collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Hekate in Historical Teaching  (Read 1818 times)

spoOk

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Hekate in Historical Teaching
« on: August 13, 2013, 03:13:46 pm »
it bothers me that when I am watching shows about ancient Greek / roman and earlier civilizations ,regarding pantheons,archeology etc. I never hear mention if hekate.
Why is the only place she gets mentioned in general historical media,places involved in witchcraft or paganism?
I don't know why but it bothers me. why wouldn't she be noted. There IS statuary if her etc.

It bothers me most likely because I keep seeking her earliest origins and with no one mentioning her I keep oing up empty or with the same handful of theory's and statements.

Anyone have any ideas theorys or info regarding this?
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Hekate in Historical Teaching
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 03:23:28 pm »
Quote from: spoOk;118857

Anyone have any ideas theorys or info regarding this?

I think it may have to do with her not featuring in many myths, thus not having the same name recognition as someone like Zeus or Athena.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Riothamus12

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: The Nameless Path
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 03:56:00 pm »
Quote from: Melamphoros;118859
I think it may have to do with her not featuring in many myths, thus not having the same name recognition as someone like Zeus or Athena.

Not to mention that centuries of skewed outlooks on her have led people to have a very narrow view of her. They forget that she was more than the Goddess of night, the moon, and magic. She was also a Goddess of motherhood, fertility, death, the earth, the waters, protection, crossroads, knowledge, and herbs. If she's not being portrayed as  pigeonholed Goddess she's a terrible monster in pop culture which is a very depressing portrayal of her especially given that one of her known epithets is "the tender one" and that like Artemis she was considered a protector and patron of mothers and children.The Nurse of Children is one of her epithets after all.
https://inthespiritofconversation.wordpress.com/
I started a blog. Feel free to peruse. It's still in it's early stages and I have to write more, so do bare with me if it's all a little basic so far.

spoOk

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 05:01:53 pm »
Quote from: Riothamus12;118863
Not to mention that centuries of skewed outlooks on her have led people to have a very narrow view of her. They forget that she was more than the Goddess of night, the moon, and magic. She was also a Goddess of motherhood, fertility, death, the earth, the waters, protection, crossroads, knowledge, and herbs. If she's not being portrayed as  pigeonholed Goddess she's a terrible monster in pop culture which is a very depressing portrayal of her especially given that one of her known epithets is "the tender one" and that like Artemis she was considered a protector and patron of mothers and children.The Nurse of Children is one of her epithets after all.

exactly,she's some 'turrabl demon witch' in pop culture and then completely unmentioned in any historical nonfiction shows about Hellenic thingys. drives me nutty. Every thing I research about her trying to get past her Greek era dead ends at the old maybe related to a pre greek goddess from the karia/Thrace area. and I get no where after that. :(
I'm bonding with all her aspects,but visually only seem to bond well withher earliest envisionings as a shining one,in the bronze sandals waving golden curls young woman format. so I'm hoping to dig deeper and earlier because something is driving me in that direction. I tried stopping the hunt for a while but it's not working,lol.
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 05:39:08 pm »
Quote from: spoOk;118865
exactly,she's some 'turrabl demon witch' in pop culture

I misread that as 'tumblr demon witch'. Which is a slightly different mental image, possibly involving otherkin.

I don't think it helps that almost all of the Greek gods have been reduced to "God of X" in the popular imagination - she gets the short end of the stick more than some, but they're all a great deal more complex than your third grade lesson in Greek Gods or Disney's Hercules would have people believe.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Riothamus12

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: The Nameless Path
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 05:53:27 am »
Quote from: Jack;118870
I misread that as 'tumblr demon witch'. Which is a slightly different mental image, possibly involving otherkin.

I don't think it helps that almost all of the Greek gods have been reduced to "God of X" in the popular imagination - she gets the short end of the stick more than some, but they're all a great deal more complex than your third grade lesson in Greek Gods or Disney's Hercules would have people believe.

Oh yes. You don't realize it from the way they talk about it in grade school, but they completely overlook the vast amount of areas the old deities of many places reign over. The way we teach people about them is over simplified and often misleading whether the educators responsible for dispensing said knowledge intend to or not.
https://inthespiritofconversation.wordpress.com/
I started a blog. Feel free to peruse. It's still in it's early stages and I have to write more, so do bare with me if it's all a little basic so far.

Tags: