Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Tech: Setting up a blog  (Read 4606 times)

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
Setting up a blog
« on: August 16, 2013, 06:15:51 pm »
Hi all,

As the title suggests, I'm thinking about setting up a blog. The problem is that I'm not very computer literate and I have no idea how best to go about this.

I know that lots of people here have blogs so I was hoping you could give me some tips. I had heard that Wordpress was good but it looks as though I need a web host for that. I'm not really sure what that is or how to tell a good one from a bad one.

I'd appreciate any advice at all. I barely even know enough to know what questions to ask lol.

Thanks,
Rocquelaire
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 05:54:38 pm by RandallS »

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
Setting up a blog
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 06:34:16 pm »
Quote from: rocquelaire;119131
Hi all,

As the title suggests, I'm thinking about setting up a blog. The problem is that I'm not very computer literate and I have no idea how best to go about this.

I know that lots of people here have blogs so I was hoping you could give me some tips. I had heard that Wordpress was good but it looks as though I need a web host for that. I'm not really sure what that is or how to tell a good one from a bad one.

I'd appreciate any advice at all. I barely even know enough to know what questions to ask lol.

Thanks,
Rocquelaire

You can go to wordpress.com and sign up for a free blog, you don't need hosting or a domain name. It's pretty straightforward; you don't have to mess with any of the fancy settings if you don't want to.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Setting up a blog
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 06:37:39 pm »

If you don't want to bother with your own web hosting, either blogger.com or wordpress.com are set up to provide free blog hosting. ToS-wise Wordpress.com is more restrictive than blogger.com. Note wordpress.com provides free wordpress blogs while wordpress.org provides the wordpress software to run on your own server.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 11:24:02 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;119136
If you don't want to bother with your own web hosting, either blogger.com or wordpress.com are set up to provide free blog hosting. ToS-wise Wordpress.com is more restrictive than blogger.com. Note wordpress.com provides free wordpress blogs while wordpress.org provides the wordpress software to run on your own server.

What Randall said.

One of the nice things about going with Wordpress.com is that if you decide down the road you want to switch to self-hosting (for more options and tools), it's really easy to port everything over. (And there are a number of web hosts who will also make it quite easy.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
Setting up a blog
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 02:32:41 am »
Hi all,

Thanks,
Rocquelaire

If you're a beginner, I think blogger is easier to use than WordPress. Blogger sort of walks you through the setup, if I remember correctly.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Sulischild

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sulischild.blogspot.com.au/
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 05:41:49 am »
Quote from: Naomi J;119152
If you're a beginner, I think blogger is easier to use than WordPress. Blogger sort of walks you through the setup, if I remember correctly.

I'm a Blogger girl, just because that's what I started with years ago.  It's good for beginners in that you can start with a free blablabla.blogspot.com address and an off-the-peg template, then later move on to customising how it looks and getting a proper domain name if and when you're ready.  I'm at the stage now where I'm starting to find there are things Blogger can't do for me, but I'm trying to do fairly complicated stuff to do with e-commerce and the like.  

I tried Wordpress briefly and didn't like it at all, but can't remember now what the problem was.   Given that platform's massive popularity, I think it's fair to say it was me, not them!

The biggest problem with starting a blog today is finding an address that's available!  I get quite cross when I think of a url I really, really want, and find that it's held by some joker who made one post in 2004 and then forgot about it. :)

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
Setting up a blog
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 05:48:08 am »
Quote from: RandallS;119136

Thanks Randall, this is where I got confused. When I searched for Wordpress I ended up at .org instead of .com.

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
Setting up a blog
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 05:54:12 am »
Quote from: Naomi J;119152

I'll probably have a look over Blogger and Wordpress and try to figure out which one suits me best.

At the moment I'm thinking about blogging about ADF dedicant stuff and maybe doing the Pagan Blog Project next year but having not done anything like this before I can't be sure that I'll stick with it lol. Probably means I should go with the simplest thing just now.

Thanks to everyone for your responses :).

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 07:58:41 am »
Quote from: Jenett;119146
What Randall said.

One of the nice things about going with Wordpress.com is that if you decide down the road you want to switch to self-hosting (for more options and tools), it's really easy to port everything over. (And there are a number of web hosts who will also make it quite easy.)

It's fairly easy to import a blogger.com blog into self-hosted wordpress as well. I'm not sure about going from wordpress (either self-hosted or wordpress.com) to blogger, but I suspect it is at least possible.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
Setting up a blog
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 11:14:18 am »
Quote from: rocquelaire;119162
I'll probably have a look over Blogger and Wordpress and try to figure out which one suits me best.

At the moment I'm thinking about blogging about ADF dedicant stuff and maybe doing the Pagan Blog Project next year but having not done anything like this before I can't be sure that I'll stick with it lol. Probably means I should go with the simplest thing just now.

Thanks to everyone for your responses :).

Well, I'm all set up on Wordpress. I went with the .com version for the moment

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
Setting up a blog
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 02:44:36 pm »
Quote from: rocquelaire;119169

Congrats! You don't have to wait until next year to do the PBP, you can dive in now and see how you like it.

(Or maybe wait until R, Q is a hard letter to start on. XD)
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
Setting up a blog
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 06:05:47 pm »
Quote from: Jack;119173
Congrats! You don't have to wait until next year to do the PBP, you can dive in now and see how you like it.

(Or maybe wait until R, Q is a hard letter to start on. XD)

Lol Q is indeed a hard letter to start on. I might start on R but I know I'm going to be pretty busy shortly when my baby puts in an appearance so chances are I would fall behind very quickly.

Maybe I'll do something along those lines without jumping all the way in.

(Edited because I accidentally hit submit in the middle of a sentence. Oops!)

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Setting up a blog
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 03:52:36 pm »
Quote from: rocquelaire;119169

I'm on WordPress too (and a beginner blogger) and found it pretty easy to figure out.  What I have trouble with is, well, the blogging part.  I've never been a diary-writer or journaler.

I did ok at first, but got busy with something and fell away from it for a while, and I'm finding it especially hard to get back to it.  I haven't posted anything for a couple of months.

I think my biggest problem is not feeling like I have anything particularly interesting to say. I tried the Pagan Blog Project, but had the same trouble.  I guess my brain just doesn't work that way.  I'm a very good technical writer, but haven't been able to do the research to support that kind of writing since my brain injury.  Creative writing escapes me.

I'm really impressed that you're starting a blog with a baby on the way so soon!  I hope it will provide you with an outlet in the midst of all the chaos an infant brings.  Good luck!
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
Setting up a blog
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 03:34:39 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;119309
I think my biggest problem is not feeling like I have anything particularly interesting to say. I tried the Pagan Blog Project, but had the same trouble.  I guess my brain just doesn't work that way.  I'm a very good technical writer, but haven't been able to do the research to support that kind of writing since my brain injury.  Creative writing escapes me.

Well I always find what you say here to be very interesting and informative so I'm sure that your blog would be the same. And I would definitely read it ;)

I'm really impressed that you're starting a blog with a baby on the way so soon!  I hope it will provide you with an outlet in the midst of all the chaos an infant brings.  Good luck!

Thanks :D. I think it's the baby coming that has provided the catalyst for change of where I'm at just now. I'm hoping to use the blog to work through my ideas around how all of my recent interests are coming together to give a picture of a whole lifestyle and how that ties into my religion/ spirituality. And maybe it'll inspire some other people to looking at making positive changes in their own lives.

If anyone is interested it's at:
rocquelaire.wordpress.com.

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 04:08:13 am »
Quote from: rocquelaire;119514

rocquelaire.wordpress.com.

Congrats and welcome to the WP-community. ;)
I am quite a fan of Wordpress and have tried the .com as the .org versions - both are pretty neat.
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

Tags: