Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Tech: How do I view runes? (Unicode)  (Read 10736 times)

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
How do I view runes? (Unicode)
« on: August 01, 2011, 10:15:54 pm »
So while I'm trying to do research on the futhorc, I'm running across a pretty big problem: I can't view the runes when it's written in unicode, rather than just an image file. I'm trying to find a website or something that will let me download them and then be able to view it online, if that makes more sense.

For example, if one looks at this Wikipedia page the table gives us the rune in unicode in the second column. I, however, just see a box.

Is there anything I can do it rectify this? (For what it's worth, I am on a Vista OS at the moment. From what I understand, if I had Win 7, I could view them fine. Blast you, Vista! :P)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 05:55:00 pm by RandallS »
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 10:32:54 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;10085
So while I'm trying to do research on the futhorc, I'm running across a pretty big problem: I can't view the runes when it's written in unicode, rather than just an image file. I'm trying to find a website or something that will let me download them and then be able to view it online, if that makes more sense.

For example, if one looks at this Wikipedia page the table gives us the rune in unicode in the second column. I, however, just see a box.

Is there anything I can do it rectify this? (For what it's worth, I am on a Vista OS at the moment. From what I understand, if I had Win 7, I could view them fine. Blast you, Vista! :P)

If you have access to a really old, outdated browser, that might work :-P.

Lemme guess - you got curious about Guido von List, and fell into a runic Wikihole?

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 10:37:43 pm »

More seriously... if you can see them in the first column, you've seen them; the Unicode ones aren't significantly different.  Or am I missing something about what you want to do?

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: How do I view runes? (Unicode)
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 10:44:09 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;10091
If you have access to a really old, outdated browser, that might work :-P.

Lemme guess - you got curious about Guido von List, and fell into a runic Wikihole?

Sunflower

I'm using Chrome, so I'm going to say no (hopefully?) to the first bit.

The second one... well NOW I probably am! :P /goes off to look/
On the Rivers

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 10:47:12 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;10094
More seriously... if you can see them in the first column, you've seen them; the Unicode ones aren't significantly different.  Or am I missing something about what you want to do?

Sunflower

I figured as much. It just bothers me that it's something I can't see. :P It's also a bit confusing when (using the Wikipedia page again as an example) it's talking about splitting up one rune into three due to dialect issues. But.. I can't figure out exactly what rune it's discussing, at least at first. I feel like I'm missing part of the argument.
On the Rivers

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 05:14:43 am »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;10097
The second one... well NOW I probably am! :P /goes off to look/

He was mentioned in that interview with the guy who's head of the Asatruar in Iceland - I know you read that, so when I saw you were looking at the same Wikipedia stuff I'd been looking at a half-hour earlier, I wondered if you'd got to it the same way I did.

Sunflower

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 05:30:16 am »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;10100
I figured as much. It just bothers me that it's something I can't see. :P It's also a bit confusing when (using the Wikipedia page again as an example) it's talking about splitting up one rune into three due to dialect issues. But.. I can't figure out exactly what rune it's discussing, at least at first. I feel like I'm missing part of the argument.

Oh, I think I see the problem:  it's not the tables, it's the places where they appear in the text.  Yeah, that could get to be a PITA if they're just using the Unicode renditions for their referents.  It's a bit easier if they at least have the name of the rune as well; you'd still be going back and forth between whatever you're reading and a table (until you got familiar with which name went with which shape - good practice, if you're inclined to study it at all deeply) but you'd at least have a way to do so.

I whiff some geekfail here - I suspect on the Vista side, because my antiquated software isn't having trouble with it, and I don't recall having problems like that back when I was still with my ex-hubby and using his WinXP box (though that's five years back so I could be mistaken).

I'm afraid I'm not enough of a geek about 'puter stuff to have any useful suggestions for you, though - I can say, "maybe there's something you can DL" but I don't know what or where or even if Unicode works quite like that.

Sunflower

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 06:21:58 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;10752
He was mentioned in that interview with the guy who's head of the Asatruar in Iceland - I know you read that, so when I saw you were looking at the same Wikipedia stuff I'd been looking at a half-hour earlier, I wondered if you'd got to it the same way I did.

Sunflower

!!!

Now I know why the name sounds so damned familiar, at least. :) But no, that's not why I went a-hunting originally.

/goes to re-read the article again to gauge his reaction/
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 06:22:12 am by Nyktipolos »
On the Rivers

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 06:30:05 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;10753
Oh, I think I see the problem:  it's not the tables, it's the places where they appear in the text.  Yeah, that could get to be a PITA if they're just using the Unicode renditions for their referents.  It's a bit easier if they at least have the name of the rune as well; you'd still be going back and forth between whatever you're reading and a table (until you got familiar with which name went with which shape - good practice, if you're inclined to study it at all deeply) but you'd at least have a way to do so.

Yeah, that's my problem. I just used the tables as an example to point out without any confusion what I was referencing. (Rather than "Those symbols in that paragraph there that I can't really see!" :P)

You're right though, that it's helping me look more closely at learning the runes, specifically the Anglo-Saxon set. Which is... complicated, to say the least. :) I believe more than once in chat I have grumbled out loud. Heh.

I whiff some geekfail here - I suspect on the Vista side, because my antiquated software isn't having trouble with it, and I don't recall having problems like that back when I was still with my ex-hubby and using his WinXP box (though that's five years back so I could be mistaken).

That's what I'm thinking too. Or, the OS was just installed funny (the laptop I am currently using has been reformatted more than once, and not always done... correctly), or some sort of language pack was not put on. I'll have to see if I can steal a laptop with another OS (like Win 7) see if what I read was true.

I'm afraid I'm not enough of a geek about 'puter stuff to have any useful suggestions for you, though - I can say, "maybe there's something you can DL" but I don't know what or where or even if Unicode works quite like that.

Sunflower

Thank you for replying, though. I appreciate your help! :D

I have no idea if Unicode works like that either. I'll keep poking Google until it gives me an answer, however. :)
On the Rivers

EJay

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 04:10:11 am »

You piqued my curiosity and this is what I found:  this is one instance where you can't blame Vista because 7 won't see the unicode either....using Chrome.

This is a Chrome issue--Explorer and Firefox have no problems.

Best~
EJay
If you understand, things are just as they are.  If you do not understand, things are just as they are.

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 04:13:46 am »
Quote from: EJay;11094
You piqued my curiosity and this is what I found:  this is one instance where you can't blame Vista because 7 won't see the unicode either....using Chrome.

This is a Chrome issue--Explorer and Firefox have no problems.

Best~
EJay

I booted up IE and I still can't see it. Although I don't doubt that Chrome may not be able to view it anyways.

Oh internets.

Thanks for your help, EJay. :)
On the Rivers

EJay

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 04:39:39 am »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;11096
I booted up IE and I still can't see it. Although I don't doubt that Chrome may not be able to view it anyways.

Oh internets.

Thanks for your help, EJay. :)

Hmmm.... do you have the latest version of IE?  Did you try Firefox?

And I don't doubt that it could be Vista, also....  my advice to you would be to buy 7.  I bought a used computer with Vista on it for my son and the first thing I did was get the full version of 7 and it works great.

Serious, get rid of Vista if you can.  And my personal recommendation is to get the full version, not the upgrade.  Reformat your drive and start completely fresh.  Download the newest drivers for your machine and put Vista to rest.  I said "serious" once.  I'll say it again.

Serious.  Get rid of Vista.

Best~
EJay
If you understand, things are just as they are.  If you do not understand, things are just as they are.

Inca

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 04:58:47 am »

I couldn't see it either, and it is not the unicode itself that seems to be the problem, but the lack of support of runes in normal fonts. I installed http://babelfonts.blogspot.com/2009/01/babelstone-moon-runes.html (installing = copying to c:\windows\fonts , doubleclicking to make sure it is loaded).

Then I set in my browser my default fonts for pages to Babelstone (which leaves your pages horribly ugly) and when I reset it back to normal (Microsoft Sans Serif in my case, chose what you want) it retained the runes.

Now only to fix the fact that I don't like that way of displaying runes, but we'll work on that :)

A bit more on this: http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/runic.html

I am running XP + Firefox.

Inca

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 05:03:46 am »
Quote from: Inca;11648

Better explanation, better fonts:
http://www.personal.psu.edu/ejp10/blogs/gotunicode/charts/runes.html

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 06:46:59 pm »
Quote from: EJay;11647
Serious.  Get rid of Vista.

I tried both FF and IE: no dice.

I'd get rid of XP on this thing if it wasn't a laptop. :P But alas, I am pretty sure I can't replace it on here. Don't worry, when I get my new laptop it will DEFINITELY be Win 7! :)
On the Rivers

Tags: