Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Is there a good way to say "no you don't have it"?  (Read 7125 times)

Medulla

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a good way to say "no you don't have it"?
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2013, 05:29:46 am »
Quote from: Jack;122835

Anybody have a script for that?

There are two ways I usually go about saying it. One is if they're obviously saying that without thinking and don't literally mean they have whatever they're talking about. In that case I'll make some casual but clear remark about it. For example, if it's the disorder I do have, I'm very open about it so I'll ask them if they have it too or whatever. Depending on the person I might also point out upfront that doing that doesn't mean they have it and that it's hurtful to people.

If they just seem to be diagnosing themselves, I'll keep communication more open. Mostly because I was self-diagnosed before I could see a professional to get their opinion about it, it was very clear I had the disorder I have. For a lot of people, it might be difficult or downright impossible to see a doctor at this time, because of factors like money or their families. Even if they're straight up wrong, if something is causing them so much distress it's still helpful to encourage them to seek help and get diagnosed instead of just saying shutting down all communication and telling them they have nothing.

Tags: