collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: What led you to Paganism?  (Read 9564 times)

herbs of airmid

• View Profile
Re: What led you to Paganism?
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2014, 09:26:09 am »
Quote from: pennylane;117676
What initially brought you to Paganism?

When I was 13, I watched a New Tricks episode called Wicca Work. it struck something in me. I began researching Wicca. Told my friends about what I was doing. because I was so excited. My friend came in to school next day and greeted me with the words "My mum's worried about you, because you're going to hell." (Exact quote, I swear)

She had invited me to a Christian conference (New Wine) in the summer holidays (it was October at this point). Decided to wait until after New Wine before making a decision as to what path I would follow. Enter nine months of reading a lot, doing very little and suffering an excruciating need to tell someone about it, which was never fulfilled.

At New Wine realised I definitely didn't want to be Christian, but took another month for me to decide to become a Wiccan.

Two and a half years on, my practice is still very patchy. I struggle with remembering to put time aside to practice things and with motivation. Am no longer a Wiccan, but am still a Witch and am becoming interested in Druidry. AS a Solitary, I still find myself needing to talk to someone and constantly worrying about what my family, particularly my sister, will think about it when I try to go out an experience Nature.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 10:01:26 am by SunflowerP »

Phouka

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2014, 10:31:02 am »
How were you raised? Did it have any impact on your decision?

What initially brought you to Paganism? What was your first experience like, and how much searching did you have to do to find it?

How did you choose or how did you discover your current practice within Paganism (wicca, druid, eclectic, etc)?

My apologies if this question has been asked before, but I'd love to know all of the different spiritual paths you all took to bring you here.

I was raised as an ecletic Christian. a little bit here, little bit there. Catholicism was the religion I had the most experience in.

I was reading mythology at about 8 and was fascinated by it. I went looking for a faith around 18 and tried Catholicism, various Protestant religions, Jewish and then I found paganism at around 18 or 19. Wicca felt comfortable. I had a place and a face in Wicca. I never wanted to be clergy and as I studied I found that Wicca was my introduction but not my place.

I found that the Celtic pantheons were more to my liking. I found Epona and worshiped her for 25 years as a solitary. I still used a lot of my Wiccan knowledge in my practice. At 44, I decided to dedicate myself as a Warrior instead of Maiden. It was a conscious decision on my part because there were issues I needed to deal with and Epona had said to me in a dream that I needed a Warrior God or Goddess to help me.

On my 45th birthday, during the ritual, I was thwapped by Macha. She said I was to be Her priest. I have been working thru all my issues and either putting them in the past (where they belong) or reabsorbing the soul shards I had lost through psychological trauma.

During Ostara ritual, I was ordained as Macha's priest. Since then, I've done two dedications and I have a wedding to do later this year. I never wanted to be clergy, but Macha had other ideas.

I am now in college for a BA in Psychology and studying an oathbound Wiccan tradition seriously.

Phouka

MightyAntler

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2014, 12:45:45 pm »
Quote from: herbs of airmid;146848
Told my friends about what I was doing. because I was so excited. My friend came in to school next day and greeted me with the words "My mum's worried about you, because you're going to hell." (Exact quote, I swear)

Something like that happened to me when I was in grade 9. My band teacher knew about my dabbling in Witchcraft and one day he informed me that he dreamed that I showed up in class and "used powers and moves like Yoda" to harm the students. He and his wife were worried and they were praying for me.
Yours in hobbit homes,
MightyAntler

MightyAntler

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2014, 01:12:51 pm »

What initially brought you to Paganism? What was your first experience like, and how much searching did you have to do to find it?

How did you choose or how did you discover your current practice within Paganism (wicca, druid, eclectic, etc)?

My apologies if this question has been asked before, but I'd love to know all of the different spiritual paths you all took to bring you here.

My parents are Protestants though they are not traditional so I was not baptized, taught any creeds or prayers, and never went to church. I was only taught that someone called God exists, that he had prophets, made commandments, and that he inflicts punishment on those who have sex before marriage as well as on children who break mom's prized teapot. Since I was not really groomed to be a child of Abraham the religion of my parents did not have much of any impact on my journey to Neopaganism.

What brought me to Neopaganism was the discovery of books on Wicca at the local library while I was in grade 8. My first experience from what I recall was using a simple protection spell to keep stray dogs at bay.

I found out about Kemeticism years ago on... you guessed it... the internet. I only knew about Kemetic Orthodoxy, but I did not join because I was too young and depended on my parents (and still do). Kemeticism was not a path that I walked due to my ignorance that KO is not the only Kemeticism. From there I explored many religions and paths such as Hellenism and Ásatrú. In 2012 I was baptized in a Lutheran parish. It was not very long ago actually that I came back to Neopaganism after a religious experience that helped me accept that there really are Deities.
Yours in hobbit homes,
MightyAntler

Melian Brythonia

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2014, 06:01:54 pm »

For me, I was raised (very loosely) in a Christian household. My parents were never churchgoers but they believe in God. I was encouraged to find my own way, so I went to Sunday school a few times and although I enjoyed the ritual aspect of it, I never really connected with the Bible stories and the assertions of the priests. I stopped going to church after a month or two.

Truth be told, I don't remember exactly what brought me to Paganism. I remember spending time at the library researching other religions and spiritualities (inspired by my school RE teacher who was fabulous) and I read about all the organised religions and some of the alternative ones, which must have included Paganism. That said though I don't remember the definitive moment where I thought 'Yes, I'm Pagan'. I read a load of books, had a go at some ritual and when I read about Goddess worship I knew I was home. I suppose I have always been Pagan - I just didn't know it had a name.

As I previously explained, I have always just identified as 'Pagan' rather than labelling myself, but I am a member of both OBOD (after I felt called to do their correspondence courses, of which I am now doing Ovate) and also the Fellowship of Isis. I have made it a goal to try and follow my fascinations and they have led me well so far. :)
Formerly known as OwlHeart!

In search of Isis....

tehshort1

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2014, 09:13:08 pm »

I grew up in a Roman Catholic family. My mom was huge into making sure that I was confirmed as a catholic so that I could get married in a church. I thought it was ridiculous and hated every minute of the "religious classes" which was basically just social hour. I looked into various other religions and a friend suggested Wicca. Once I started researching it I was hooked. I've always been very interested in my Irish heritage, so when I researched the Celtic dieties, I was particularly drawn to Brigid and the Dagda. Now I am excited to pass along myu knowledge and share this path with my wife and our 2 month old son.

CailinRua

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2014, 08:42:58 pm »

I was raised by a Christian ( she identifies as christian, but isn't what one would call devout and doesn't go to church) and an agnostic. My mother wanted me to be "saved" and taught me about jesus, all i remember of the religious aspect of my upbringing was thinking i would surely burn in hell for not going to sunday school and not being baptized. I would really fret about it from i was 4 to about 6 or so.

Later in life my family was having some extreme upheaval and chaos, my escape was my garden and going outside into nature, it was the only time i felt grounded and peaceful and safe. I used to think that i was very superstitious also, but i now know i was just really in tune with the cycles and living things around me. I gave things to to trees i was drawn to, tie a piece of favorite ribbon on it, leave a nick knack or a special rock i found for it and things like that.  Similar to mini rituals i suppose, it made me feel connected and on some level I think i thought the tree would understand. At this time most of my "superstitions" were focused on protecting myself and brothers, like hiding objects in the yard that i had fed my thoughts into to keep baddies away.

When i became a teenager i discovered the term wiccan (because of some girls at my jr. high), and the research began. While i am not a wiccan, it was my "gateway" to finding what i was. I dont think i was led to paganism or found it was for me, i think i eventually just found the word for what i already was, it was a happy day as it allowed me to begin understanding myself on a new level, validate what a already felt to be true, and find others with similar world views to share with.

Since then, it has been non stop learning and discovery. Every book i read on paganism, pantheism, naturalism etc adds to the web of knowledge and self understanding. My perspective is in a constant motion of change and growth and these days i am a very happy person. I feel grounded and whole, and that is a gift. For much of my life that wasnt the case.

My favorite part of all of it right now is watching my child discover the things that made me feel electric and wild, and the things that made me feel safe and nurtured. He naturally sees the world through a magical lens (as many children do), and boy is that fun. As far as a title for my path, that is difficult and seemingly ever changing. Panthiest pagan is close enough for me, but i am many things!

rosebackontrack

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2014, 09:11:15 pm »
I was Christian, mainly by influence of my community. My parents didn't give me much religious teachings as a child. My mother is Christian and my father is atheist/agnostic, so they never really raised me with any significant religious upbringing. I think it did impact in a sense of, I wanted a religion that was highly spiritual and worked with energies and such because I didn't get that much growing up. I left Christianity in being convinced by my father on how it didn't make sense to him.
What initially brought me, was an intense curiosity in Witchcraft. As I began searching for information (via the internet) on it, Paganism and the Gods would frequently come up (especially the Wiccan understandings). My first experience to be honest was the sense of "awe" and wonder as looked into it the different Gods and information on the religions of Paganism.
I also didn't have to to much searching, there was a lot of information on the internet.
How did you choose or how did you discover your current practice within Paganism (wicca, druid, eclectic, etc)?.
I'm still finding it, but I find myself being led by research and what I'm drawn too.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 09:14:27 pm by rosebackontrack »

KendrikDmer

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2014, 09:45:57 pm »

I was raised strict Presbyterian. When I realized I was gay, the concept of going to hell for falling in love didn't work. So I read about a lot of pagan paths. I realized the Norse pantheon resonated with something deep inside me. So I read and researched and changed paths. Most of my family doesn't know, but I don't bring it up. They don't need to know.
Kendrik D\'mer
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~Socrates~
"It is better to be hated for what you are, than loved for what you are not." ~Andre Gide~

Shakas

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2014, 02:06:11 am »

I was raised in Middle America as a scientific atheist.  I was bundled up and sent off to the University to become a research scientist as soon as I graduated from high school, groomed to float somewhere in the federal alphabet soup (NASA, DOE, NOAA, etc.).

For reasons too complex to go into here, it didn't quite work out that way.

After a life with lots of struggle and little real meaning, I had an encounter with my best friend from high school...one of those people you have a special bond with, but you don't know how to make sense of it at the time because you're both awkward teenagers.  Turns out she was my Twin Flame, soulmate, etc. (think Richard Bach's Bridge Across Forever).  After the third week re-united, she and I racked up more messages on Facebook than the other 1,000+ Friends on my list combined.  Yeah.  

She had been pagan from early on.  She helped me see that I, too, was a pagan...I just didn't have the frame of reference to realize it until now.  I've been on this third stone from Sol for four and a half decades, and embracing my bond with her and my identity as a pagan was one of the most moving experiences of my life.  Still is.

When I realized I was a pagan, my inquiry naturally turned to which Deities and traditions would resonate with me.  I set about to try the Greek pantheon, having been quite the Greek mythology buff growing up and one of the very few teenagers to read Bullfinch.  However, I failed to realize that, just like we can reach out to the God(dess)es, they can also reach out to us.  My Twin has long been a priestess of The Morrigan, and She reached out to me.  I think She reunited us.  And The Morrigan can really make a point with gusto and panache, I'm here to tell you.  Now I serve Her too.

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2014, 01:36:39 pm »

This is a complicated question for me, as I'm no longer sure I can comfortably identify as pagan in the same way a Wiccan or a Druid would. I currently identify as Mahayana Buddhist, but my beliefs and praxis are very eclectic, and incorporate elements of Hinduism, Wiccish-type Neopaganism, and even a touch of Shinto. It should be said here that Buddhism historically had little problem incorporating the pantheons and practices of other religions into its fold.

1.) I was raised Catholic, in a very religious household. I also attended two conservative evangelical schools as a teenager (I was bullied in public school, but there were no other options for private schooling). I went from eighth grade until I dropped out at 16 and escaped to Community College. (Wasn't bullied like I was in public school...but didn't fit in, and was still often isolated and singled out because of my religion) So, I experienced both ends of the spectrum: the austerity of fundamentalist Protestantism, and the ornate Mass of the Roman Catholics. I have to say, I came away knowing that I preferred the latter. In fact, there were many things I found about Roman Catholicism that were preferable to Evangelical Christianity - it wasn't just the beauty of the physical Church setting. (Our Church was actually very plain compared to the mainstream Protestants in town; we didn't even have stained-glass windows!)

2.) My first exposure to Paganism was to Wicca, of course. I picked up Doreen Valiente's An ABC of Witchcraft Past and Present at the library when I was about...17 or so, because I was writing a fantasy story and wanted a book on witches. Didn't take long for me to realize she wasn't really talking about fairytale witches! I also picked up Rosemary Ellen Guiley's Encyclopedia for the same reason, which had information on Wicca and Wiccan leaders. I never really went beyond curiosity towards Wicca, though I bought a lot of books on it. I think I knew there was something THERE, but I wasn't quite reaching it.

3.) I stumbled around until I fell over it. ;)

Kind of. I was bumbling about appealing to Japanese Goddesses, because they interested me. One of them was Benten. Benten is more of a goddess of good luck nowadays, but she was originally much closer to her origin, the Hindu Sarasvati. At first I prayed to her for luck in school, but eventually cut that bit out and just prayed for help in my schoolwork. And I started getting this nudge in the back of my head that I was really praying to Sarasvati. I stumbled a bit more trying to reconcile this bit of information before I gave in and let Her take care of me.

Sarasvati was originally Hindu, and I've got a good bit of information Hinduism and her Hindu aspect, however, she kept pushing me away from that. Instead, I felt pulled toward Buddhism, and how she operated within that religion. And eventually, I surrendered to Her will in that too. She wanted me to be Buddhist; she felt it was the right path for me. And now I have finally listened.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

DownByTheWillowTree

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2014, 08:01:44 am »

I was raised catholic, in a rather strict, small community and no, I didn't have any choice, but i don't blame my parents since pretty much everyone here is baptized and kids in school tend to get mean when someone's not like them.

When I was a child, I often visited my grandma (still try to do that as often as possible). Her neighbor was my best friend, and my best friend's older sister was into esoteric stuff and it got me interested somehow. Later on, when internet was a part of everyday life, I looked for new information now and then, but it's only now that I am trying to learn and understand everything into it's details. This board already helped me a lot about discovering which paths there are, so yeah :D
To make a long story short, I wanted to learn more about paganism since I don't feel catholic, I feel drawn to it and i wanted to learn more about it, so that's why I'm here, trying to find my own pagan path :D

NightQueen

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2014, 03:50:14 am »

I was raised Catholic.  I think it did have an impact, I mean Catholics are half way to pagan any way (just kidding);). But seriously I do think Catholicism lends itself to seeing the world as a more mystical place than many Protestant sects do.

Quote from:

I've always loved anything mythical or magical.  My mom used to read a book of Greek myths to me when I was young and my favorite character was Medea.  I devoured every book I could get my hands with magical bent.

The first time I heard the word Wicca was I'm ashamed to say was on Charmed(for the record I was just starting middle school).  Then a couple days later I was in a book store and there was display with a book that had Wicca in the title, and I was like holy crap it's a real thing that people practice.

My mom bought me the book and I there began my rather fluffy Wiccan stage.  I had several friends that were also interested in magic and we read every book we could get our hands on.  Most of them were fluffy as hell, there probably a few good ones though.

I have to say my mom was actually really supportive.   She never had any problem with me reading anything I wanted or even performing spells. She just didn't like the idea of me not calling myself a Catholic,  so I never used the term Wiccan around her.

I grew out of that stage by my mid teens and actually entered what I like to call my Uber Catholic phase.  I started taking classes at my local parish and finally went through my Confirmation. I went to mass every Sunday and followed the letter of pretty much every Catholic teaching, even the ones I didn't agree with.  I think all this stemmed from a desire to want to be a part of something bigger than myself, but even as I was doing it I knew I just didn't believe most of it in my heart.

For various reasons I once again drifted away from the church. Over the years I would occasionally read something about Paganism and feel drawn but I never really followed it.  For a long time it didn't feel like something grown-ups with jobs and rent practiced (residual shame from the fluffyness I asume).  Then a few years ago I picked up a copy of The Inner Temple of Witchcraft by Christopher Penczak(I don't remember why or how).  I found a lot of that book really interesting and the exercises really helpful. He's Wiccan but I think a lot of the stuff in that book can be applied universally. I think for the first time I realized what magic really is and it's not tools or herbs it's something within me.

Quote from:
did you choose or how did you discover your current practice within Paganism (wicca, druid, eclectic, etc)?

I'm still trying to find my path. I've recently been drawn to Druidry.  My actual religious beliefs are actually a bit hazy. I think I want a bit more structure and ritual in my practice (hold over from my Catholic days) and I've always been drawn to anything Celtic but I'm not really a polytheist so the more recon religions don't particularly appeal to me. I think the OBOD might work for me.

Night Owl

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2014, 05:35:09 pm »

I'll be totally honest while writing this: my path to getting here was very silly at first. I was making up a religion, I think my plan was to write about it or something. It had a lot of silly things about animal guides and it was basically a big ball of "ooh this thing looks shiny". Keep in mind, I was 12, so I didn't really know much better and it seemed like a logical thing to do at the time. Anyway, I wrote a bit about it and then thought "This sounds like wicca!" But I did some research about Wicca and decided I didn't really like it all that much. I found TC almost directly after that, so I don't really think I had what you could call a fluffy-bunny phase. Unless the first part counts.

I don't think I can really label myself right now. I do some things to honor Bast, and Manannan bapped me so I've been trying to work out things I can do for Him. I don't mix the paths.

Previously, I have done Hellenic ADF (The first thing I ever did seriously), and for a while I tried to be a Brighid kid (which didn't work out) and I've spent a whole lot of time searching. It's always a learning experience.

Demophon

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2015, 10:49:44 pm »

I wasn't raised with much of a religious upbringing, though it's hard to escape certain cultural norms that stem from Christian teachings and have become a part of even secular society. My family was pretty uptight when it came to things like sexuality, traditional gender roles, and generally anything the neighbours would think was "unconventional."

Maybe my story is a cliché among people who become pagan, but I grew up with a lot of frustration towards society and its patriarchy, sex-negativity, environmental exploitation and destruction, and all the trappings of civilization that isolate us from nature and each other. I don't know where it came from, I think I just always had an affinity with nature, and I was interested with pre-historic humanity and always tried to imagine what it would be like to live in a hunter-gatherer community. Growing up as a queer boy with effeminate tendencies, I experienced how anything associated with femininity was seen as inferior, and degrading for a male to participate in, though I think this has been changing recently.

I was always very interested in ancient cultures like ancient Egypt and Greece. I had books about these civilizations even before I had any idea anyone still honoured their gods. It seems silly, but after watching Disney's Pocahontas movie, I really became an animist and felt like there were spirits in everything. Maybe I always thought that way, but just couldn't articulate it until I was exposed to those ideas. I always loved witchy shows and movies, like Charmed and The Craft, but I think it was more about identifying with misunderstood, fringe characters who feel "different" from the mainstream.

I didn't really connect witchiness to anything spiritual until early high school when I knew some goth girls who were into the Silver Ravenwolf type of Wicca that was big with teenage girls. I didn't really get into it with friends or anything, but hearing about it from my peers piqued my interest enough to make me look into it on my  own, and when I found out Wicca was a "nature religion," I wanted to know more. Consistent with a lot of my opinions, I always thought major religions were constructions of human civilization, and that an angry man in the sky with a book of rules had no basis in natural reality. I've since discovered some value in Christian tradition, but I didn't understand it then.

The rest is pretty typical, I started out with Cunningham and Ravenwolf books, moved on to more substantial works on traditional Wicca and other sorts of witchcraft, started following the gods of familiar pantheons from my childhood interest in Greece and Egypt, etc. I have tried going in other religious directions, but I find that something about paganism resonates with me the way no other traditions really do. Pagan witchcraft in particular is pretty unique in the modern western world when it comes to religions that include gender equality, sex-positivity, queer inclusiveness, mysticism based on nature, and environmentalist values. There is also the traditionalism of the ancient civilizations that paganism of a more recon flavour incorporate, so there's also the diversity of paganism that is also attractive.

Tags: