"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Is there a good way to say "no you don't have it"?  (Read 7129 times)

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
Is there a good way to say "no you don't have it"?
« on: September 23, 2013, 10:34:15 pm »
So I don't think it's a secret that I'm OCD. Fortunately I don't get much in the way of "pull yourself up by your bootstraps and stop counting ceiling tiles" but what I do get, all the time, is "oh yes I am also OCD that's why I'm good at reviewing files" or "oh yes I am also OCD my DVDs are all in order" or something.

And I just want to be like NO YOU ARE NOT STOP IT.

Anybody have a script for that?
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a good way to say "no you don't have it"?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 10:47:48 pm »
Quote from: Jack;122835
So I don't think it's a secret that I'm OCD. Fortunately I don't get much in the way of "pull yourself up by your bootstraps and stop counting ceiling tiles" but what I do get, all the time, is "oh yes I am also OCD that's why I'm good at reviewing files" or "oh yes I am also OCD my DVDs are all in order" or something.

People do that with ADHD, too. Either it's not a real thing and it's wildly over-diagnosed, or they're sure they've got it too, just because they fidget. I've found that "Really? How old were you when you were diagnosed?" tends to shut the people up who are helping themselves to a diagnosis that they aren't taking seriously.

(As a side note, I will say that the pop-culture "super organized" version of OCD looks like a lot more fun than the real thing that I've seen from, you know, actual humans.)
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 10:55:49 pm »

As long as you know for sure that they are not I would say it just like you said it there.

NO YOU ARE NOT. STOP IT.
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 11:07:56 pm »
Quote from: Fireof9;122840
As long as you know for sure that they are not I would say it just like you said it there.

NO YOU ARE NOT. STOP IT.

I'd go with Stephy's option maybe ask about what medication they've tried then if they keep pushing it Firof9's or give them real life symptoms (not necessarily your own because NO) or depending on your relationship and the usefulness of the butthead in question just like, bawl 'em out. *may've done that once*

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 02:29:39 am »

I can relate a bit. I either get people who think they have Asperger's too because they're introverts, or (more commonly) I get some attempt at denial that I have it, like "I'd never have guessed" or "You don't seem like you have it". Both are wildly difficult to refute. I talk about diagnosis and symptoms (mostly the latter) to get people to stop. It's highly annoying, though. It's like, I'm busy and tired enough dealing with this thing - do I have to deal with your 'me too'/your efforts to make me 'prove it' *too*? Meh.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

dionysiandame

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 07:39:54 am »

I think "No you are not. Stop it." is the best way to go.

I can totally relate with you on this since I've had people think my Bipolar Disorder is either something I've convinced myself I have (never mind that I've been diagnosed by a professional) or something that should have me institutionalized.

Ignoramuses think because they took some kind of online test or read an article on Psychology Today or Yahoo Health they have all of the knowledge available with regard to mental illness and emotional disorders.
Writ, Ritual, and Revelation - Where I wax poetic about nothing at all.
2 Mallards and Thyme- Gastronomy, History, Odds & Ends
Become my latest obsession on Goodreads

He keeps me with all of his other pretty things for I am just another pretty thing in a long list of acquisitions.

Sunshine

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 08:02:26 am »

As you're probably aware, there's a related, more minor condition known as Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder, which, while often more serious than "all my DVDs are alphabetized" does not have the same impact on daily life.

When people tell me they're OCD over things like that, I often ask whether they mean OCPD and use it as a teaching/slight shaming moment. ("When was the last time you rushed home to check the oven evn though you hadn't used it in two days?")

If I'm short on spoons, I say, pretty snarkily, "It sounds like you mean CDO. It's the exact same as OCD, but all the letters are in alphabetical order."

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 08:10:46 am »

I find "everyone's got /one thing/ they're OCD about, but imagine doing that with everything" tends to be a bit of a shut-up.

Because yes, most people have a completely irrational *twitch* about one thing.  Which is nothing like having it about *everything*.  But it might give a basis of real comparison - and really, shutting the hell up about it is more likely to come from understanding.

Charis

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 06:50:03 pm »

Someone close to me does this all the time, and it drives me nuts.  Telling them they don't have it causes ... uh... tension.  With some people, it's more than they just think they have it; some people seem to want to have it for whatever reason.

Lykeios Lysios

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Shamanism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/any (Fluid)
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 09:26:19 pm »

I'd hand them a copy of the DSM IV. :p

Though it might be better to just copy the pages about OCD. If you give them the whole thing they might find other things with which to diagnose themselves. Lol.
"Man fears the darkness, and so he scrapes away at the edges of it with fire." - Rei Ayanami
"Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free. Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate." - Zhuangzi

Revenant

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 03:51:44 pm »
Quote from: Charis;122966
Someone close to me does this all the time, and it drives me nuts.  Telling them they don't have it causes ... uh... tension.  With some people, it's more than they just think they have it; some people seem to want to have it for whatever reason.

Which makes absolutely no sense to me because anyone that has it, really has it, would do just about anything to not have it.
"When I have a terrible need of - shall I say the word - religion, then I go out and paint the stars."  ~Vincent Van Gogh~

Schuyler

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 08:10:03 pm »

I get this as well, but with my bipolar.

"Oh, totally. I'm bipolar too--- I am always PMSing!"

Honestly, I don't even respond. I go with just a long, blank stare (which coworkers, friends, and family have all told me is terrifying to behold). That usually succeeds in making them feel like an idiot.

Fier

• Sr. Master Member
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pantheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 08:38:05 pm »
NO YOU ARE NOT STOP IT.

I find it rather rude to claim one knows more about a person's health/mental state than they do, so I think Stephy's response is great. It shuts up those who really are full of it but leaves a line of conversation open for those who do indeed feel afflicted.

Riothamus12

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: The Nameless Path
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 08:17:48 pm »

Unfortunately I cannot think of it. Most situations generally will guarantee someones toe will get stepped on. People who are thoroughly convinced will argue with you about it. The best way I can think of is just to gently point out other factors that could play into their misconception. Of course it's also possible that some such individuals may actually have a very mild form.
https://inthespiritofconversation.wordpress.com/
I started a blog. Feel free to peruse. It's still in it's early stages and I have to write more, so do bare with me if it's all a little basic so far.

Liadine (dragonflyeyes)

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2013, 08:06:16 am »

Oh god, that's exhausting. The one I go to for hypochondria (I have other stuff going on, but that's the one people are most likely to respond to in the way they do with OCD) is "yeah, sometimes it's [x thing they mention], but usually it's [y thing that actually impedes my life]". Obviously using this tactic depends on the person/my willingness to share, but I find that as long as I keep my voice upbeat and conversational they get the picture that this isn't something to take lightly. If the situation doesn't call for that kind of thing, or if I just don't have the energy, I go with "yeah, I wish it was the usual variety instead of the clinical one" and then bean-dip the subject.

If it's someone I care about, or someone who seems to be in some kind of obvious distress, I'll go a little deeper into explaining why that's not cool, or poking at what they do think is wrong with them. In my experience a lot of people who go YEAH I'VE GOT THAT TOO do have things going wrong in their head or life, but they don't know how to express that/don't know what's going on/think that by attaching themselves to your problem they might get some attention for their own problems. Obviously that takes a lot of energy, but if someone I'm going to see again it's sometimes easier in the long run.
We owe it to each other to tell stories [Neil Gaiman]
night's a good herd [my religious tumblr]

Tags: