collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: In need of major help! Identify this goddess?  (Read 2486 times)

Edeline

• View Profile
In need of major help! Identify this goddess?
« on: August 19, 2013, 06:55:41 pm »
Okay, so I know I haven’t done an intro post as yet (which is terribly bad forum etiquette and I do apologise…I will get around to it!) but I am absolutely tearing my hair out trying to identify a goddess who has made herself known to me and I need some help from my fellow pagans!  This is what I know about her for certain…  

She has bright, coppery red hair.  I couldn’t see her, but I had a very strong impression of red hair.
She has a high, clear voice with a strong Irish accent - weirdly enough, though, not a true Irish accent as I might expect if it was a Celtic deity, but rather an Irish/American one, as though she was Irish but had lived in the states for a while, if you know what I mean?
She came to me at the dawn on a sunny spring morning, and I had a strong impression that the morning light was ‘her’ time.
She sounded to be of a similar age to me…perhaps only a little older (I’m 27), but she was very warm, very maternal, and more than a little amused at my amazement.  The only way that I could describe my impression of her is to say that she seemed to be both Sister and Mother, if that makes sense?

These are clues that I believe she has sent, although I could be wrong…

Possible rabbit/hare connection?
Association with the colour green?
Possible triple aspect combined with an association with a sacrificial king?

Honestly, I’m drawing a blank here.  It all just seems a bit vague.  At first I thought that it might be Brighid, Brigantia, or possibly Andraste, but when I asked her directly all I got was an amused silence.  Does any of this ring a bell for anyone?  I feel as though I need to identify her.  Its like she’s so close, but always just out of my reach, and I feel as though it’s a stumbling block in the way of me beginning any real relationship with her.  And I also think that she really wants me to find out who she is…she’s just not prepared to help me, lol!  I feel like I've failed her by not figuring it out yet.
There may be faeries.
There may be elves.
But the Gods help those who help themselves.

Ariadne

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: In need of major help! Identify this goddess?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 08:15:14 am »
Quote from: Edeline;119322
I feel like I've failed her by not figuring it out yet.

I would say that she's Brighid; I'm not that familiar with her, but from what I've read, all that you described strongly reminds me of her. The fact that you asked her but she didn't reply shouldn't upset you, and you definately shouldn't feel like you've failed her. Maybe she wants to give you some time. If I were you, I'd keep my eyes open for omens and signs that might be associated with her. And I would ask her again to reveal herself, or at least give me a sign/hint.

Also, have you tried any divination methods? Tarot works well, and there's this spread called «Deity identification spread». I haven't tried it yet, but from what I've heard it works well.
I'm sorry I can't help you more, but as I said, I'm not that familiar with the Celtic Pantheon and these deities. I hope you'll find your answers.
ἅ, γιὰ νὰ γεννηθεῖς ἐσὺ
κι ἐγὼ γιὰ νὰ σὲ συναντήσω
γὶ αὐτὸ ἔγινε ὁ κόσμος

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 09:09:43 am »
Quote from: Ariadne;119526
I would say that she's Brighid; I'm not that familiar with her, but from what I've read, all that you described strongly reminds me of her.

While this certainly could be Brighid, I wouldn't say it's a sure thing.  In my experience (I've been dedicated to Brighid for a number of years now), physical traits aren't necessarily definitive.  She can -- and does -- take on different appearances (or no appearance at all) at will.  Your description could fit Her, though.

Her personality traits do sound like aspects of Brighid, although a bit more limited than I usually experience with Her.  F'ex, while morning sunlight could well be considered "Her time", I'd say any kind of sunlight is Her time, considering that She's a solar deity.  Also, I don't know of any particular hare or rabbit associations for Brighid -- which doesn't mean there aren't any, of course.  

And there are some pretty major things missing from your description.  Brighid is extremely closely associated with fire, as well as with fresh water (particularly wells and streams), and is widely believed to be strongly linked to healing, smithcraft, and poetry/learning. She's also often considered to be associated with social justice. If it was Brighid, and She wanted you to figure out who She is, I'd expect at least one or two of those connections to be communicated.

It also seems (to me) a bit uncharacteristic that She wouldn't answer you when you asked if She is Brighid.  Obviously, it's possible --goddesses can do whatever They want.  She's usually pretty straightforward, though.

Anyway, divination is probably worth a try.  If it were me, I'd look into other Irish goddesses, too.

YMMV, of course.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Materialist

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 02:05:49 pm »
I am absolutely tearing my hair out trying to identify a goddess who has made herself known to me and I need some help from my fellow pagans!  This is what I know about her for certain…  

Could be totally new goddess. A dawn goddess, goddess of vegetation.  Type of sun goddess as restorer of plant life after winter. Andraste was a war goddess, Brigantia was the chief goddess of the Brigantes tribe. I'm thinking more Eostre, but that's just the Anglo-Saxon version of the Proto-Indo-European dawn goddess (Xausos).

Fionnbharr

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 05:32:28 am »
She has bright, coppery red hair. I couldn’t see her, but I had a very strong impression of red hair.

Possible rabbit/hare connection?.

The first Goddess that "came to me" had red hair and a strong association with rabbits. I called her Anna. I have also from others heard the name(s) Annabell or Annabelle.
Grief and sorrow grows on the far banks of the river Styx, go there and visit them and you might not find your own way back home. - Achilles

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 05:35:23 am »
Quote from: Fionnbharr;119651
The first Goddess that "came to me" had red hair and a strong association with rabbits. I called her Anna. I have also from others heard the name(s) Annabell or Annabelle.

Any connection to Anu?

Gilbride

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 08:08:13 am »
Possible rabbit/hare connection? Association with the colour green? Possible triple aspect combined with an association with a sacrificial king?

Rabbits burrow underground, so they could be seen as a cthonic symbol. Green is a fairy color. Red hair in Gaelic lore is actually quite ominous and "witchy." I'm thinking this goddess is a fairy queen. When you add in the sacrificial king aspect and a name that sounds something like "Annie," I would narrow it down to Aine of Munster.

Aine's name is pronounced something like "an-ya." She killed the king Aillil Olom by biting his ear off, and is associated with the fairy hill of Cnoc Aine. Her holiday is midsummer. She's also associated with healing herbs and with the "vital spark" of life.

Fionnbharr

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 01:39:26 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;119652
Any connection to Anu?

So I looked a little around and Anu confuses me, because there seem to be many different connections to who she is. So to answer your question I have to first ask who you believe Anu is?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 01:40:16 pm by Fionnbharr »
Grief and sorrow grows on the far banks of the river Styx, go there and visit them and you might not find your own way back home. - Achilles

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 02:23:58 pm »
Quote from: Fionnbharr;119684
So I looked a little around and Anu confuses me, because there seem to be many different connections to who she is. So to answer your question I have to first ask who you believe Anu is?

I don't have a connection to Anu, so I can't really answer that question.  I know that the lore around Her is confusing -- but that's true of many Celtic deities.  I only mentioned Her because of the similarity of Her name.

Fionnbharr

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 03:03:44 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;119691
I don't have a connection to Anu, so I can't really answer that question.  I know that the lore around Her is confusing -- but that's true of many Celtic deities.  I only mentioned Her because of the similarity of Her name.

If I am understanding her right she says that she is neither Danu nor Morrigan. I found this link interesting: Ana; though it does not say much indeed, if anything really. The thing I find interesting is the words: the abundant one. Anna as I see her is very much associated with water/fertility, the passing of the old (to make room for the new) and dawn seems to be her favorite part of the day - a Goddess of prosperous beginnings.

To be honest I am not sure if there is anything left of her in writing from ages long past. She says something about many things were lost when the oral tradition faded away and the written one took over.

Possible triple aspect combined with an association with a sacrificial king?

I wonder if the sacrificial king is Pwyll?

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 03:50:32 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;119691

For the life of me I can't remember where I read it, but I think Anu could be one of the many faces of the Morrigan (the more common names being Babd, Macha, and Nemain, but the third 'sister' can get swapped out a lot). But yes, Celtic deities really do like their fluid identity. :)
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 04:41:51 pm »
Quote from: Sage;119696
For the life of me I can't remember where I read it, but I think Anu could be one of the many faces of the Morrigan (the more common names being Babd, Macha, and Nemain, but the third 'sister' can get swapped out a lot). But yes, Celtic deities really do like their fluid identity. :)

Mary Jones writes about the possible link there. Monaghan's 'Encyclopedia of Celtic Mythology and Folkore' also links Morrigan's hills in Co. Meath with what she calls "the similarly shaped hills devoted to the earth goddess of the province of Munster, Danu" - although this is an error, as she's referring to the Paps of Anu in Munster, and not everyone assumes that Anu and Danu are the same figure.

Off-topic: the Paps of Anu are a wonderful place, and worth a visit!
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Edeline

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 07:01:04 pm »
- duplicate post...sorry guys -
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 07:06:44 pm by Edeline »
There may be faeries.
There may be elves.

Edeline

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 07:04:46 pm »
Quote from: Gilbride;119659
Rabbits burrow underground, so they could be seen as a cthonic symbol. Green is a fairy color. Red hair in Gaelic lore is actually quite ominous and "witchy." I'm thinking this goddess is a fairy queen. When you add in the sacrificial king aspect and a name that sounds something like "Annie," I would narrow it down to Aine of Munster.

Aine's name is pronounced something like "an-ya." She killed the king Aillil Olom by biting his ear off, and is associated with the fairy hill of Cnoc Aine. Her holiday is midsummer. She's also associated with healing herbs and with the "vital spark" of life.

That’s her!  That’s her, I’m absolutely sure of it!  I can’t believe it!  

Wow, thank you so, so much!  She’s a goddess that I have occasionally seen mentioned, but frankly, as soon as I saw her described as a ‘fairy queen’, I sort of dismissed her.  But reading up on her, she just fits everything that I know about my Red-Haired Lady…there were things that I saw in dreams that seemed contradictory, or too unimportant to mention, but now I can see how they all fit together.  Obviously I’m going to need to get a yay or nay from Herself before I start getting too ahead of myself, but this is wonderful!  It feels right this time.  Really, thanks so much for your help.  I can’t tell you how happy I am!  

:D: <---- me, right now

Quote from: Ariadne;119526
I would say that she's Brighid; I'm not that familiar with her, but from what I've read, all that you described strongly reminds me of her. The fact that you asked her but she didn't reply shouldn't upset you, and you definately shouldn't feel like you've failed her. Maybe she wants to give you some time. If I were you, I'd keep my eyes open for omens and signs that might be associated with her. And I would ask her again to reveal herself, or at least give me a sign/hint.

Also, have you tried any divination methods? Tarot works well, and there's this spread called «Deity identification spread». I haven't tried it yet, but from what I've heard it works well.
I'm sorry I can't help you more, but as I said, I'm not that familiar with the Celtic Pantheon and these deities. I hope you'll find your answers.

Thanks for this link - the divination method was a great tool.  I tried it honestly expecting to see signs that my Lady was Brighid, and when the cards told a different story, I assumed that it hadn’t worked.  Now that I have found Aine, however, the cards that I drew made perfect sense.  It’s definitely a method that I will use in the future.
There may be faeries.
There may be elves.

Ariadne

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 08:01:54 pm »
Quote from: Edeline;119721
 :D: <---- me, right now

No problem, I'm really glad it worked and you found the right one!
ἅ, γιὰ νὰ γεννηθεῖς ἐσὺ
κι ἐγὼ γιὰ νὰ σὲ συναντήσω
γὶ αὐτὸ ἔγινε ὁ κόσμος

Tags: