Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Wrestling with Sloth  (Read 4648 times)

anonymus

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Wrestling with Sloth
« on: October 02, 2013, 10:06:49 pm »
Over the past couple of years I've been struggling with feeling apathy, a sort of emotional flatness, deadness, where it is hard to feel strong emotion. Similar to depression but not quite depression along with this nebulous feeling of anxiety over being continuously judged. I'm wondering are there entities[gods,spirits,angels,etc.] out there that are particular associated withe mental health issues that I could pray to for help on this? I'm looking more at conventional therapy[once I can afford it] but I'm willing to try less conventional means including spells/rituals if it'll help me shake this. As far as I'm concerned all options are on the table.

Jora

• View Profile
Re: Wrestling with Sloth
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 11:20:45 pm »
Quote from: anonymus;123978
Over the past couple of years I've been struggling with feeling apathy, a sort of emotional flatness, deadness, where it is hard to feel strong emotion. Similar to depression but not quite depression along with this nebulous feeling of anxiety over being continuously judged. I'm wondering are there entities[gods,spirits,angels,etc.] out there that are particular associated withe mental health issues that I could pray to for help on this? I'm looking more at conventional therapy[once I can afford it] but I'm willing to try less conventional means including spells/rituals if it'll help me shake this. As far as I'm concerned all options are on the table.

I have suffered from depression, but it was awhile ago, and it was a bit different from what yours sounds like.  You could try meditation, visualization, and reading myths and stories until something grabs your interest, and slowly work your way out of it.  The gods, goddesses and stories will gradually work at and loosen the core problem and heal it with you.  Follow your instincts and trust yourself.

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
Wrestling with Sloth
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 11:53:40 pm »

Quote from: Jora;123994
You could try meditation, visualization, and reading myths and stories until something grabs your interest, and slowly work your way out of it.  The gods, goddesses and stories will gradually work at and loosen the core problem and heal it with you.  Follow your instincts and trust yourself.

I've been dealing with depression, anxiety and bipolar disorder for about 6 years now. I'm quite heavily medicated, and it helps.

Conventional medicine aside, read up on Quan Yin, Goddess of Compassion. She is my personal patron Goddess, and She understands that I don't always have time to dedicate to just Her due to being a full time college student. She's helped me a lot over the past few years.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 04:22:10 am »
Over the past couple of years I've been struggling with feeling apathy, a sort of emotional flatness, deadness, where it is hard to feel strong emotion. Similar to depression but not quite depression along with this nebulous feeling of anxiety over being continuously judged. I'm wondering are there entities[gods,spirits,angels,etc.] out there that are particular associated withe mental health issues that I could pray to for help on this?

Medieval Christian demonology says that there's a demon called Acedia or Accidie, that sounds a lot like what you're describing. Perhaps dissociate, and exorcise?

I wish you wellness! :)
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Ravyn

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 11:08:12 am »

i don't have much advice, just wanted to wish you well and maybe suggest this is a time to to take care of yourself - not like big deal take a vacation you can't afford, but good food, cut back on outside commitments and refocus on center and self.  ritual and meditation can be part of that.  i find i get apathetic general stress when i have let my own cup run dry while trying to keep others' cups filled, so to speak.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Wrestling with Sloth
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 01:16:50 pm »
I'm wondering are there entities[gods,spirits,angels,etc.] out there that are particular associated withe mental health issues that I could pray to for help on this? I'm looking more at conventional therapy[once I can afford it] but I'm willing to try less conventional means including spells/rituals if it'll help me shake this. As far as I'm concerned all options are on the table.

There are many deities associated with healing (which includes mental health). Brighid and Apollo are two particularly popular examples, but many -- if not most -- cultures have healing gods.  It shouldn't be hard for you to figure out who that is in whatever pantheon interests you.

That said, have you looked into low cost mental health options in your area?  That might be a more productive place to start.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

dionysiandame

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 02:02:24 pm »

Everyone already gave you some good advice so I'll just chime in with this little tidbit; are you able to exercise? I spent the past summer in a ridiculous low and I realized that, even with my medication, I don't fully feel "normal" unless I'm getting in at least 4-5 days of exercise per week. It's like my body needs the outlet.  

Within 2 weeks of getting back into my regular fitness routine, I was feeling a lot better and it also encouraged me to do other things that helped me feel good, like drinking more herbal teas, eating fresher foods, and taking a multi-vitamin. As my health has gotten back to where it needs to be; my mood swings haven't been nearly as detrimental to my productivity as they can be.
Writ, Ritual, and Revelation - Where I wax poetic about nothing at all.
2 Mallards and Thyme- Gastronomy, History, Odds & Ends
Become my latest obsession on Goodreads

He keeps me with all of his other pretty things for I am just another pretty thing in a long list of acquisitions.

Enid

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 08:20:21 pm »

I am going to go mundane here, but it sounds like you have dysthymia also known as Persistent Depressive Disorder. It's a mild, but longer lasting type of depression, usually characterized by lack of interest, depressed mood and to quote my old doctor "not really being able to give a damn." I would speak to your doctor. It also could be low Vitamin D. This can cause many of the issues you are describing.
Crazy, Skeptic Pagan - Just a skeptical druid blogging about religion, mental illness, and whatever else triggers my fancy

The Little Rock Pagan Meetup - Come Meet Some Awesome Pagans!

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 06:06:49 pm »
Quote from: Enid;124963
I am going to go mundane here, but it sounds like you have dysthymia also known as Persistent Depressive Disorder. It's a mild, but longer lasting type of depression, usually characterized by lack of interest, depressed mood and to quote my old doctor "not really being able to give a damn." I would speak to your doctor. It also could be low Vitamin D. This can cause many of the issues you are describing.

That was pretty much what I was going to say. Been there, done that, diagnosed over a decade ago.  Buuuuuut, there are also some other issues that can add to the heap like persistently wonky blood sugar levels (caused by many things) or a thyroid gland that cranks out the wrong mix of hormones (this was something I had and took forever to diagnose).

There does seem to be some interplay between Vitamin D and both blood sugar and thyroid issues. Extra sun exposure can't hurt. Just don't let yourself burn!
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 12:17:29 pm »

The basics seem to have already been pretty well covered already: check with a doctor, self care, exercise, try to identify aspects of your life that may be taking more than giving, etc...

I just wanted to add something. Depression manifests differently with different people, nobody is identical to anyone else and apathy can be the result of numerous things ranging from trauma to life situations to a medical condition. It might be worth sitting down and trying to identify and assess all the areas of your life to evaluate where you're at now and if you can think of minor changes you can make to make life more of what you want it to be.

Personally, when I get apathetic it's because of burnout (giving more than I'm getting and being unable to keep things together on my own end). But definitely talk to your doctor and see what they have to say. :)

anonymus

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 10:29:25 pm »

It's been a while since I have been on this site actively and I have been rereading some of my old posts and just wanted to update this one. I feeling some what better now, I still have issues that flair up every now and then, but not as bad. I wanted to thank everyone that has posted here. I'm definitely looking at this from more of family history/personality type angle now. Also now that I've got somewhat better insurance I'm also thinking about somewhat more regular counseling. I've also found that listening to music helps when I'm feeling down, it doesn't make the negative emotions go away but it does make it easier to feel them. Like when I'm listening I can actually let go and cry. I don't if that last part makes any sense or not; feel free to ask and I'll try clarify.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 10:30:24 pm by anonymus »

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 11:07:15 pm »
Quote from: anonymus;175395
It's been a while since I have been on this site actively and I have been rereading some of my old posts and just wanted to update this one. I feeling some what better now, I still have issues that flair up every now and then, but not as bad. I wanted to thank everyone that has posted here. I'm definitely looking at this from more of family history/personality type angle now. Also now that I've got somewhat better insurance I'm also thinking about somewhat more regular counseling. I've also found that listening to music helps when I'm feeling down, it doesn't make the negative emotions go away but it does make it easier to feel them. Like when I'm listening I can actually let go and cry. I don't if that last part makes any sense or not; feel free to ask and I'll try clarify.

I'm glad to see you've made some progress with this, and that you're looking at the option of regular counseling.

Being able to let go and "feel" your emotions is really important, and whatever helps you to do that is something to follow up on (though if it's stemming from something traumatic, sometimes we need a safe space and a professional to help us through it).

anonymus

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2016, 01:58:38 pm »
Quote from: anonymus;175395

Just felt like updating this after another long interval, to let everyone know that after years of dealing with these issues and a few "patch job" therapy sessions, I'm going in next Monday for what should hopefully be the first session in a more long term program to address whatever the hell my un-diagnosed mental health issues are. I think I've been able to ignore this for so long because I've been able to keep a lid on it and function fairly well. This semester though combined a particularly hard course load with a resurgence in my psych problems. The result to be blunt was me having a small meltdown and almost completely stop going to classes. After that I realized that this is something that needs to be seriously dealt with. So I'm planning to medically withdraw from this semester and use November/December to focus on getting myself back together.

Tags:

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 205
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Allaya, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Ashmire, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

'Up All Night' Coordinator:
Altair

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Chatelaine, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal