Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Altars in the Slavic Tradition  (Read 4116 times)

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
Altars in the Slavic Tradition
« on: September 25, 2013, 04:47:46 pm »
Just thought I'll pull this out from the group since it's a good topic.

Quote from: Laveth
So in the multitudes of research I’ve done and my own practices, I am inclined to believe that traditional Slavic practitioners did not actually use altars. Hearth, yes, absolutely. Fully decorated, dedicated, fancy pants altars… possibly not. Generally from what I’ve gathered, the natural landscape is the general setting for many rites.

I for one rarely use my altar for any kind of energy work, but I do have one to use as a platform for my divination. I tend to pull a series of cards/runes, and leave them out to look at until their meaning comes clear to me. Plus before I had the altar, I had to use the bed (because I refused to use the floor) and no medium seems to want to sit still on that kind of a surface.

So, thoughts? Anything to add? Personal interpretations/practices on the matter?

Quote from: Savvy
My current set up is a Ancestor shrine which I’ve found useful with Slavic based ancestor veneration. I also have a small(read tiny) shrine to the house spirit in the kitchen. Other than that I have an altar, though it’s really more of a working space for me. I make charms on it, do readings on it, and sometimes I do rituals at it. Part of my altar use is due to working within an ADF framework currently, they like to have their symbols around.

Recently I’ve taken to doing the majority of my rituals outside. In my reading I came across the use of tree circles for rituals, I’m lucky enough that in my yard there’s an open space edged by many large trees so I’ve been using that.

I do have an altar for Mara, mostly because she likes to have a place where I keep all the shiny things I've offered her, not because I'm aware of any historical precedent for it.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Altars in the Slavic Tradition
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 11:33:08 am »
Quote from: Jack;123102

I do have an altar for Mara, mostly because she likes to have a place where I keep all the shiny things I've offered her, not because I'm aware of any historical precedent for it.

Darn, I used to have a decent photo of my home-altar. I'll have to make a new one soon. :)

orbilia

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Altars in the Slavic Tradition
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 09:25:01 pm »
Quote from: Jack;123102

Below is a link from the Romuva to a PDF; one of the chapters delineates/describes what is sacred space and there is a brief section of home altars. However, there is the idea that the land is in itself sacred - called "aikai," a sacred space, and these spaces were mostly found in nature. Pages 25-27.

http://www.romuva.lt/new/uploads/Literat%C5%ABra/Baltic%20religion%20EN%20www.pdf

Tags: