+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Grand Master Member
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupThree FriendsTagger First Class5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Nyktipolos is a name known to all Nyktipolos is a name known to all Nyktipolos is a name known to all Nyktipolos is a name known to all Nyktipolos is a name known to all Nyktipolos is a name known to all Nyktipolos's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:31 PM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Eclectic polytheism
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

Re: How do I view runes? (Unicode)

Quote Originally Posted by EJay View Post
    You piqued my curiosity and this is what I found: this is one instance where you can't blame Vista because 7 won't see the unicode either....using Chrome.

This is a Chrome issue--Explorer and Firefox have no problems.

Best~
    EJay
    I booted up IE and I still can't see it. Although I don't doubt that Chrome may not be able to view it anyways.

Oh internets.

Thanks for your help, EJay.
    "Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
    I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
    On the Rivers

Journeyman Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    EJay is on a distinguished road EJay's Avatar
    Last Online
    27 Nov 2013 @ 01:59 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Panentheism

Quote Originally Posted by Nyktipolos View Post
    I booted up IE and I still can't see it. Although I don't doubt that Chrome may not be able to view it anyways.

Oh internets.

Thanks for your help, EJay.
    Hmmm.... do you have the latest version of IE? Did you try Firefox?

And I don't doubt that it could be Vista, also.... my advice to you would be to buy 7. I bought a used computer with Vista on it for my son and the first thing I did was get the full version of 7 and it works great.

Serious, get rid of Vista if you can. And my personal recommendation is to get the full version, not the upgrade. Reformat your drive and start completely fresh. Download the newest drivers for your machine and put Vista to rest. I said "serious" once. I'll say it again.

Serious. Get rid of Vista.

Best~
    EJay
    If you understand, things are just as they are. If you do not understand, things are just as they are.

Senior Apprentice Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Inca is on a distinguished road Inca's Avatar
    Last Online
    24 Jul 2014 @ 12:11 PM
    Country
    Netherlands
    Religion
    Agnostic

For example, if one looks at this Wikipedia page the table gives us the rune in unicode in the second column. I, however, just see a box.
    I couldn't see it either, and it is not the unicode itself that seems to be the problem, but the lack of support of runes in normal fonts. I installed http://babelfonts.blogspot.com/2009/...oon-runes.html (installing = copying to c:\windows\fonts , doubleclicking to make sure it is loaded).

Then I set in my browser my default fonts for pages to Babelstone (which leaves your pages horribly ugly) and when I reset it back to normal (Microsoft Sans Serif in my case, chose what you want) it retained the runes.

Now only to fix the fact that I don't like that way of displaying runes, but we'll work on that

A bit more on this: http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/runic.html

I am running XP + Firefox.

Senior Apprentice Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Inca is on a distinguished road Inca's Avatar
    Last Online
    24 Jul 2014 @ 12:11 PM
    Country
    Netherlands
    Religion
    Agnostic

Quote Originally Posted by Inca View Post
    Better explanation, better fonts:
    http://www.personal.psu.edu/ejp10/bl...rts/runes.html

Grand Master Member
    Achievements:
    Nyktipolos is a name known to all Nyktipolos is a name known to all Nyktipolos is a name known to all Nyktipolos is a name known to all Nyktipolos is a name known to all Nyktipolos is a name known to all Nyktipolos's Avatar
    Last Online
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Eclectic polytheism
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

Quote Originally Posted by EJay View Post
    Serious. Get rid of Vista.
    I tried both FF and IE: no dice.

I'd get rid of XP on this thing if it wasn't a laptop. :P But alas, I am pretty sure I can't replace it on here. Don't worry, when I get my new laptop it will DEFINITELY be Win 7!
    On the Rivers

Grand Master Member
    Achievements:
    Last Online
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Eclectic polytheism
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

I couldn't see it either, and it is not the unicode itself that seems to be the problem, but the lack of support of runes in normal fonts. I installed http://babelfonts.blogspot.com/2009/...oon-runes.html (installing = copying to c:\windows\fonts , doubleclicking to make sure it is loaded).

Then I set in my browser my default fonts for pages to Babelstone (which leaves your pages horribly ugly) and when I reset it back to normal (Microsoft Sans Serif in my case, chose what you want) it retained the runes.

Now only to fix the fact that I don't like that way of displaying runes, but we'll work on that

A bit more on this: http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/runic.html

I am running XP + Firefox.

Thanks for both of these, Inca! I'll check them out asap.
    On the Rivers

Newbie placebo69a is on a distinguished road placebo69a's Avatar
    Last Online
    9 Jul 2013 @ 02:39 PM
    Country
    Israel
    Religion
    Atheism

So while I'm trying to do research on the futhorc, I'm running across a pretty big problem: I can't view the runes when it's written in unicode, rather than just an image file.
    This had me annoyed too on my Windows 7 Google Chrome browser, so I followed this thread and wrote up a simple set of instructions to make your Google Chrome browser properly display Unicode Runic symbols with a decent font:
    1. Install latest version of Junicode font from the source forge project site.
    2. Install BabelStone Moon Runes font from their official website.
    3. Restart Chrome (I know, all those precious tabs are going away for a few seconds, it's unnerving! )
    4. In Chrome click the menu button, then Settings. Scroll to the bottom and click Show Advanced Settings. Scroll down a little more and click Customize Fonts... - Set Junocode as your top 3 fonts (My default was Times New Roman but this can vary). Finally, click Done.
    5. I always have to adjust my font size in Chrome in this Settings screen, because I often hook my laptop up to LCD TV sets. I find that for a 42" at 1080p rez, an easy display on the eyes is with custom size 22. The Medium setting is fine on my 14" laptop WLED monitor.

I actually created an account just to share this with anyone else who might stumble upon this thread in an effort to make it easier. I hope it helps others!

Last edited by placebo69a; 9 Jul 2013 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Addendum - Font size on large monitors.

Administrator Achievements:
    OverdriveRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RandallS has disabled reputation RandallS's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:04 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Hellenic Pagan
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by placebo69a View Post
    This had me annoyed too on my Windows 7 Google Chrome browser, so I followed this thread and wrote up a simple set of instructions to make your Google Chrome browser properly display Unicode Runic symbols with a decent font:
    Thank you very much for creating an account just to post this fix for a member's technical problem!
    Randall
    RetroRoleplaying [Blog] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
    Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
    Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2