Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Looking for some stories of "first times" concerning ritual magick  (Read 3755 times)

Sulischild

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sulischild.blogspot.com.au/
Re: Looking for some stories of "first times" concerning ritual magick
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2013, 10:40:45 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;120460
I'm sure I said something dumbassedly profound, like, "Look, Moon, this is my knife."

I just love this.  (And may have splorted some beverage when I read it, but that's my own fault.)  I actually think this kind of approach has a lot of merit, because sometimes the more words and flowery language we dress things up with, the less it means.  (YMMV, of course - I'm a former academic, former journalist, and sort-of writer, so I tend to fluff around with words a lot more than the situation actually calls for sometimes)

It's no surprise I have a history of ritual balls-ups, because I have a history of balls-ups in my life in general.  But I think my 'favourite' was when I burnt something in a metal goblet, then a few moments later picked the goblet up.  By the bowl.  Not realising it might be a bit warm.  Being, you know, METAL, and having JUST HAD A FIRE IN IT.

No, I didn't bother cutting a hole in the circle as I dropped the goblet (scattering smouldering ashes all over a rental house carpet) and sprinted for the nearest tap...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 10:41:33 am by Sulischild »

Vale

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2013, 06:33:41 pm »
Quote from: Carla;119252

I would love to hear some anecdotes on everyone's first attempts at completing a ritual.  : )

You don't need to be a newbie either for some spectacular "fails".

I was just setting up a ritual space outside  but I'd failed to take into account the fairly new cat! He'd always  been shut out of ritual space indoors but he was out and about... Well he is very much "my" cat and when he saw me in the garden he had to come and see what I was up to.

As soon as I lit a candle he was investigating it closely. He almost set fire to his whiskers and his tail was dangerously close other candles at times. I was trying to simultaneously shoo him away, light candles and continue my invocations. I failed completely and collapsed in a fit of giggles.  I knew when I was beaten and just closed everything down.

He's now a lot better trained but  I make sure he is well out of the way.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 06:35:09 pm by Vale »

Aubrey_Rose

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2013, 07:39:46 pm »

I would love to hear some anecdotes on everyone's first attempts at completing a ritual.  : )

Oh man, I must've been like twelve. I think I lit some incense and candles and tried to call on the Gods. My incense did some swoopy circles and I was pretty stoked. Though, I am fairly certain it was the wind. ;)

I was obviously to young to be trying to learn these things on my own. Luckily over the next 10 years I have figured it out and had some pretty awesome rituals since.
If we all lived a little greener, Then perhaps our children\'s children will live a little longer.
--Rose

incendium

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2013, 08:11:02 pm »
I was just a fresh onto religion young lady when I was 12. That was the age where I had my first ritual done. I had bought some altar items in the past and decided to shove it all onto a realitis in my closet, which had enough space mind you. Next was, I did a standard ritual that a horrid book gave me, and it worked out enough that they responded to me kindly. I STILL love the gods to this day, no matter how much they had seemed inactive to my life as my confusion.

Caffeinated Autumn

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2014, 11:51:29 pm »

I recently celebrated the Blood Moon and I was amazed by the end of the ritual. I found an Esbat ritual online and decided to use it.

Most of my other rituals have been quick paced and short. I would usually call the the elements, make a circle, all that other stuff. So this was the first time I actually took the time and effort into a ritual.

I had my hands raised in the direction of the moon welcoming the Goddess when I felt a surge go through my fingers on both hands. It didn't hurt or anything but I was delighted to be honest and it was about a minute or so before it stopped. It wasn't until I re-read the ritual that it was a way of the Goddess making her presence known! I've decided to take more time in preparing my rituals from now on.

Another weird thing occurred when I went to sleep that night. I had a dream that I had a bloody nose. The next morning when playing with my dog, she got too excited and when I bent down to kiss he, BUMP! right in the nose. It didn't bleed heavily but still. I don't know if that was a coincidence or what but yeah..
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 11:55:55 pm by Caffeinated Autumn »

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2014, 01:05:15 am »

On a now-defunct occult forum, somebody's signature read--

35 Rules of Magic(k):
1. Ignore rules 2-34
35. Do the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram more. It's never enough.
:p

So... I dabbled, in ritual magic, LBRP, except that I was of the mindset then that it was all energyworking and the waving arms and shouting magic words thing was just a way to reinforce the flow of energy that had a better flow of expression than simply thinking "protective bubble".

So, I made a protective bubble or what I felt was one that was dome-shaped around me. I thought, Okay! Now protected, now I will begin walking...

Aaand, I felt like I left the bubble behind even though I expected it to follow me like I was "wearing" it. I guess that it was anchored more to the space than to my own self's body?
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Tags: