Read 4437 times)

dionysiandame

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
When a Slav is not a Slav or Something Like That
« on: October 08, 2013, 05:36:57 pm »
During the course my research I'm discovering that Slavs pretty much ended up EVERYWHERE short of Western Europe at some point. So I'm attempting to piece together a kind of "who's who" map so I can delve a bit deeper into various mythologies.

So who can we, in the current day, call Slavs? Romanians? Bulgarians? Russians? Lithuanians? Chechens?

With this kind of information, I'm hoping I can get a taste for how Slavic religion may have differed depending on region and who/what the peoples syncretized with.
Writ, Ritual, and Revelation - Where I wax poetic about nothing at all.
2 Mallards and Thyme- Gastronomy, History, Odds & Ends
Become my latest obsession on Goodreads

He keeps me with all of his other pretty things for I am just another pretty thing in a long list of acquisitions.

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Re: When a Slav is not a Slav or Something Like That
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 07:26:25 am »
Quote from: dionysiandame;124451
During the course my research I'm discovering that Slavs pretty much ended up EVERYWHERE short of Western Europe at some point. So I'm attempting to piece together a kind of "who's who" map so I can delve a bit deeper into various mythologies.

So who can we, in the current day, call Slavs? Romanians? Bulgarians? Russians? Lithuanians? Chechens?

With this kind of information, I'm hoping I can get a taste for how Slavic religion may have differed depending on region and who/what the peoples syncretized with.

The thing to bear in mind is that in order to even start delineating 'families' of Slavs, you have to flip a dozen pages back in your imaginary historical atlas and work with the geo/politi/ethnographic boundaries present during the time periods you're wanting to focus on. Modern national boundaries and identities are pretty much useless in that regard as there are many countries that don't even exist anymore (Moravia and Ruthenia come to mind) that still cast shadows in terms of strong ethnic identities.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 11:24:05 am »

I hope I'm understanding correctly (I'm still waking up, but I'll give it a shot and revisit later when I'm more awake).

There are dozens of perspectives regarding what qualifies an individual as being Slavic (and a few people who are from those specific countries actually consider it insulting to be called a 'Slav,' so bear that in mind). I have seen pages upon pages written on varying perspectives of who qualifies as being Slavic in this era, but the biggest indicators actually are based on culture rather than physical location.

Generally, these are the factors that come up the most: if you live that culture and if you speak the language (Slavic languages have a root language that they've all basically developed and diverted from.

The other two factors that aren't always accepted are blood ancestry and current residency, and those get highly debated because (as you've noticed) there are huge migrations in the  various histories and it wasn't uncommon for different tribes to accept non-Slavic people into their tribe entirely by marriage. The chances of an individual having entirely Slavic-ancestry is pretty minimal (and aside from getting a haplogroup DNA test, pretty darn hard to proof one way or another anyway).

There have been some studies that have gone into trying to determine where the original Indo-European group originated before they started to branch out (some say just north of the Alps, some say in a few regions of Russia, some say nearer the sea). I found the information interesting, but you're going so far back in human history that it's hard to really 'know.'

You might be interested in digging into specific country's/group's histories rather than trying to lump it all together into one group. There's a lot more information regarding Russian, Polish, Czech, Serbian, Slovak, Ukraine, etc... histories rather than the entirety of Slavic history as a whole. I have come across a couple 'Slavic History' books, but I've found more valuable information by getting into the details myself. :)

I hope that made sense, I have a tendency of not being able to focus when I'm tired. :)

the_raven

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 01:20:20 pm »

Romanians are not Slav, we mainly come from Thracians (Dacians) mixed with Romans with mixes of Greek, Slav, Goth, Hungarian, and Turkic peoples over the course of centuries.
Bulgarians also come from Thracians (mainly Odrysians and Moesi) mixed with Greeks and Romans, laterwards with Slavs and Turkic peoples (Bulgars). Now they're generally considered Slav.
Russians are generally considered Slavs, though since Russia is so big, and has so many different peoples (of different ethnic and even racial backgrounds), 'Russian' today is more a political identity than an ethnic one (though ethinic Slav Russians would disagree, considering themselves the only 'true' Russians, everyone else being 'untermensch' (of course, not all of them, but you get the idea)). The Russians from the European part of the country are mostly Slav, though there was some Germanic influence in the 10th century AD (from what I heard).
Lithuanians are not Slavs. From what I read, they came from a mix of original Europeans with Indo-Europeans somewhere in the 3'd millenium BC, with an addition of Slav and Germanic peoples over the course of the centuries.
Chechens are not Slav, they're Nakh, from North Caucasus. That's about all I know about them.

All that without additional mixes of Jews, Gypsies, and many other neighbor peoples.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 01:28:34 pm by the_raven »

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 02:39:47 pm »
Quote from: the_raven;191276

A Reminder:
Our rules  generally prohibit editing after more than 2-3 minutes.  (Correcting  typos or minor mistakes is OK, but don't forget to fill in the "Reason  for Editing" box so that we know what's going on.)  This is because  after that long, several people have already read what you've written,  and they won't see the changes you make.  Because of that, they will  have difficulty following the conversation when someone replies to your  new, updated post.

We also do need a reason for your edit; a "-" does not work in the edit box, as has been explained by Jenett in this thread.

If you need to correct or add anything significant after those 2-3 minutes, you should just reply to yourself  and give the correction or additional information in the new post.   Double-posting is not considered bad behaviour here, and this will help  keep everyone on the same page, so to speak.

This isn't a formal  warning, just a reminder.  No reply is necessary, but if you have  questions or need clarification, please feel free to contact a member of  staff privately.

Thanks!

HarpingHawke, TC Staff
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 02:40:50 pm by HarpingHawke »
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

savveir

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 08:39:14 pm »

It's kinda messy, with migration, displacement and such, things get a bit blurred. The Early Slavs might help a bit history wise, to get a feel for different areas.
As far as differing in religious practices and syncretism, I don't really have much solid advice here. I kinda do my own thing and it works for me. I find it handy to keep geography in mind when researching, I figure that areas that share borders are likely to have a bit more in common than those that don't. That said, migration has an influence and so do trade routes, which comes up in  The Bathhouse at midnight along with discussing other influences in magic and religious practises from various places which is pretty interesting. Perhaps looking at current festivals in different countries and their similarities/differences will also help.

So in short, it's messy :P
"I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it."
-Lewis Carroll

savveir

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 01:03:51 am »
Quote from: savvy;191701
snip

I may not have noticed how long ago OP posted
"I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it."
-Lewis Carroll

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 01:41:18 am »
Quote from: savvy;191713
I may not have noticed how long ago OP posted

Eh, I think it's a useful conversation to have regardless.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Tags: