Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Who are you and what do you do?  (Read 9061 times)

Karhunvatukka

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Who are you and what do you do?
« on: August 04, 2011, 11:51:32 pm »
[Stands on the doorstep, looks around]

Hello, I'm new here.  How about we all here at this SIG introduce ourselves?  I'll start.

I'm married, 50-something, with two teenage kids, and I live in Iowa.  My interests include gardening, folk music and dance, languages, and reading.  Lots of reading.

As to why I'm here: I was raised in a non-religious household.  I was always interested in mythology and have had a vague interest in paganism for a long time.  Most of what I encountered until fairly recently was Wiccan or Wiccish.

My grandparents on both sides come from Finland, and I was raised hearing Finnish spoken (though I don't speak it fluently myself) and absorbing a lot of Finnish culture.  I've been to Finland once, about 25 years ago.  I was surprised by the physical sensation I had of being at home, being where I was supposed to be, when I was there.  (I haven't pursued going back there since then, though - life, earning a living, raising a family got in the way.)

Recently I've been finding stuff on the internet about Finnish paganism (suomenusko = Finnish belief), and I feel like, oh, this is what I've been looking for!  When I get more time I'll start a thread with some links and stuff.  I've just begun to scratch the surface, and it's hard because there isn't much information in English, and my Finnish is nowhere near up to snuff for reading scholarly stuff.

I'd also be interested in learning about various kinds of Slavic and Baltic paganism/heathenry.  I understand that the Latvians and Lithuanians have strong pagan traditions.  Is anyone here into that?

My name means "blackberry" in Finnish.  When I was trying to think of a pseudonym to use, berries kept coming into my mind.  The only one I knew the Finnish word for was strawberry, but that wasn't right; so I looked up raspberry, and that wasn't it either.  Then I looked up blackberry, and discovered that its name literally means "bear's berry", which I thought was cool, since the Bear is big in Finnish paganism.  I also thought it was cool that it was the third berry I tried.  I've always liked the number three and multiples of three, and apparently, that's a suomenuskoinen thing too.

Hyacinth Belle

• View Profile
Re: Who are you and what do you do?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 09:39:54 pm »
Quote from: Karhunvatukka;10726

Hello, I'm new here.  How about we all here at this SIG introduce ourselves?  I'll start.

I'm married, 50-something, with two teenage kids, and I live in Iowa.  My interests include gardening, folk music and dance, languages, and reading.  Lots of reading.

Hey there again!

I'm 20-something, and about to graduate college in December. I can't wait... I feel about as ready as possible to start this new phase of life. :)

I too love reading... over the summers I try to read 300 pages per week. I always complain I have too many books I haven't read, so I try to knock some out when school isn't in session.

I've always wanted to go to Finland. And I think we've had some threads on it before, either here or on the old board, so you might check those out.
"Silent and thoughtful a prince\'s son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

Lokison

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 03:07:48 pm »
Who are you?

Lokison, aka Lokke, aka Wyatt (IRL)

Old friend/associate of some of the people here, just coming back around.

What do you do?

Outside sales and thus live a very chaotic life.  I travel to different parts of the country, sometimes 3 weeks at a time and dont know where I will be the next week until 2-3 days before.

Chaos magic is something I practice, along with my devotion to my Father/Patron.  "Eye of the storm" has been a description of me from a few friends.

I read, play video games and live life as it comes at me.

Looking forward to getting back into the Cauldron community, as I was there during the old Delphi forum days.
My beliefs are my own.  I do not speak for anyone else.  It is my personal perspective.  
I am not the Way or the Truth.  No Man or Woman can reach their God/dess through me.

When people ask me, "What give you the right to suggest standards for others?",
my answer is, "If I don\'t, someone else, perhaps less qualified, will."
History has proven that qualification is based on acceptance. The end justifies the means. - LaVey

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 06:56:43 pm »

I'll mostly lurk here. Due to the recent thread about what is and isn't considered Heathenry, I'm not sure if I still fit.  Although my practice is informed and derived from scholastic material, I adapt it in such a way that other Heathens may or may not consider me Heathen in the broadest sense of the word.  

That being said, I do honor Heathen gods, especially Frigga as the goddess of hearth and home.  I light candles for Her to represent the hearth-fire and I toast (blot) to Her with mead or milk.  I also clean my home for Frigga.  I use academic sources and Spindle Hearth by d. Kate Dooley to inform my practice.  

I'm primarily Kemetic Orthodox and I also honor the Orisa Oya, Elegba and Yemoja.
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

Hyacinth Belle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 09:26:31 pm »
Quote from: SatAset;11291
I'll mostly lurk here. Due to the recent thread about what is and isn't considered Heathenry, I'm not sure if I still fit.  Although my practice is informed and derived from scholastic material, I adapt it in such a way that other Heathens may or may not consider me Heathen in the broadest sense of the word.

Interesting. You can label yourself how you want, but even if you don't feel 100% Heathen, you're still welcome here if the conversation pertains to Heathen topics and is somewhat scholastic in nature or mindset.

The SIG needs more posters, not less. :)
"Silent and thoughtful a prince\'s son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 10:31:55 pm »
Quote from: Hyacinth Belle;11860
Interesting. You can label yourself how you want, but even if you don't feel 100% Heathen, you're still welcome here if the conversation pertains to Heathen topics and is somewhat scholastic in nature or mindset.

The SIG needs more posters, not less. :)

Thank you.
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

Razoth

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 09:49:53 am »

I'm 26, a native of Minnesota, and have been a heathen for... jeez, going on 9 years now.

I cannot be considered "hardcore recon" - I read a lot of academic texts and articles, but I do balance my practice with UPG. I'm also Lokean, which rubs a lot of people the wrong way.

If you were to see me, you wouldn't immediately think "Lokean". I'm a working professional in merchandising and product design at a very large corporation that people in the US are very familiar with.

Hyacinth Belle

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 10:06:19 am »
Quote from: Razoth;15488
I'm 26, a native of Minnesota, and have been a heathen for... jeez, going on 9 years now.

I cannot be considered "hardcore recon" - I read a lot of academic texts and articles, but I do balance my practice with UPG. I'm also Lokean, which rubs a lot of people the wrong way.

If you were to see me, you wouldn't immediately think "Lokean". I'm a working professional in merchandising and product design at a very large corporation that people in the US are very familiar with.

Thanks for sharing. Welcome to TC and to the SIG! :D

Talvikki Wyntersong

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 10:14:12 pm »

Hello, I'm new here.  How about we all here at this SIG introduce ourselves?  

How lovely to meet another that's interested in Suomenusko! :)
My real name is Luna but I go by either "Winter" or "Talvi" (Talvi meaning winter in Finnish!).  I am half Finnish...my mother being Finnish and I grew up with a lot of Finnish-Americans so I'm trying to grasp the language as well.  Oh, I'm also 18 if anyone was curious... (yes, I know I'm still young and figuring things out. haha)

What a very lovely name you chose. :)  Also, feel free to message me if you want to chat about Suomenusko or anything at all.  I havn't been on this path for a long time, either, so I guess we're both figuring things out.  Well, to wrap things up, I'm a devout follower of Tapio and Mielikki (I'm sure you have heard of them).  And I wear an Ukko's hammer everyday.  I'm trying to connect with the rest of the Finnish pantheon and I am now working on Ahti and Vellamo.

(also, if you browse the old forum I made some posts on the Finnish religion under the username Winter Lavender. This is my new account!)

Nice meetings to all of you!
-Talvi
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 10:14:59 pm by Talvikki Wyntersong »

"Ei kukaan ole seppä syntyessään."
(Also known as Winter Lavender from the old forum)

Daylight

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 12:05:23 pm »

Hello!
I'm Garrett I'm 17  (I know I'm young, thats why I dont like telling my age.) I follow an Anglo-Saxon Heathen path but I dont consider myself a Heathen. I have been interested in paganism since the middle of last year and have been excited to learn ever since. I was always interested in vikings etc when I was younger I'd spend all my time reading about them and trying to learn as much as possible. I have always been interested in germanic culture one way or another! :p Other than that theres not much to tell. :o
"Each of us must come to the end of his life: let him who may win fame before death. That is the best memorial for a man after he is gone"- Beowulf

Son of the Norse

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 10:05:25 pm »

Time to revive this thread (I have been reading all the threads since the start of this SIG).  I enjoyed reading about everyone so far and would love to learn more about some of the newer posters that never posted on this particular thread.  

I will begin.  I am now 51 years old (in my mind though I still feel 19) LOL

I only went as far as the 8th grade and never stepped foot in a High School; I did this to support my mother who could not work and my father had went out to "go viking" lol (I later went on to get my degree in the 80's).

I worked as a caddie on a golf course from 12-17 and gave what money I could to my mother.  I joined the US Army at 17 and within months I was in my first battle; Operation Urgent Fury (the war in Grenada). Got married at 18 to an "older woman" and regretted it the day after our wedding LOL.  I stuck it out though and had two great sons in 1985 and 1986.  I also started collecting comic books in the early 70's and have never stopped (about 300K books at this point in my life).

In the 90's I was sent to combat again (Operation Desert Storm) and served over there for almost 1 year.

In 1993 I got out of the service and decided to live in Hawaii full time (I was divorced by then).  I worked in a prison as a Nurse for 2 years, and surfed semi pro when ever I could.

I got remarried in 93 as well and have been with my awesome wife for 23 years now (she is Polynesian).  We moved to Washington State in 94 and had our first Child (who is now in college at WSU).  I worked as a Nurse for 1 year and then my soul cried out for change and I became a professional Motorcycle racer for 2 1/2 years.  A near death crash on the race course caused me to re-think my profession and I went into a different field of Managing Health care facilities (from Nursing homes, to assisted living, to small hospitals).

I made good money, but I was not happy professionally.  After 9-11 I decided to rejoin the military after an 8 year break.  I was immediately sent to Afghanistan and Iraq (my 3rd deployment spread out over 3 decades).  After injuries suffered on three different occasions I was finally assigned to a desk job.  I stayed there until I retired in 2011.

After retirement I wanted to go a different direction and obtained my series 7 and other licenses to become a stock broker.  By this time I had 2 more daughters (in 2007 and 2010).  I made a "crap load" of money but I was not happy and the job had me busy 7 days a week.  I decided to make a change and now I work for a state agency and have never been happier.  I work a very good schedule and get to spend time with my family.

I could die tomorrow and die happy (of course I would miss my family).

I feel I have been a heathen for as long as I can remember.  I have traveled the globe all my life and have studied the organized "big" religions most of my life.  Most of them are just bologna in my opinion (sorry if I offend anyone).  I realize that my ancestors have been calling to me my whole life and I am content that I have found where I feel I belong....

Well that is enough about this guy; lets hear more about all of you! :)
~Son of the Norse

Hyacinth Belle

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 10:43:48 pm »
Quote from: Son of the Norse;199317
Time to revive this thread (I have been reading all the threads since the start of this SIG).  I enjoyed reading about everyone so far and would love to learn more about some of the newer posters that never posted on this particular thread.  

I think this is actually a great idea to revive! And thanks for sharing!

And definitely a LOT has changed for me in the five years since I last posted on it (holy crap, what?!).

I'm nearing 30 and live just outside of Philadelphia. I teach high school English at a cyber school and will finish my MA in English summer 2017.

I've been some variant of heathen-ish for a long time, but have more recently been embracing different aspects of what you might call an alternative lifestyle. For example, exploring various ideas from minimalism. Also just "came out" as pescatarian. Have been slowly eating less and less meat for probably close to six months now, and I feel great, so I figured it was time to make an official commitment to it.

Son of the Norse

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2016, 10:56:05 pm »
Quote from: Hyacinth Belle;199318
I think this is actually a great idea to revive! And thanks for sharing!

Thanks for giving us an update on your life.  5 years sure flies by don't it? :)  I applaud you for your pescatarian journey.  It is much healthier to follow this path than 100% going without the protein that is found in the foul and seas of the earth.  Our health is so important that many disregard it to give into the dripping grease and advertisements from our local fast food gods.

Hopefully we can keep this thread active; it is great reading and fun to get to "know" one another.
~Son of the Norse

Hyacinth Belle

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2016, 06:48:47 pm »
Quote from: Son of the Norse;199320
I applaud you for your pescatarian journey.  It is much healthier to follow this path than 100% going without the protein that is found in the foul and seas of the earth.
Meh, I'm not doing it for the protein. I'm mostly keeping seafood/marine life in my diet because I like it, it's healthy, and it does not have the pollution impact of land proteins, especially cattle. And even then I probably eat it only twice a month.

EDIT: Also because it makes eating out much simpler. Even if a place doesn't have vegetarian options, they usually will have something with fish.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 06:49:41 pm by Hyacinth Belle »

Son of the Norse

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2016, 10:53:32 pm »
Quote from: Hyacinth Belle;199349

EDIT: Also because it makes eating out much simpler. Even if a place doesn't have vegetarian options, they usually will have something with fish.

I just wish more posters were encouraged to post on this thread! :)
~Son of the Norse

Tags: