Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Steps of a Basic Ritual  (Read 1652 times)

Systematic

• View Profile
Steps of a Basic Ritual
« on: August 29, 2013, 03:49:50 pm »
So I'm still new to the idea of performing rituals. I have done tarot and basic rune divination but as far as rituals are concerned, I've never done anything other than sage-smudging my house. What exactly goes into a basic ritual at ones altar?

Materialist

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Steps of a Basic Ritual
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 08:30:03 pm »
Quote from: Systematic;120431
What exactly goes into a basic ritual at ones altar?

My religion uses a bare patch of ground, a rock with cup marks, or a body of water as an altar. The steps leading up to consecrating the area can be a bit tedious, so I'll skip to after all that. First there is several minutes of meditating to fully concentrate on, and understand, what I'm about to do, while wearing pandara (head covering) and upavita (very long cord of beads around shoulder) to show that I'm in ritual mode.

That being finished, there's an introductory piece explaining what the ritual's for and typically there follows a crap load of pinda (food) and arghya (water) offerings to however many beings are involved while reciting mantras (ritual phrases) to ensure the success of the offering.

Completing all that, the sacred fire gets what's left and then I can go home and eat because I've been uposita (fasting) for half a day. But that's just me. I'm sure other people's religions are a lot less involved than mine.

Elizabeth G.

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 09:18:58 pm »
So I'm still new to the idea of performing rituals. I have done tarot and basic rune divination but as far as rituals are concerned, I've never done anything other than sage-smudging my house. What exactly goes into a basic ritual at ones altar?

Personal preparation - may include meditation and/or ritual bath
Cleanse your space/cast circle
Invoke deities, if any
Give thanks/ask for what you need
Offerings
Close circle

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 02:05:46 pm »

It depends on the path you follow, honestly - there is no set ritual that applies to all pagans, let alone to everyone who uses an altar.

What are you looking to do at/with your altar?
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Systematic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 10:26:25 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;120845
It depends on the path you follow, honestly - there is no set ritual that applies to all pagans, let alone to everyone who uses an altar.

What are you looking to do at/with your altar?

I plan on using my altar for all of my magical workings. Divination, casting spells, and basic offerings to my deities.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 10:17:45 am »
Quote from: Systematic;120874
I plan on using my altar for all of my magical workings. Divination, casting spells, and basic offerings to my deities.

Okay.  I see that you are a Norse pagan.  I know very little about Norse practices; if you're looking for something in line with that, you might want to check out the Asatru & Heathenry SIG to see if anyone has advice.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Ravyn

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 11:36:13 am »
Quote from: Systematic;120874

without knowing more specifics on your practice (i think someone noted you are Norse?) i would say in very, very general terms many working altars have a representation of Deity: if you have one Matron and/or Patron you always work with, or that that altar is dedicated to, then do for that... statues, framed drawings, ...whatever.  i think i know a Heathen who uses a bit of antler (or maybe it's now become a bone-handled hunting knife) and a carved spoon as his God/Dess representations.

an offering plate, bowl, dish or rock that can be removed and cleaned easily is also good ...perhaps something fireproof if you want to be able to burn small offerings, incense or burn paper/whatever during spellwork.  (note the location of windows and smoke detectors)

Maybe a sturdy cloth that can removed and cleaned easily - this might go over a more decorative cloth you change out with seasons or for holidays?  And any other decorations that are meaningful to you and that you feel help you step into ritual mindset.

and then.... a box, basket, shelf, cabinet or drawer (or two) with any tools you need or use in your tradition that can be kept close at hand - lighters/matches, string, paper, pens, cloth, herbs? incense, charcoal, incense/charcoal burners, extra altar cloths, if you are Norse, maybe your goblet or drinking horn and a bottle or two of mead for toasts or devotions (if you do that in your practice).

A lot of it depends on your ritual style and how simple or complicated you are drawn to being with your work.

Tags: