Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: What led you to Paganism?  (Read 9492 times)

pennylane

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
What led you to Paganism?
« on: August 02, 2013, 02:42:13 pm »
How were you raised? Did it have any impact on your decision?

What initially brought you to Paganism? What was your first experience like, and how much searching did you have to do to find it?

How did you choose or how did you discover your current practice within Paganism (wicca, druid, eclectic, etc)?

My apologies if this question has been asked before, but I'd love to know all of the different spiritual paths you all took to bring you here.

Oíche

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Irish Polytheism/Druidry/Initiatory Witchcraft
Re: What led you to Paganism?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 07:04:00 pm »
Quote from: pennylane;117676

What initially brought you to Paganism? What was your first experience like, and how much searching did you have to do to find it?

How did you choose or how did you discover your current practice within Paganism (wicca, druid, eclectic, etc)?

My apologies if this question has been asked before, but I'd love to know all of the different spiritual paths you all took to bring you here.

I wasn't raised in a particularly religious household, although for several years we went to mass on Sundays (Catholic).
I became interested in pagan ideas quite young and by the time I was 10 or 11 I was very interested in the goddess Epona (I used to ride horses).
I always felt more at home within paganism and knew it was the path for me quite young (I was fairly precocious and kinda a bit more advanced reading-wise than most of my peers in a lot of ways :o XD) but I hadn't found my niche.
Later I found Wicca and continued on in that for a few years as an eclectic until recent years when I became interested in Gaelic Polytheism and modern druidry. :)
'You're my friend, and I love you- but you really look like a witch!!'

Varian

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 08:52:42 pm »

I was raised Christian.  I don't know how much that's impacted my (still growing) practices, but for the longest time I felt a tug towards Paganism but denied that tug.

My first encounter with Paganism was...Mists of Avalon. :ashamed:  I can remember how stunned I was when I read that in early high school.  I was always interested in fantasy novels and the like, but that book blew my mind.  Then I pushed it from my mind for some reason.

Honestly, the things that brought me to Paganism was books and stories.  The one that pushed me to look further was American Gods..  I can't quote it, but I can remember the impression it gave me.  It said "there is something here for you."

I started out on a vaguely Wiccan-ish path.  I started looking at different paths because Wicca simply didn't work for me.  After the Morrigan showed up, I looked into Celtic paths, but it didn't click.

Then Anpu stepped into my life, and I started to look into a Kemetic path, and it just fits.  The more I read the more I'm nodding and thinking "yes, that's how I see these things too!"

Viv

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 10:34:00 pm »

I discovered Paganism through a friend I made while attending college. I had come from an extremely verbally and physically abusive Christian home and felt lost once I went away to college. There was no one there screaming at me, hitting me, telling me what to do. I probably looked like a lost puppy wandering around that campus. Then I met Chrystal in my Intro to Chemistry class. After spending time together studying, she invited me to sit in on one of her Pagan group meet-ups on campus.

Thankfully, the other members of the group felt a connection with me and I was invited to join the group. That little group showed me so much unconditional love, kindness, and friendship; they gave me the strength and confidence to learn to love myself. That led to my being able to grow as a person and put the abuse behind me.

I've been a Pagan ever since. My path has taken me in a lot of different directions over the years but it has never let me down :)

~ Kay
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 10:35:22 pm by Viv »
"As every cat lover knows, nobody owns a cat." ~Ellen Perry Berkeley

AKA: windshadow; hesperia

Garnet-Flame

• View Profile
    • http://garnet-flame.tumblr.com
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 06:23:10 pm »

I've been interested in Paganism since I found out what it was when I was very young, probably because I loved fantasy books like Harry Potter. When I found out that people believed magic was real in some form, I of course wanted to be one of those people. I also thought learning about Greek mythology in school was the best unit of the year in 3rd grade. But my parents strongly discouraged me from exploring anything outside of Catholicism, and at the time I had a strong belief in Hell (not so much in anything else I was supposed to believe) and that I would go there if I did anything I wasn't "supposed" to religiously. So I didn't really explore my interest for many years.

Ever since I've been an adult (which hasn't been very long) I'd been occasionally looking at Pagan sites on the internet and liking what I saw. A few months ago I was bored one night and I think I had stumbled across the blog about Paganism or something along those lines. So I started doing more serious research, and everything felt right. I decided to set up an altar just with the things I had around the house. Ever since then I've been practicing in little ways when I can. Sadly I know of literally no Pagans where I live. If there are any, they don't talk about it on the internet! So I've been limited to discussing things online.

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 11:24:45 pm »

I was raised by a barely lapsed Catholic (mom) and an agnostic-leaning-toward-atheist (dad).  During my 'tween years I was dragged around on my mom's various New Agey spiritual quests.  I met a lot of Wiccan/goddess types.  Sadly, mostly flakes, freaks, and weirdos...and not in a good way.  I did, however, get a certain amount of exposure to nature as object of veneration.  Which led me everywhere else I've gone spiritually over the years.

I grew up with hippies on the West Coast.  I didn't have to look far.  I was brought to paganism (if you care to put it that way) as a cynic, practically kicking and screaming.  I would almost rather be a complete non-wooist, but I keep having spiritual experiences that prevent it.  I challenge my assumptions about these experiences as a kind of sport.

Incrementally.  I have a strongly theatrical streak, and I like tradition and ritual, so building a new seasonal calendar around it came naturally.

Magic is separate from my wonky belief "system".  It's a skill set I cultivated over time.

Brina

Riothamus12

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: The Nameless Path
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 12:25:58 am »

I wanted to know more about why things are the way they are, who my ancestors were, and the truth of the universe. When I was a child I would often think about these things and the sort of Christianity I had been exposed to at that point did not answer any of my questions. So I went in search of answers and it led me to paganism. The universes secrets though many and in a number of cases truly ineffable opened up to me in some way and my heart opened to them.
https://inthespiritofconversation.wordpress.com/
I started a blog. Feel free to peruse. It's still in it's early stages and I have to write more, so do bare with me if it's all a little basic so far.

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 02:29:33 am »

A strong influence from my father helped. I didn't know it at the time, and would rubbish him for being New Age, but his work with spirits (especially tree spirits) made me wonder. So did the Paganism of some friends. Time spent in what Celtic Christians call "thin places" led to experiences that made me question my Christianity. So did lots of experiences with Christianity, over about ten years, that just wore me down - especially how I felt as a gay and disabled member of churches. It was really hard, because I was a devoted (if liberal) Christian, and I still feel the loss of that worldview keenly - but eventually the cognitive dissonance got too much, and I started to research other religions, ending up back with Paganism where I started. Though I found Celtic Reconstructionism first, not Wicca or eclectic Paganism. And honestly, given the importance of research and academia to me, if I'd found eclectic Paganism first I'm not sure I'd have embraced it so willingly! Druidry came later, when I realised that there were very few CRs in Britain and that if I wanted community, I'd have to look a bit more widely. I'm glad I started exploring it - I've had to learn acceptance of other paths because of how diverse British druidry is, and that's been good for me. I started with OBOD, which I eventually realised wasn't a good fit for me, but I found a wonderful group in the process. Now doing ADF and trying to remember that open-mindedness and willingness to try new things, however much I resist it, is good for me.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

SerpentineSorcerer

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://abracadabra-macabre.tumblr.com/
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 12:18:45 pm »

I was raised in two very different camps of religion. On the one hand was a very strict Catholicism (we're talking the folks who think Vatican II is heresy and separated from the main catholic church). On the other hand was The Spiritualist Church, primarily the one based out of Camp Chesterfield in Indiana. They both had an influence. My father and paternal grandparents catholicism had devotionals and all sorts of physical religious stuff that I thought was cool, but every prayer I ever prayed to Christ or Yahweh/God the Father was met with a very telling silence. At first I thought it was something on my end but that's when I started getting more involved with my maternal grandmother and the Spiritualist Church. That's when I heard my prayers being answered, and answered by someone distinctly not the Christian deity. That got me very curious and so I began to explore. Plus the esoteric practices I ran into in the Spiritualist church seemed really cool to my young mind.

What initially brought me to paganism was...well...The remake of the Mummy. :o The black book of the dead in that movie just looked and sounded all kinds of cool and mysterious. So color me intrigued when I was looking around my high school library at lunch because I read all the books on Greek myths (at the time I didn't think too much into the Greeks myths, though there was something to them in their descriptions and depictions of the gods in some stories that I felt a closeness too) and I find on the shelf a book labeled EGYPTIAN BOOK OF THE DEAD. It was the Papyrus of Ani, the translation done by Budge so not exactly the best quality but the edition did have the nifty illustrations. I just devoured that book, read it constantly every day at lunch. I had always had an interest in ancient egypt but this book ignited something else, it called to me, and it gave me a sense that "We have always been here, waiting for you."

After that I went into exploring paganism, but I did it in a sort of roundabout way. I didn't start out looking into Wicca like most often do, I instead went to ceremonial magic and hermetic philosophy. I had been attracted to Hermes Trismegistus, of which I still am, so I worked through hermetic philosophy, alchemy, and such. I read about the Golden Dawn, the OTO, Thelema, Enochian magic and such. It was after I read much of that that I found myself looking up Gerald Gardner and his religion of Wicca. I read around, thought Wicca was cool but I saw issues with the very eclectic approaches that certain authors described. So I went eslewhere. I studied animism and neo-shamanic practices because I felt that had a better sense of what I was trying to connect to but nothing seemed to jive in just the right manner. I never felt called to anything Celtic, those gods just never spoke to me. I looked into more germanic pagan religions but I got a kindly tap on the head saying what I was looking for wasn't here, but I was close. At the time I had looked at Kemetic practice and religion, but the predominant group I kept running into was the Kemetic Orthodox and I didn't feel much of a draw there.

Then I got a spiritual thwapp to turn back around. Long story short, I re-investigated the Kemetic Orthodox and found a great deal of connection with kemetic practice. I took the basics, became a remetj, and went from there. But not all the pieces had fallen into place, there was still a calling out that I didn't feel had been answered fully. But I felt that the answer was rooted in kemetic practice...somewhere, somehow. It wasn't long til I found Neos Alexandros and I had a eureka moment. I finally found what the calling had been and it aligned so much with how I initially began looking into pagan religions, what I had been drawn to, and what I felt was correct in terms of beliefs and practices that it blew my mind something fierce. Thus how I became a kemetic-hellenic syncretist.
"Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal"

"Life is not separate from death. It only looks that way."

Mariea

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 03:53:24 pm »

I've always had a fondness of Witches, from way back with Meg and Mog and a random witch that flew past my mum's bedroom window when I was a child. To thirty odd years later and I've still got a soft spot for Witches, but these days I take things slightly more seriously than just wearing my stripey socks hehe.

Bizarrely because of this website and a lead I was following because of someone else's question, I find out my mum's a Catholic literally the day before (no lie) I'm ready to prance off to St. Winefride's well in North Wales after about a month's worth of reading and spell building (first semi-serious attempt, interesting results so far), and as a weird offshoot discover a love/fertility spell that actually works. I swear if I hadn't had a hysterectomy, I'd be having a baby not long after next Imbolc. My husband's exhausted and nicely docile too :p.

Anyway, I find out mum's a Catholic the day before I complete the spell! Completely by accident I might add. Forty two years old and this was the day 'it crops up'. Anyway, plan goes arse up. We go there anyway because it was planned and I love that part of Wales, leave a few gifts, one from my mum, buys her a blue Rosary since she's no clue whatever happened to hers. And convince myself I'm a born-again Catholic!

Visits his mum's in Nottingham, bent the ear off 'St Angela', his mum's 80 year old neighbour and my drinking buddy when I visit. She's convinced I'm gonna convert and drags me off to the evening Service for a taster session. Anyway, was completely unmoved by the whole thing and fairly disappointed to be honest. Smelt great though like churches always do. Couldn't hear a word of the Service either which was a shame.

Came back home read TONNES more about Catholics, realised it wasn't what I was searching for due to the fact the more I read about Nuns and all the different convents and types like Passionists and Carmelites, well the more I read, the Witchier I became. And some of the stuff I'd come up with for my spell was dangerously close to some of the stuff the good Sisters probably believe the complete opposite way about. So that's a no-no for me. Also, I used to own a Rubber Nun dress so, you know.

Anyway, went straight back to my usual starting point. Inana, Queen of Heaven and Earth. Got even further this time round. I've learnt how little I know. But I'm being pointed in some very interesting directions and am loving every minute of it. This is why I'm into Paganism. There's so much to explore.

Aiwelin

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 08:34:13 pm »

Missouri-synod lutheran - the extreme evangelical branch of lutheranism.  We still studied Luther's Catechism and everyone from "the gays" to single mothers to doctors who prescribed the pill were going to burn in hell.  I think it helped me realize quite early on what an illogical faith Christianity was - if they had been a more liberal denomination, it might have taken me much longer to figure it out!

Surprise, it was two authors who drew me in initially.  A lonely kid in junior high, I spent a lot of time in the local library, where I encountered Tolkien's Silmarillion (basically a modern-day written mythology) and Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy, which had less of an impact but introduced me to the I Ching.  Once I had my hands on that, a whole new world of mystery and magic and philosophy opened up to me.  I loved learning, and this was rebellious learning, so obviously the best kind ;).  In high school, the internet became a more pervasive thing, and it wasn't long before I encountered Wicca and the rest was history!

The other side of the coin was that I had been an animist since childhood (I have yet to meet a child that isn't).  Together with a love of nature, it insured that Wicca felt like home to me.  A religion that reveres nature, encourages me talking to trees, and still has that mysterious air about it?  Sign me up!

Now this was much more complicated!  Back in high school, all I knew was Wicca - I was sure that Wiccan and Pagan were synonymous, and their beliefs were the be-all-end-all of nature worship.  But then I went to college (this was around '05) and had way more freedom in accessing the internet and the wealth of knowledge it contained.  I started describing myself according to all sorts of different philosophies based on what was interesting me at the moment, while retaining the same Wiccan-flavored duo-theistic nature-worship practices.  I developed a strong relationship with a female deity I alternate identified as Nature, Mother Earth, and Yavanna (from Tolkien's mythology).  I was very draw to the reconstructionist religions, but being a college student with a demanding major, didn't have much extra time to study and really build a practice in the way the many reconstructionist religions require.  Besides the fact that I was having an angsty on-again-off-again relationship with my parents, and that really turned me off from ancestor worship and learning about my past.

Once I had my own kids, I reconciled with my parents (it's easier to understand that everyone's just trying their best once you're in thier position).  I learned more about my background (German, English and Irish).  And coincidentally (perhaps?) it was at this time that I discovered ADF Druidry.  Here was an organization that emphasized scholarship, but also had a standard ritual, and a path and study guide for developing one's own path.  I was immediately drawn in, and it's there that I've since felt most spiritually at home.  The first deity honored at almost all ADF rituals is the Earth Mother, and as we had developed a very close relationship by then, I was happy to honor Her in this new way.  In my ADF research, I have uncovered a few deities that I feel especially called to honor, and that has made me a more hard polytheist - I now believe that deities are distinct entities.  I think I've finally managed to identify my mysterious Earth Mother as Nerthus, and I am thrilled to know Her old name.

Since some of my deities are Anglo-Saxon and Germanic, once a local Heathen group sprang up I began attending their sumbels, and I've really enjoyed the fellowship I've found there.

In my quest to introduce my children to Paganism and integrate them into the larger Pagan community, I've come back around to Wicca.  There's an old and active circle near me, and after taking my children for awhile, I became a student, and am still studying with them.  It's different from my practice now, and isn't exactly home for me, but it feels familiar and I enjoy being around and having my children be around other Pagans - it helps us feel a little less like the odd ones out.  But my personal rituals are still ADF-style, and that's how I feel Nerthus likes to be honored, so I think I will stay with it for a long while to come :)
Devotee of Nerthus
Worshipper of Germanic Deities
Now blogging on Patheos Pagan!  Check out Heathen at Heart

In the Nebraska-Iowa area?  Come check out Prairie Shadow Protogrove, ADF!
Ár nDraíocht Féin
The Troth

AncientMystic

• Sr. Newbie
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 09:14:06 pm »
Can't really say that what I am or if I'm really even looking at becoming. I do remember, however, the first time I went to a ritual.
It was for the coming of fall. Burning of the may poll and herbal sacrifices to appease the god/desses. It was in a place called Starland CA. Between Joshua Tree and Twentynine Palms. It sat on a plateau over a ravine. Middle of the desert of you haven't figured it out, or don't of the area.
It was exciting at first. My friend swore up and down it was the greatest event of the year and everyone was friendly. So I went. Boy was I in for treat. Being able to feel the afterlife and all. Needless to say I was able to feel a crypt that I knew nothing of that was they made for a corpse they found.
Sadness swirled and pain was obvious. Apparently this was an area attacked during the start of the religious expansion in the early 1800's. Claimed by white man over the native americans. I noticed concentric rings in the sky as well as buffalo herds, all cloud formations.
Anyway, fast forward a few hours, its dark and the ritual begins. Out come the heads of the group in robe and chanting. They start a fire and call upon the major deities. Odin and the like. They started burning the may poll and a gust of wind started. Now I'm nauseous. They continue and start pulling runes from a bag. Each rune representing a deity they would honor that day. One was of the wind, one of life and death, one of earth, etc. Until everyone pulled a rune. Suddenly, as the offerings were being made it started. I doubled over sick to my stomach as the deities made their presence known. Needless to say, I'm a firm believer that god/desses  exist. To what extent. I don't know.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 10:39:41 am »
Quote from: AncientMystic;118201
...They start a fire and call upon the major deities. Odin and the like. They started burning the may poll ...

I don't celebrate any of the Wheel holidays, so I may be asking something odd here but...why did they burn the Maypole?
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

AncientMystic

• Sr. Newbie
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 10:57:05 am »
It was supposed to bring fertility, if I remember right, they did for the harvest time at the beginning of fall.

bwendo

• Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 07:43:29 pm »

I cam to paganism from a sort of general distrust of corporate churchology and the increasing focus on money and donations instead of actually doing good.
SIG SPAM REMOVED

Tags: