Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Working with Germanic gods  (Read 1905 times)

Zanze

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Working with Germanic gods
« on: September 12, 2013, 04:40:46 am »
I'm considering working with some Germanic gods. Mostly due to the fact that I have both Anglo-Saxon and German ancestry and I'm leaning towards more the Anglo-Saxon side of things. I've felt the call for quite a while but have put it off.

The thing is however, I'm terrified of working with them. Unlike some other European pantheons such as the Irish or Romans, they seem to me to be very dark, intimidating and temperamental deities. As a result, they scare the crap out of me and it's holding me back from engaging with them.

Has this been anybody else's experience with them? Can anybody offer any advice for my current situation?

Geroth

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Working with Germanic gods
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 04:49:44 am »
Quote from: Zanze;121468
I'm considering working with some Germanic gods. Mostly due to the fact that I have both Anglo-Saxon and German ancestry and I'm leaning towards more the Anglo-Saxon side of things. I've felt the call for quite a while but have put it off.

The thing is however, I'm terrified of working with them. Unlike some other European pantheons such as the Irish or Romans, they seem to me to be very dark, intimidating and temperamental deities. As a result, they scare the crap out of me and it's holding me back from engaging with them.

Has this been anybody else's experience with them? Can anybody offer any advice for my current situation?

You are not alone, many people who wish to work with Norse deities often feel the same way, myself included. Some gods, such as Odin and Loki are definatley dark. Whilst others such as Thor and Njord are in my opinion, very approachable. It's a mixed bag. Regardless, the Nordic gods are definatley not "fluffy" by any stretch of the imagination. In your post, you mentioned feeling drawn more towards Anglo-Saxon tradition. This is very much my UPG but I feel the Anglo-Saxon deities (although the same gods) are a bit more laid back and not so "harsh" compared to their Norse versions. Maybe you could try exploring the Anglo-Saxon side of things and see how that turns out for you.

Aiwelin

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 09:02:34 am »
Quote from: Geroth;121471
In your post, you mentioned feeling drawn more towards Anglo-Saxon tradition. This is very much my UPG but I feel the Anglo-Saxon deities (although the same gods) are a bit more laid back and not so "harsh" compared to their Norse versions. Maybe you could try exploring the Anglo-Saxon side of things and see how that turns out for you.

This has been my experience.  There's no Ragnarok that we know of in Anglo-Saxon myth!  I honor Thunor and Frige, and both of them are pretty open and friendly (with the occasional sense of an exasperated Frige because I suck at housework).
Devotee of Nerthus
Worshipper of Germanic Deities
Now blogging on Patheos Pagan!  Check out Heathen at Heart

In the Nebraska-Iowa area?  Come check out Prairie Shadow Protogrove, ADF!
Ár nDraíocht Féin
The Troth

ALiteraryLady

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 09:41:46 am »

Congrats on possibly finding a pantheon to work with. I also have Northern European and Anglo Saxon ancestry (with a dip of French?), so I found myself drawn to them a few years ago in my practice. I personally work with Norse deities at the moment, specifically Frigg, and I have to say that I find her more warm and inviting than dark. Granted, if you had to make a list of nice to mean, she's the top of the nice list, but even then, being a nice deity doesn't mean that they tolerate all kinds of stupids and fails. She has a distaff and isn't afraid to use it :D

Is the terror you feel more from not knowing specifically how to build a relationship with these deities? Or is it more not knowing the nuts and bolts of Norse mythology, or the Eddas? I think pin pointing what causes you this stress is the best way to move past it, or at least it was for me. Once I realized that Thor wasn't going to thunderbolt me down into Hel's realm, I felt okay taking a moment to pause and thank him during much needed thunderstorms.

Sometimes (after some prep work of course) you do have to simply honor the gods. I now have an altar for Frigg where I can honor her and her handmaidens and it feels great to take a few moments every day (or other day) to simply talk to her and let her know that I respect her and want a relationship with her. Be respectful and research a deity that may work for you, don't honor one simply because every other Germanic pagan does. Good luck.

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • Religion: Norse/Germanic Polytheists
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 10:47:33 am »

Some are more approachable then others. Some you will never have an interest in. Almost an group of gods has those that are on the dark side since life is like that. Wisdom and life are not always pretty. Thor is very approachable and a great place to start. You might want to look into Waincraft too.

Riothamus12

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: The Nameless Path
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 11:13:00 am »
Quote from: Geroth;121471
You are not alone, many people who wish to work with Norse deities often feel the same way, myself included. Some gods, such as Odin and Loki are definatley dark. Whilst others such as Thor and Njord are in my opinion, very approachable. It's a mixed bag. Regardless, the Nordic gods are definatley not "fluffy" by any stretch of the imagination. In your post, you mentioned feeling drawn more towards Anglo-Saxon tradition. This is very much my UPG but I feel the Anglo-Saxon deities (although the same gods) are a bit more laid back and not so "harsh" compared to their Norse versions. Maybe you could try exploring the Anglo-Saxon side of things and see how that turns out for you.

I personally never got the impression Odin was hard to approach. He's just very stern and sagely. Certainly he seems grim from a distance (distance being used in a metaphorical sense here), but even his most "grim" aspects do not fill me with a sense of fear, but awe. He strikes me as stern and reprimanding, but also sagely and fatherly if not somewhat abrasive only at the first glance. I feel that any God is approachable, it's just a matter of developing an understanding of them. Though yes, in general they do seem more stern, rough, and forceful than others.
https://inthespiritofconversation.wordpress.com/
I started a blog. Feel free to peruse. It's still in it's early stages and I have to write more, so do bare with me if it's all a little basic so far.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 01:40:26 pm »
Quote from: Riothamus12;121500
I personally never got the impression Odin was hard to approach. He's just very stern and sagely. Certainly he seems grim from a distance (distance being used in a metaphorical sense here), but even his most "grim" aspects do not fill me with a sense of fear, but awe. He strikes me as stern and reprimanding, but also sagely and fatherly if not somewhat abrasive only at the first glance. I feel that any God is approachable, it's just a matter of developing an understanding of them. Though yes, in general they do seem more stern, rough, and forceful than others.

Odin is definitely approachable, the question is more whether leaving is an option once you've got his attention. ;)
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Zanze

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 07:29:56 pm »
Quote from: ALiteraryLady;121489
Is the terror you feel more from not knowing specifically how to build a relationship with these deities? Or is it more not knowing the nuts and bolts of Norse mythology, or the Eddas? I think pin pointing what causes you this stress is the best way to move past it, or at least it was for me. Once I realized that Thor wasn't going to thunderbolt me down into Hel's realm, I felt okay taking a moment to pause and thank him during much needed thunderstorms.

I have read the Eddas and that did scared me, I think that is where I primarily got the darkness from. But the terror I feel mostly comes from reading online forums where the personalities of the gods were discussed and also "gut feelings" I have about them.

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 09:25:38 pm »
Quote from: Jack;121511
Odin is definitely approachable, the question is more whether leaving is an option once you've got his attention. ;)

That's been my experience as well. Though I also find him to be crafty, clever and have kind of a twisted way of teaching a person something he wants them to learn. But really........ would one want a deity that does not have at least the first two of those attributes?
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

Tay Redgrave

• Journeyman
  • Devil May Cry's a rockin'
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Polytheistic Hedgewitch
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 11:37:18 pm »

I have Scottish/Welsh ancestry so notice me surprise when a Norse God starts popping around (a la Loki) and feels so much like 'Home' that it baffled me. Eventually, I started to get a pull into Odin's direction and that was the moment I started to freak out. Nothing seemed to scare me more than catching Odin's attention. There's more awe and respect than fear today, though.

Neither Loki nor Odin have been dark but they certainly do have their fair share of craftiness and deceptiveness so, it's kind of best to keep an eye out. Just in case...

As for advice? The harsher side of me is saying that staying away from them, due to being terrified of them, isn't going to get you anywhere. If you really want to work with them, suck it up and do it. Answer the call you feel.

If you haven't already: Get to know them. It also might be wise to look at the difference (and similarities) between the Anglo-Saxon gods and the Germanic gods.

Quote from: Jack;121511

Oh gods, I get that feeling every now and then. I tried resisting the pull I was feeling and that seemed swell and wonderful... until a friend of mine got asking me a few things about Paganism because they were interested in it due to being drawn to Odin and Hela.

I thought it really wasn't right to tell them about a god I didn't particularly know well and decided to built an altar and oh, look, answering the freakin' pull I was getting from him at the same time.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 11:38:26 pm by Tay Redgrave »

Fionnbharr

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2013, 08:56:13 am »

At some point you have to take the first step, whether it is to approach them or not is your choice. I agree with the wisdom of just "suck it up" and do it (and I guess you already are with the creation this thread). Here are my experience with Idunn and Baldr who can be both though yet soft. Then there is also the gentle Bragi that teaches the heart to sing with joy: In darkness there is always a light, a smile, a song to be shared. Simply put it on your lips and let it lighten your day.

My experience with Idunn is that she honors those who work hard. So if you are willing to do the work then she will teach you to tend to your internal garden, making it fertile and prosperous. My experience with Baldr is that he honors those who are brave, those who dare face their own shadows. The path he shows can be dark and scary, yet it reveals such beauty at the end of day that all the hardship is worth it. It is kind of like he turns your worst nightmares inside out. At least that is my experience :whis:
Grief and sorrow grows on the far banks of the river Styx, go there and visit them and you might not find your own way back home. - Achilles

Ravyn

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 08:21:59 pm »

i do not work with the Norse gods.  However, for a long time i had a renter who was noticed by AllFather (Odin)... and therefore, AllFather pays attention to my entire household... even tho now that renter has moved away, and the scrutiny is...less.

For me, as one who is not Heathen, AllFather was always kindly, approachable - for a bit.  Frankly it felt like He was amused by the chosen household of my renter.  But also always busy, always focused, and always thinking of What Was Coming.  To me, as not Heathen, the Norse Gods are harsh when They need to be, and kind when They can... but mostly what we feel from the outside, They are reserved until They have deiced what They think of you.  Once you are adopted as one of Theirs, They can be warm and welcoming and protective... and They will likely put you thru your paces.  

One thought... Loki is a Trickster God and nothing is as simple as the childhood translations of the myths we read... so it is often less good and evil but more Order and Chaos - either of which can range from good to evil, but no matter what is a more complicated view on a not simple Divine culture.  (at least, how i see it.)

Tay Redgrave

• Journeyman
  • Devil May Cry's a rockin'
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Polytheistic Hedgewitch
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 10:09:14 am »
Quote from: Ravyn;123147
To me, as not Heathen, the Norse Gods are harsh when They need to be, and kind when They can... but mostly what we feel from the outside, They are reserved until They have deiced what They think of you.  Once you are adopted as one of Theirs, They can be warm and welcoming and protective... and They will likely put you thru your paces.

That's a good way of putting it, actually. They can be "scary" at first but aren't actually all that bad once you and them get to know each other.

One thought... Loki is a Trickster God and nothing is as simple as the childhood translations of the myths we read... so it is often less good and evil but more Order and Chaos - either of which can range from good to evil, but no matter what is a more complicated view on a not simple Divine culture.  (at least, how i see it.)

Which also means that things can kind of get into that little grey area and that you can't translate Order/Chaos back to good/evil as they're not really the same thing at all, and Order/Chaos can't really work without the other, you know? You could try but I imagine that'd be one unbalanced world.

So as much as one can claim Loki is "evil" and try to generally ignore him, Loki is needed just as much as the Aesir are needed. You can't really have one without the other but, hey, personal opinion and all.

Louisvillian

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Syncretic religio romana/Hellenised Romano-British religion
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2013, 09:07:36 am »
The thing is however, I'm terrified of working with them. Unlike some other European pantheons such as the Irish or Romans, they seem to me to be very dark, intimidating and temperamental deities.

You would be quite wrong. Most gods of most pantheons, whether it's Irish or Greek or Roman or Germanic what have you, are capricious and intimidating. They are also loving and protective. They are also wrathful. They are also stern. They are also kind. They are also helpful.
They're temperamentally everything under the sun because they're gods; there's dozens of the, and they're all bound only by their word and whims. The Germanic gods are no different than the other gods in this regard.

So, really, they're about as approachable and predictable as any other pantheon of gods. If you're trying to connect with them, it's all a matter of whom you come into contact with and for what purpose.

Tags: