Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Ghost Advice Needed  (Read 2568 times)

Bugscuttle

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Ghost Advice Needed
« on: August 04, 2011, 12:25:05 am »
A lady (friend of a friend) who owns a small horse farm in my vicinity has offered me all the "black gold" I can cart away.  That's manure for you non-gardners lol.  She also casually mentioned that her land is among the most haunted in NW Indiana.  She claimed it to be haunted by Potawattami ghosts.  Supposedly a battle was fought there some time in the past.  She said "ghost hunters" have visited before and that one of the crappy rip-off ghost shows (my editorial comment... not hers) wanted to film there for 10 days, but she said no.
    Okie dokie, that's the background.  I was planning on making an offering of tobacco and corn to the Genii Loci and just being my usual respectful self while I'm there.
     Do any of you have any further advice when dealing with a "haunted" area?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 12:26:26 am by Bugscuttle »

Etheric1

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ghost Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 12:30:59 am »
Quote from: Bugscuttle;10518
A lady (friend of a friend) who owns a small horse farm in my vicinity has offered me all the "black gold" I can cart away.  That's manure for you non-gardners lol.  She also casually mentioned that her land is among the most haunted in NW Indiana.  She claimed it to be haunted by Potawattami ghosts.  Supposedly a battle was fought there some time in the past.  She said "ghost hunters" have visited before and that one of the crappy rip-off ghost shows (my editorial comment... not hers) wanted to film there for 10 days, but she said no.
    Okie dokie, that's the background.  I was planning on making an offering of tobacco and corn to the Genii Loci and just being my usual respectful self while I'm there.

I think that's a great start.  Other than that, wearing any protective amulets just because is a good idea as well.  I think making peace offerings and communicating respect to whatever is there goes a long way.
No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy. - Mel\'s Law of Dark Fluffs.
Nothing is more despicable than respect based on fear. – Albert Camus
You can easily judge the character of a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them. - unknown
“We cannot change our memories, but we can change their meaning and the power they have over us” - David Seamands

Fier

• Sr. Master Member
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pantheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 09:24:17 am »
I was planning on making an offering of tobacco and corn to the Genii Loci and just being my usual respectful self while I'm there.

I wouldn't worry too much. It sounds like the ghosts are attached to the land because of what happened there in the past, and are unlikely to decide they want to go home with you. Since you are only taking away a modern creation* I don't think they will be upset. (As opposed to say, cutting down trees or drilling for oil.) There is also the possibility that the ghosts are only memories of things from the past, and have no consciousness or ability to interact with you.

*I don't mean that manure is a modern invention, I mean that this particular manure is being created presently, and is not tied to the land the spirits remember.

AthenaiiseSofia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://finnblack.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 11:42:51 am »

All of these replies are great advice. I would also say just be respectful. Even if the spirits are not "intelligent" or "interactive" they still deserve our respect. A peace offering is a wonderful idea. Also, the suggestion about the protective amulet is smart, because you can never be too sure!
"Go then and make of the world something beautiful, set up a light in the darkness." - from Awakening Osiris by Normandi Ellis

Valentine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: get free; get others free; make new life in the aftermath
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 03:43:29 pm »

Dead folk are generally an awful lot like live folk.  Some of them are nice people, some of them aren't, and most of them, if they're hanging about here as ghosts, are at least a little traumatized--and trauma works on dead folk in a lot of the same ways it works on live folk, and there's less community and comfort for a lot of the people who're unsettled enough to go ghostly than there is for the living.  

I suppose just remember that they are people who you don't know, who went through something awful, and they deserve both your compassion and your good sense.  When your gut tells you a person's dangerous, live or dead, your gut's often right, even if it's not their fault.  One of the worst hauntings I ever dealt with was a very traumatized, very upset but ultimately very sweet teenage girl.  What happened to her wasn't her fault and it was awful, but she was still a danger.  Hungry, angry, grieving people may be very good people at heart, but it's worth being careful and remembering that "kind" and "nice" aren't the same thing.

In general, with the dead as with the living and the never-human, good manners are gold and then some.
"Let be be finale of seem." - Wallace Stevens, "The Emperor of Ice-Cream"
"There isn't a way things should be.  There's just what happens, and what we do."
- Terry Pratchett, "A Hat Full of Sky"

Bugscuttle

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 10:10:26 pm »
Quote from: Valentine;10620
Dead folk are generally an awful lot like live folk.  Some of them are nice people, some of them aren't, and most of them, if they're hanging about here as ghosts, are at least a little traumatized--and trauma works on dead folk in a lot of the same ways it works on live folk, and there's less community and comfort for a lot of the people who're unsettled enough to go ghostly than there is for the living.  

I suppose just remember that they are people who you don't know, who went through something awful, and they deserve both your compassion and your good sense.  When your gut tells you a person's dangerous, live or dead, your gut's often right, even if it's not their fault.  One of the worst hauntings I ever dealt with was a very traumatized, very upset but ultimately very sweet teenage girl.  What happened to her wasn't her fault and it was awful, but she was still a danger.  Hungry, angry, grieving people may be very good people at heart, but it's worth being careful and remembering that "kind" and "nice" aren't the same thing.

In general, with the dead as with the living and the never-human, good manners are gold and then some.

I just wanted to thank you all for your advice.  I will post back when I do go...I just have to find a friend with a Pickup truck first...
     I was going to say that I have no experience with ghosts but that's not completely true.  I am a cook in a nursing home and many of us who work there see folks out of the corner of our eyes, etc.  I'm thinking that since we lose a few residents every week, there must be one or two who are confused when they pass over.  Especially since some are victims of Alzheimers and other deliriums (deliria?).  But I've had no full-on encounters as such.
    So thanks all!

Etheric1

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 10:39:55 pm »
Quote from: Bugscuttle;10704
I just wanted to thank you all for your advice.  I will post back when I do go...I just have to find a friend with a Pickup truck first...
     I was going to say that I have no experience with ghosts but that's not completely true.  I am a cook in a nursing home and many of us who work there see folks out of the corner of our eyes, etc.  I'm thinking that since we lose a few residents every week, there must be one or two who are confused when they pass over.  Especially since some are victims of Alzheimers and other deliriums (deliria?).  But I've had no full-on encounters as such.
    So thanks all!

One last thing that popped into my head: do a quick prayer and a statement when you are done (just in the event anything is listening) that no one is welcome to come home with you is something I would do in addition to the peace offerings and protection work.
No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy. - Mel\'s Law of Dark Fluffs.
Nothing is more despicable than respect based on fear. – Albert Camus
You can easily judge the character of a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them. - unknown
“We cannot change our memories, but we can change their meaning and the power they have over us” - David Seamands

Tags: