Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: School Pentagram Policy  (Read 7139 times)

Aeronis

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
School Pentagram Policy
« on: September 04, 2013, 12:12:43 pm »
So, my school is very lenient on religious symbols, and I'm allowed to miss classes for Sabbats if I wish to go to gatherings and such. What about you? What's your school's policy on various pagan things?

Nekomata

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: School Pentagram Policy
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 05:02:35 am »
Quote from: Lauren L.;120841
So, my school is very lenient on religious symbols, and I'm allowed to miss classes for Sabbats if I wish to go to gatherings and such. What about you? What's your school's policy on various pagan things?

Since its a college, the policies are very relaxed.  I have issues at work however with the double standard. Our policy is no religious jewelry save wedding rings, but crosses get "overlooked "  on a regular basis while my pentagram and a friends rune (not a practitioner even, just a sentimental gift) get noted every time.
"It starts with reading books through your butt, then it goes to speaking through your butt, then your head gets stuck up your butt and then help is needed to pull it out"- Neteruhemta

"Ah, quiet insular communities. There\'s always something nasty going on behind closed doors. I hope it involves chains. I hope they ask me to join in."- Zevran Arainai

Aeronis

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 06:59:05 pm »
Quote from: Nekomata;120895
Since its a college, the policies are very relaxed.  I have issues at work however with the double standard. Our policy is no religious jewelry save wedding rings, but crosses get "overlooked "  on a regular basis while my pentagram and a friends rune (not a practitioner even, just a sentimental gift) get noted every time.

That kind of reminds me of the third (?) verse of the song "Symbol". About how pentagrams are religious symbols and not demonic symbols of evil.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 07:23:31 pm »
Quote from: Lauren L.;121132
About how pentagrams are religious symbols....

Also mathematical.  Geometric perfection, golden ratio, etc.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Nekomata

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 06:12:46 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;121134

Yay for applied assumptions to things besides just people?  /sarcasm
"It starts with reading books through your butt, then it goes to speaking through your butt, then your head gets stuck up your butt and then help is needed to pull it out"- Neteruhemta

"Ah, quiet insular communities. There\'s always something nasty going on behind closed doors. I hope it involves chains. I hope they ask me to join in."- Zevran Arainai

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 08:01:10 am »
Quote from: Nekomata;121170
Yay for applied assumptions to things besides just people?  /sarcasm

Maybe it's too early in the morning.  That whooshing sound was your sarcasm going right over my head.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 10:59:05 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;121134

About that:
http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/showwiki.php?title=The+Pentagon+and+Pentagram:+5+Phi+Harmony
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 11:13:10 am »
Quote from: Altair;121185
About that:
http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/showwiki.php?title=The+Pentagon+and+Pentagram:+5+Phi+Harmony

Very nice.  Hmm, who wrote that.

Oh hey, you did.  :D:
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Kokopelli

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
School Pentagram Policy
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 11:40:16 am »

My company is very diverse and does not prohibit religious symbols or items on our persons or work spaces.  Some things are not allowed for safety reasons, eg an incense burner.

But I could have a pentagram or statue of one of the gods or goddesses, and there isn't anything anyone can do about it.  Granted, if I start prosthelytizing, I can get in trouble.  But the company allows me to keep anything relating to my beliefs in my personal space.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 12:31:31 pm »
Quote from: MadZealot;121187
Very nice.  Hmm, who wrote that.

Oh hey, you did.  :D:

The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Aeronis

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 11:30:32 am »
Quote from: Kokopelli;121237
My company is very diverse and does not prohibit religious symbols or items on our persons or work spaces.  Some things are not allowed for safety reasons, eg an incense burner.

But I could have a pentagram or statue of one of the gods or goddesses, and there isn't anything anyone can do about it.  Granted, if I start prosthelytizing, I can get in trouble.  But the company allows me to keep anything relating to my beliefs in my personal space.

Oh, that's cool!

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 06:31:56 am »

In primary and secondary school, I was in uniform and school policy was no jewellery whatsoever. Small stud earrings were allowed, but even those had to be taken out for PE. Anything beyond official dress code was off - so no turbans or hijabs either.

In 6th form, the uniform went but jewellery rules had to do with safety: no dangly or jangly stuff, but those studs or that little pendant could be any shape or symbol we wanted. There were a LOT of pentagrams on bags and notebooks, I can tell you!

Now, of course, legal adult + liberal arts college = anything goes.
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

xxmoonxraverxx

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
    • http://xxmoonxraverxx.tumblr.com/tagged/book-of-shadows
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 11:17:16 pm »
my school is very lenient on religious symbols, and I'm allowed to miss classes for Sabbats

i'm so glad that your school is so accepting!
i went to a school last year that was kind of an advanced placement school (sadly i failed out, but am working on my GED) and a boy wore a pentagram and although a few other boys joked about it (nothing too bad, they kept saying it was "upside down" because they prefer the upside down one, so to them, a rightside up one would be upside down) but other than that, nobody said a word about it.
looking back on it, it's the same boy who ate a snake's shed skin for a brazilian dollar :eek:

xxmoonxraverxx

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
    • http://xxmoonxraverxx.tumblr.com/tagged/book-of-shadows
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 11:19:08 pm »
Quote from: Chatelaine;122254

Now, of course, legal adult + liberal arts college = anything goes.

can't wait until i get my GED so i can go to college. of course, i have to go through middle school math, science, and history because i stopped learning in middle school due to bull crap... at least i tested out of english.

Aeronis

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2013, 10:44:46 am »
Quote from: xxmoonxraverxx;130693
can't wait until i get my GED so i can go to college. of course, i have to go through middle school math, science, and history because i stopped learning in middle school due to bull crap... at least i tested out of english.

Just hang in there. I'm not gonna spew the crap about how you should enjoy your middle school years, because kids can be nuts. But I will say that eventually middle school will end. For me, I never went back to a traditional high-school after the middle grades. I go to a liberal early-college now, where I can get an associate's degree and a high-school diploma.

Tags: