Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Who are you and what do you do?  (Read 9057 times)

Dam

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Who are you and what do you do?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2016, 07:31:20 am »
Quote from: Son of the Norse;199415
I just wish more posters were encouraged to post on this thread! :)

I am in my early 20's. I attended university but did not complete my time there. I found it too structured and did not get along with any of the students on my course. I continued educating myself away from university which has made me much happier.

Ironicslly i left the structure of university to take up the structure of the Royal Navy. I much prefer it, however. I dont remember a time period when I was properly happy. I have an issue with overthinking everything.

I have lots of life left to do lots of stuff in. I am fairly young so I am hoping I can cram enough events in to get myself a neo-saga :p

Son of the Norse

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2016, 06:13:26 pm »
Quote from: Dam;199422
I am in my early 20's. I attended university but did not complete my time there. I found it too structured and did not get along with any of the students on my course. I continued educating myself away from university which has made me much happier.

Ironicslly i left the structure of university to take up the structure of the Royal Navy. I much prefer it, however. I dont remember a time period when I was properly happy. I have an issue with overthinking everything.

I have lots of life left to do lots of stuff in. I am fairly young so I am hoping I can cram enough events in to get myself a neo-saga :p

Thank you for your service, and thank you for sharing.  I hope you get to travel to many lands as apart of the Royal Navy! :)
~Son of the Norse

Vixen

• Journeyman
  • We're all mad here
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2016, 04:54:28 am »

Well let me jump in both feet then.
I'm 32, recently divorced and living in an old farmhouse with my three dogs, 15 sheep, a cat and a horse. In daily life I am a manager at our city archives. I have a small team of four working with me so we share responsibilities as much as we can. On a day to day business I help people do research varying from ancestral heritage to witch-hunting and just about anything in between. I write articles on topics that are of interest to me and I advice city hall whenever they need new street names which have a historic connotation.

I came to this job in a rather roundabout way. I started in construction as an engineer. I had an interest in history and old buildings (thank you TimeTeam!) and educated myself by doing courses on Fridays and in the evenings. I went on working as a building historian, which is more or less an archaeologist of buildings. When the global crisis hit I was fired and wasn't able to find a job for a couple of months. I took a job at the building regulations office and I worked there for 5 years till this position became available.

I still study on the side. Right now I'm doing a 4 year course in archivistics which is combined with media and communication.

Yeah, I keep busy. :whis:
You're only given a little spark of madness, you mustn't lose it.

Froði Ingsson

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • SOHM Publishing
  • Religion: Heathen
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2016, 10:09:20 am »
Quote from: Karhunvatukka;10726
Who are you and what do you do?

I've had a long and colorful life. Currently I'm 41 years old working in the Mental Health field and writing. I've been married for almost eleven years with four beautiful children, two of which are going to Everygreen College (wife had two older kids).

Stepping back in time I was born in Germany to a military father and German mother. I came to America at one and was given up to the government by two. Lived in foster homes until I was adopted at 5 ½ to a family that just lost a son. My foster parents divorced a year later and I started drinking and smoking at seven with an older sister's encouragement.

Was sent to three different rehabs by ten and sent away for nine months to a boys camp at eleven. Got into a little trouble between the ages of twelve and thirteen before getting arrested for stealing from people's houses. At thirteen and a half my adopted parents came to a counseling session to tell me they no longer wanted anything to do with me.

After that I spent time between juvenile halls, group homes, youth prisons, and the streets until 19 when I officially went AWOL and traveled the country. You can read about those adventures in my book, A Different Road: From Bum to Mystic.

During my travels I lived with a Lakota Elder for a few months, had a deep connection with a Druidess, studied under a Tantric Master, lived with an intense Goetic Magician for over a year, was initiated into Kundalini Yoga in county jail, and much more.

At twenty-eight I had a horrible breakup that disconnected me from a child but also led me to my love and partner. After the breakup I lived on a farm where my job was taking care of the chickens. We lived there for eight years before moving to Virginia to help my father-in-law sell his vending business.

After selling the business we were ready to move to the West Coast: I'm a California kid. Only, I did not want to move back to California. So, with no specific designation in mind my wife and I decided that whoever won the 2014 Superbowl, that's where we were moving. Seahawks won so we moved to Washington.

Our move was horrendous. Not only did we lose all our savings, but both my girls nearly died from sickness and I myself fell from a great height that landed me in the Intensive Care Unit in a three day coma and a bunch of other lovely issues. That was November, 2014.

After a yearlong recovery I got a good job and things have continued to get better and better ever since. In January 2016 I started studying the Runes which has changed my life in more ways than I can count.

That's my history in a nutshell.

Megatherium

• View Profile
  • Religion: Heathen(ish)
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2016, 11:31:32 am »
Quote from: Son of the Norse;199317
Time to revive this thread (I have been reading all the threads since the start of this SIG).  I enjoyed reading about everyone so far and would love to learn more about some of the newer posters that never posted on this particular thread....

Alright, I'll hop in here as well. I'm 37 years old, married with 3 children, and I live in Alberta, Canada close to the Rocky Mountains. I'm an adult ESL teacher, and I fucking love Dinosaurs.

I've been Heathen(ish) for about five years now. I developed an interest in religion from an early age, although my family was non-religious. My hometown has large minorities of people who practice East or South Asian religions, and that helped to develop my interest in non-Abrahmic religious traditions. In my twenties, I spent some time in India and Taiwan which reconfirmed my suspicion that there were a large number of sophisticated and legitimate avenues of religious expression outside of the Western Monotheist tradition. In my late twenties I became more interested in "pagan" European religions, and I guess I could say I began to really identify and practice as a Heathen when I discovered that there was in fact an organized community of Heathens in my hometown.
My views are one that speaks to freedom.
-George W. Bush

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2016, 04:34:35 pm »

Just on a staff note, given that this thread is in a special-interest portion of the board, many posters are unlikely to read it.  If you're interested in a larger number of people responding, you may wish to start a thread in the general interest areas, perhaps Cauldron Community.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Son of the Norse

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2016, 07:24:06 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;199486
Just on a staff note, given that this thread is in a special-interest portion of the board, many posters are unlikely to read it.  If you're interested in a larger number of people responding, you may wish to start a thread in the general interest areas, perhaps Cauldron Community.

Thank you!  I kind of like learning about the small community for now. :)

For the rest of you that replied; thank you so much! It is so much fun learning about the diversity in all of us...You each are special and amazing in your own way (or you wouldn't be posting here);)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 07:25:06 pm by Son of the Norse »
~Son of the Norse

hraefngar

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: eclectic pagan
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2017, 09:34:01 pm »
Quote from: Karhunvatukka;10726
[Stands on the doorstep, looks around]
Hello, I'm new here.  How about we all here at this SIG introduce ourselves?  I'll start.

My handle is my best attempt at saying "raven spear" in Old English.

I am 39. I am a member of The Troth (the non-racist Heathen organization in the US) as well as the Rune Gild (an esoteric organization that drives more mainstream Heathens bonkers).  

I am sworn to Odin but honor the other major deities, as well as ancestors and local wights.

I have been Wiccan, Satanist, Greco-Roman pagan, and Druid before coming home to Heathenry.  

I work in sales/customer service.  I lift weights. I drink lots of beer, and read lots of books.

Son of the Norse

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2017, 10:52:27 pm »
Quote from: hraefngar;200980
My handle is my best attempt at saying "raven spear" in Old English.

I am 39. I am a member of The Troth (the non-racist Heathen organization in the US) as well as the Rune Gild (an esoteric organization that drives more mainstream Heathens bonkers).  

I am sworn to Odin but honor the other major deities, as well as ancestors and local wights.

I have been Wiccan, Satanist, Greco-Roman pagan, and Druid before coming home to Heathenry.  

I work in sales/customer service.  I lift weights. I drink lots of beer, and read lots of books.

We have a lot in common!  I used to be in sales after my military life, and am now in law enforcement, I read lots of books (just finished the latest Ann Rice book), I lift weights (12 oz. at a time), and also used to read up greatly on the COS. :)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 10:54:52 pm by Son of the Norse »
~Son of the Norse

Obsidia

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2017, 03:29:25 pm »
Quote from: Son of the Norse;200984
We have a lot in common!  I used to be in sales after my military life, and am now in law enforcement, I read lots of books (just finished the latest Ann Rice book), I lift weights (12 oz. at a time), and also used to read up greatly on the COS. :)

Hi,

I'm 42 and a mother of a 9 year old and 13 year old girls. Been Heathen for many years. I grew up in a protestant family and as a kid, noticed that I was able to see spirits. I've grown up with pet dogs, some cats, I have a strong affinity with animals. I discovered artistic talent as a kid, and also love video games.
At school I was the only kid who was interested in the paranormal.
Age 11 I read a book on Greek mythology and was fascinated by the goddesses. I researched mythology of Greece and Rome, then all others too. But during a dark time being sick, I felt comforted with heathenism. It helped me recover.

Tags: