"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: KOS: 6. Purpose and Point  (Read 3859 times)

Emerald

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
KOS: 6. Purpose and Point
« on: August 30, 2013, 05:20:33 am »
Prompt: What do you think your purposes are? What do you want them to be? What does purpose mean to you?

dionysiandame

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: KOS: 6. Purpose and Point
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 07:19:33 pm »
Quote from: Emerald;120466
Prompt: What do you think your purposes are? What do you want them to be? What does purpose mean to you?

Gods I wish I knew. I know one of my purposes is to serve Dionysos. Another one may be to continue attempting to learn as much about the unseen universe as possible.

I'd like my purpose to surround helping people. I try to be my friends' biggest advocate, giving encouragement when needed and being a cheerleader for their goals and ambitions. I'd like to let people know it's okay to be human. It's okay to fall, fail, and fuck-up and not everyone is judging them for it.

In the end, I guess purpose means, to me anyway, fulfilling some kind of role. Being useful. I guess I could go through life only looking toward a horizon created by my ego, but I'd like to think my purpose it to create multiple horizons with many people, where we all meet up on a beach for good food and wine every once in awhile.

This probably makes no sense.

I did what I could y'all. LOL!
Writ, Ritual, and Revelation - Where I wax poetic about nothing at all.
2 Mallards and Thyme- Gastronomy, History, Odds & Ends
Become my latest obsession on Goodreads

He keeps me with all of his other pretty things for I am just another pretty thing in a long list of acquisitions.

Nekomata

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 02:15:48 am »

My purpose... Joking I have always said I was a flaw in the grand plan since I never seemed to fit any of the conventional stereotypes or labels, and I kind I'd embraced that idea.  I see my purpose as being someone who encourages others to not be afraid to be who they are. To not let others tell them what to do or who to be. To LIVE and encourage others to do the same.

I don't mind if that is my purpose, helping people be comfortable with themselves and make their own choices is a good purpose.

Purpose to me is what I can contribute while I am here and what people gain from knowing me.
"It starts with reading books through your butt, then it goes to speaking through your butt, then your head gets stuck up your butt and then help is needed to pull it out"- Neteruhemta

"Ah, quiet insular communities. There\'s always something nasty going on behind closed doors. I hope it involves chains. I hope they ask me to join in."- Zevran Arainai

Dark Midnight

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 02:22:23 am »

I'm not quite sure how to say any of this, probably because it's stupid o'clock and I haven't slept in a week, but I'll have a go...

I guess my purpose is helping other people in whatever way I can, no matter how small or large a way it needs to be. Also, to be the best that I can at all times. Even if all that entails is getting on with my daily chores etc whilst in screaming amounts of pain. Getting through one day at a time and never giving up is fairly central to my purpose. I can't help anyone if I'm curled up in a corner feeling sorry for myself, can I?
"No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy." (Melamphoros)
AKA Thundercougarfalconbird..... (Thanks Nyktipolos!)

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
KOS: 6. Purpose and Point
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 03:48:22 am »

This is a really difficult question that I think about often. Purpose is 'the big one' for me. To some extent, my life so far has been about the search for it. ("I'm gonna find my purpose - I'm gonna find me!" - Avenue Q :D:)

In my bones, at the core of myself, I feel that my purpose is to teach. That probably sounds really 'up myself', but hey ho... Sometimes that involves literal teaching, which I had a short career in, and which I still do, now and then. Mostly it's more metaphorical. I'm here to teach people that some of us live between chaos and order (and I have a goddess who affirms that as a big part of my purpose, in my UPG). I'm here to teach people about disability, as trite as that sounds - right now I do that through my PhD research, and sharing that in various ways, but I've done it through writing, campaigning, just being myself around people*, and blocking the road outside Downing Street in my wheelchair (that one was so much fun even if it did only last for five minutes). I teach semi-informally too, volunteering to help at homework clubs with local kids who have nowhere to work and need help and encouragement (I need to start doing that again), and other things along those lines. And my podcast involves a lot of educating.

Talking of which... I think my other purpose is to help people share their stories. It's been a long road, finding that out. Now that I've realised it, I need to decide how I can best accomplish it. Do I need to take storytelling classes (rubbish as I am at actual storytelling)? Do I need to think about how I can use my training as a researcher to tell people's stories in innovative ways? I'm not sure yet, but the podcast is part of this, and so is my current research, and there will be more things.

There are other things that form part of my purpose, including being a good partner (even when I feel I'm not), and making sure my cats are happy and healthy, and getting out of bed even on the days when (for various reasons) I would really very much rather not. But those two 'bigger' purposes are sort of key.

Hope that made some kind of sense.

*SJ may be my greatest success here! They were always in favour of equality, but they didn't know much about disability until they met me. They're now working towards becoming a disability rights lawyer. Job done.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Emerald

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 01:48:36 am »

I don't know what my purposes are. I've been trying to answer this question since I put this post up.

I want to help people. I want to make the world a better place. I don't know how, and I'm legally blind so that limits me in what I can do.

Purpose is what motivates us to do more than what *has* to be done. Maybe we find our own purpose. Certainly nobody is just going to give me a purpose, and if they did it'd probably be the wrong one anyway.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 03:13:58 pm »

Honestly, I've been struggling with this one.  I sometimes think my purpose is to teach and/or help others...but then I remember that I am a recovering quackeroo and I impose help when it isn't wanted/needed.  

So...I have no idea, really.  With FK specifically, I think my purpose is to encourage people with their Dark Flame work but outside of that?  No idea.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Tags: