Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Insult to Pagan parents on cinemablend.com  (Read 3914 times)

Pako

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Insult to Pagan parents on cinemablend.com
« on: October 02, 2013, 07:12:21 am »
Just thought I would let a few people in on an argument I seen going on on cinemablend.com

The author of an article wrote:

In fact, it was the aforementioned interactivity that led New Zealand writer Murray Williams from iol, to flee from the game store with his young son when they found out that GTA V had anal sex, oral sex and interactive torture. It was like a Puritan parent's nightmare game come true or a Pagan parent's dream game come true.

A reader has taken issue with this wording saying, among other things:

The implication of the sentence was that while uptight Christian parents are appalled at the very notion of the game Pagan parents just can't wait to let their kids revel in depictions of anal sex and violence.

The writer has basically said that in his mind Paganism is no different from hedonism. He has also blown off the argument that it is offensive by claiming it as comedy, saying that not everyone gets offended by the same thing and claiming it was done because it sounded better than other words. The commenter claims it is religious defamation and that just because not everyone finds it offensive doesn't mean that it is okay.

So, yeah. I just thought I'd let some people know in case anyone wanted to add their two cents to the argument. You'll find it in the comments of the URL below if you're interested.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/GTA-5-Too-Graphic-Violent-59526.html

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Insult to Pagan parents on cinemablend.com
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 04:08:58 pm »
Quote from: Pako;123882
The writer has basically said that in his mind Paganism is no different from hedonism. He has also blown off the argument that it is offensive by claiming it as comedy, saying that not everyone gets offended by the same thing and claiming it was done because it sounded better than other words. The commenter claims it is religious defamation and that just because not everyone finds it offensive doesn't mean that it is okay.

Not exactly.  He obviously doesn't realize that "pagan" is the self-identification of a number of loosely-connected religious groups.  And yeah, he further damns himself by trying to back up his ignorance with more ignorance.  It's a common tactic among the ignorant.

Suggestion:  coming at him guns-a-blazin' is probably not the best means of communication.  It's just making him defensive, which is unproductive when education is the goal.

Also...who the hell is William Usher, anyway?

Brina

Carla

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Insult to Pagan parents on cinemablend.com
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 12:08:23 pm »
Quote from: Pako;123882
Just thought I would let a few people in on an argument I seen going on on cinemablend.com

The author of an article wrote:

In fact, it was the aforementioned interactivity that led New Zealand writer Murray Williams from iol, to flee from the game store with his young son when they found out that GTA V had anal sex, oral sex and interactive torture. It was like a Puritan parent's nightmare game come true or a Pagan parent's dream game come true.

A reader has taken issue with this wording saying, among other things:

The implication of the sentence was that while uptight Christian parents are appalled at the very notion of the game Pagan parents just can't wait to let their kids revel in depictions of anal sex and violence.

So, yeah. I just thought I'd let some people know in case anyone wanted to add their two cents to the argument. You'll find it in the comments of the URL below if you're interested.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/GTA-5-Too-Graphic-Violent-59526.html

He clearly has no idea what he's saying. Substituting "heathen parents" is no better than saying "pagan parents," but this just shows he is not aware at all that these are actual religions with followers who *gasp* have a sense of moral decency. I really don't see where his statement about puritan vs. pagan needed to come in at all. Why not just review the video game? Besides, the game was NOT made for kids; it was made for adults and the packaging clearly indicates this.

Tags: