"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Baba Yaga: The Ambiguous Mother and Witch of the Russian Folklore  (Read 3793 times)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Baba Yaga: The Ambiguous Mother and Witch of the Russian Folklore
« on: September 05, 2013, 08:02:21 am »

Title: Baba Yaga: The Ambiguous Mother and Witch of the Russian Folklore
Author(s): Andreas Johns
Publisher: Peter Lang Publishing
Publication Date: April 2004
ISBN: 0820467693
ISBN-13: 978-0820467696
Current Price and More Info from Amazon

[size=+1]Description:[/size]
Baba Yaga is a well-known witch from the folklore tradition of Russia, Ukraine, and Belarus. A fascinating and colorful character, she resembles witches of other traditions but is in many ways unique. Living in the forest in a hut that stands and moves on chicken legs, she travels in a mortar with a pestle and sweeps away her tracks with a broom. In some tales she tries to harm the protagonist, while in others she is helpful. This book investigates the image and ambiguity of Baba Yaga in detail and considers the meanings she has for East Slavic culture. Providing a broad survey of folktales and other sources, it is the most thorough study of Baba Yaga yet published and will be of interest to students of anthropology, comparative literature, folklore, and Slavic and East European studies.

[size=+1]Special Notes:[/size]

[size=-1]Legal Notes: Some description text and item pictures in this post may come from Amazon.com and are used by permission. The Cauldron is an Amazon Affiliate and purchases made through the Amazon links in this message help support The Cauldron.[/size]

[size=+1]Discussion and reviews of this book are welcome in this thread. If you've read the book, please tell us what you think of it and why.[/size]
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Baba Yaga: The Ambiguous Mother and Witch of the Russian Folklore
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 01:07:40 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;120905

Thanks, Randall!

I've just gotten started on this book, so I'll post my thoughts as I go- by chapter, maybe. Catja recommended it to me in the Baba Yaga thread in the Baltic & Slavic SIG:

Quote from: catja6;119581
The only single-volume study I can think of off the top of my head is Andreas Johns' Baba Yaga: The Ambiguous Mother and Witch of the Russian Folktale. I have some issues with this book:  he is waaaaaay too Freudian for my taste; he was a student of Alan Dundes, who is basically the only person who managed to do folklore and psychoanalysis (semi-)successfully, but Johns is not Dundes and isn't nearly as good at dealing with the completely contradictory approaches of those disciplines. That said, there is a metric ton of useful info in there, and I'd class it as required reading.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Tags: