Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:04:14 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 06:56:16 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Yei
[Today at 06:56:00 pm]

Author Topic: Suggestions For Storybooks  (Read 5124 times)

Indra

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://apagansoul.wix.com/apagansoul
Suggestions For Storybooks
« on: August 30, 2013, 05:54:17 pm »
I'd like to buy my little girl some books based on mythologies, Paganism and other such subjects so that her entire library doesn't just consist of 'The Gruffalo' and similar books! She's just about to turn 3 and i'd love any suggestions of things to buy her for birthday and Christmas. Many thanks!

Oh and as an aside and on the subject of presents, anyone got any ideas of what 3 year olds like? I'm trying to make a list to prepare but I'm stumped! :D

Edeline

• View Profile
Re: Suggestions For Storybooks
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 06:43:37 pm »
Quote from: Indra;120496
I'd like to buy my little girl some books based on mythologies, Paganism and other such subjects so that her entire library doesn't just consist of 'The Gruffalo' and similar books!

I have a little girl the same age as yours, and she just adores books of fairytales.  Not just the usual Disney favourites like Snow White and Cinderella (although they certainly have their place on the book shelf), but the older, less well known stories drawn from folklore.  I got her a beautifully illustrated book of Cornish legends for her birthday last year, and it’s a lovely book for us to read together at bedtime.  She particularly likes the story of the mermaid of zennor.  This year I’m getting her these books of Celtic legends:

Irish Fairy Tales

Celtic Fairy Tales

They’re not pagan books per say, because frankly, I haven’t found any that fit the bill, but I do believe that much of the surviving folklore and legends from the ‘celtic’ lands still retain a grain of pre-Christian mythology, so they’re a great way of giving young children a flavour of the culture without hitting them over the head with it.  I will say though that these books tend to be quite wordy for a toddler, and I have to read them to her, but they’re gorgeous books and something my little girl to treasure as she gets older and is able to read for herself.

As for more general presents, I can only speak for my little witch, but anything pink and with a fairy or a mermaid slapped on it usually goes down a treat.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 06:49:11 pm by Edeline »
There may be faeries.
There may be elves.
But the Gods help those who help themselves.

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 06:55:06 pm »
Quote from: Edeline;120502
I got her a beautifully illustrated book of Cornish legends for her birthday last year, and it’s a lovely book for us to read together at bedtime.

Would you mind sharing the name? I'd love to check it out.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Edeline

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 07:06:39 pm »
Quote from: Juni;120504
Would you mind sharing the name? I'd love to check it out.

It's Cornish Tales by Eric Quayle.  Very sweet little book - although some of the tales can be quite scary for wee ones - and the illustrations are very pretty.  I'd say it's more of a book for older-ish children (maybe seven or eight year olds) but if you're prepared to sit and read, there's some lovely stories for younger children to enjoy.
There may be faeries.
There may be elves.
But the Gods help those who help themselves.

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 07:34:31 pm »
Quote from: Edeline;120505
It's Cornish Tales by Eric Quayle.  Very sweet little book - although some of the tales can be quite scary for wee ones - and the illustrations are very pretty.  I'd say it's more of a book for older-ish children (maybe seven or eight year olds) but if you're prepared to sit and read, there's some lovely stories for younger children to enjoy.

Thanks!
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Indra

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 04:38:06 am »
Quote from: Edeline;120502
I have a little girl the same age as yours, and she just adores books of fairytales.  Not just the usual Disney favourites like Snow White and Cinderella (although they certainly have their place on the book shelf), but the older, less well known stories drawn from folklore.  I got her a beautifully illustrated book of Cornish legends for her birthday last year, and it’s a lovely book for us to read together at bedtime.  She particularly likes the story of the mermaid of zennor.  This year I’m getting her these books of Celtic legends:

Irish Fairy Tales

Celtic Fairy Tales

They’re not pagan books per say, because frankly, I haven’t found any that fit the bill, but I do believe that much of the surviving folklore and legends from the ‘celtic’ lands still retain a grain of pre-Christian mythology, so they’re a great way of giving young children a flavour of the culture without hitting them over the head with it.  I will say though that these books tend to be quite wordy for a toddler, and I have to read them to her, but they’re gorgeous books and something my little girl to treasure as she gets older and is able to read for herself.

As for more general presents, I can only speak for my little witch, but anything pink and with a fairy or a mermaid slapped on it usually goes down a treat.

Thankyou for the suggestions! I'll go hunting :D I was thinking about Aesop's fables and I think it was Rudyard Kipling's stories that I used to read when I was younger.....

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 05:50:32 am »
I'd like to buy my little girl some books based on mythologies, Paganism and other such subjects so that her entire library doesn't just consist of 'The Gruffalo' and similar books! She's just about to turn 3 and i'd love any suggestions of things to buy her for birthday and Christmas. Many thanks!

Oh and as an aside and on the subject of presents, anyone got any ideas of what 3 year olds like? I'm trying to make a list to prepare but I'm stumped! :D

Oh, I bought a great book of Irish tales for my five year old niece, which might be a little old for yours right now, but would be good for the future for you. It has a CD attached so she can listen along. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CB5V3X0/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I can't work out if it's available on Amazon US - doesn't look like it - but you might be able to find it somewhere else.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 05:51:03 am »
Quote from: Naomi J;120541
Oh, I bought a great book of Irish tales for my five year old niece, which might be a little old for yours right now, but would be good for the future for you. It has a CD attached so she can listen along. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CB5V3X0/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I can't work out if it's available on Amazon US - doesn't look like it - but you might be able to find it somewhere else.

Aaaand I've just realised you're in the UK - so that works!
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 10:21:11 am »

It's not explicitly pagan, but Where the Wild Things Are shaped a lot of my spiritual beliefs.

I remember having the D'Aulaire myth books when I was younger, too.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 11:20:10 am »
I'd like to buy my little girl some books based on mythologies, Paganism and other such subjects so that her entire library doesn't just consist of 'The Gruffalo' and similar books!

"The Star-Bearer" covers the Heliopolitan Egyptian creation myth in a lovely age-appropriate way and manages to bowdlerise the sex in a way that doesn't infuriate me.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Indra

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 03:37:33 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;120555
"The Star-Bearer" covers the Heliopolitan Egyptian creation myth in a lovely age-appropriate way and manages to bowdlerise the sex in a way that doesn't infuriate me.

Lots more lovely suggestions, thankyou! X

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 04:20:01 pm »

It's a little old for her now, but I really like The Broken Tusk - Stories of the Hindu God Ganesha.  My son and I used to read it together when he was six.  It's a nice compilation of Ganesha stories, and it has a bibliography in the back.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Bear-craft

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 03:54:46 am »

Tomie dePaola's "Strega Nona" books! Strega Nona (which means "Grandmother Witch") is like a sweet, pleasant, old house/folk witch. My parents read the books to me as a child! And now my mom wants my kids (who are nonexistent, mind you) to call her Nona. Anyway, I highly recommend these books and any other ones by Tomie dePaola!

Tags: