Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Elemental stuff and centering/calming effects  (Read 3544 times)

amalthea

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Elemental stuff and centering/calming effects
« on: July 31, 2011, 10:39:55 pm »
I'm not sure where else to put this but since this is an everyday thought I think it fits best here.

I am normally a very Earth-centric person. I am just very Earthy, not sure how else to put it (and a Taurus to boot). Being in an Earthy place like the mountains makes me very calm, centered and focused. But every since I can remember, being near the ocean (preferably IN the ocean) has an even stronger result. This may have a lot to do with the fact that I grew up in southern Florida and I spent most of my childhood in the water. Does anyone else get extremely calm and centered by the ocean and/or mountains? What location feels the best to you? This isn't so much a question post as a random thought post.

Etheric1

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Elemental stuff and centering/calming effects
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 04:21:36 am »
Quote from: amalthea;9814
I'm not sure where else to put this but since this is an everyday thought I think it fits best here.

I am normally a very Earth-centric person. I am just very Earthy, not sure how else to put it (and a Taurus to boot). Being in an Earthy place like the mountains makes me very calm, centered and focused. But every since I can remember, being near the ocean (preferably IN the ocean) has an even stronger result. This may have a lot to do with the fact that I grew up in southern Florida and I spent most of my childhood in the water. Does anyone else get extremely calm and centered by the ocean and/or mountains? What location feels the best to you? This isn't so much a question post as a random thought post.

The mountains do this for me big time.  Which I think is interesting since I did not grow up in an area with any mountains but I feel like now I have to live near them in order to stay sane. The oceans don't so the same for me, the feelings I get are just... different somehow.  Not sure how to articulate that.
No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy. - Mel\'s Law of Dark Fluffs.
Nothing is more despicable than respect based on fear. – Albert Camus
You can easily judge the character of a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them. - unknown
“We cannot change our memories, but we can change their meaning and the power they have over us” - David Seamands

Wood Rose

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 10:45:38 am »

I live for me in the perfect place. I am 15 min from Puget Sound, and a two hour drive to both the ocean and Mt Rainier. So depending on what I need I can head there.

I love the woods and the sounds the trees make when they talk to each other. I love the full moons light reflecting on the ocean waves (that is when it is not raining).

So I think I am drawn to both, but for diffrent reasons.

Shawnee

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 07:14:46 pm »

For me it is the mountains and woods. I grew up in Appalachia then moved to Tacoma, WA, and finally back home to my beloved mountain.

Nothing can bring me peace like sitting on the ground among the trees. I try to do this at least twice a day more if I'm having a bad day.

Wood Rose, I really do miss Mt Rainier. When hubby and I moved to Tacoma with the AF, I was impressed by the mountain and still am.

Wood Rose

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 11:46:50 am »
Quote from: Shawnee;10289

Wood Rose, I really do miss Mt Rainier. When hubby and I moved to Tacoma with the AF, I was impressed by the mountain and still am.

No matter where I have lived, I always come back to The Mt. Even if I live on the east side of it.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 12:49:05 pm »
Quote from: Wood Rose;9915
I live for me in the perfect place. I am 15 min from Puget Sound, and a two hour drive to both the ocean and Mt Rainier. So depending on what I need I can head there.

I love the woods and the sounds the trees make when they talk to each other. I love the full moons light reflecting on the ocean waves (that is when it is not raining).

I'm another mt/forest-ocean/beach dual personality.

Put me in leafy-green deciduous woods, esp. with a stream nearby, and I go all Zen. Put me at the seashore, with the rhythmic sound of the surf (I like to think of it as the pulse of the Goddess), and I go all Zen too. I think in the first case I'm responding to the riot of life, the lush exuberance of living things; in the second, I think I'm responding more to the landscape itself, with its wide open vistas.

Maybe because of that, when I'm at the shore, I'm more keenly aware of the elements. Wide open sky above, stretches of dunes underfoot, the seemingly endless ocean before me, and the summer sun blazing makes me feel uniquely poised between all 4 elements. As an east/air-oriented guy, I feel esp. connected to air at the East Coast beaches I frequent, knowing that I'm as far east on the continent as I can go.

And I agree 100% about the sound of the wind through the trees. It is simultaneously utterly mundane and utterly profound, the deepest of magic.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

pomegranate

• View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/maryyall
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 04:00:47 am »
Quote from: Wood Rose;9915

I'm another Washingtonian. I think we live in the one of the most beautiful states in the whole US with such diverse settings. I can be at the ocean, mountains or forest in a fairly short trip. My personal favorite place to be would have to be on the banks of the Columbia River. My area is actually considered a desert and we mostly have hills, tumbleweeds and dust devils. My side of the river has a huge park directly next to it so it's truly amazing to sit under the stars and moon surrounded by the only nice greenery we have in the city and just feel the energy around me and feel at peace (I'm very high strung so that's pretty meaningful for me to be able to relax outside of my personal space) and get the best of both of those elements. So I would say it's pretty much a toss up for me between the two as well, but I do feel especially in tune with water even though I literally couldn't swim to save my life.

Miluna

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 05:51:20 am »

Forests and hillside/mountains really do it for me. I'm Scottish so it's really natural for me to be around those settings, and it gives me a real sense of my heritage and pagan roots. The smells, the sounds and the breeze really gives me a energy boost.

Water has the opposite affect thought. I'm not scared of water and I can swim, but being near the sea or a large body of water makes me feel physically sick.

Maybe it's because I'm such a fire person (born under a fire sign, patron god is a fire god etc) so it's pretty easy to see why I'd be inclined stay away from water. But like I said, I'm not scared but it just makes me uneasy and saps my energy. It also explains, being a fire person, why I'd be really okay around woods and hills (plus what I said about my heritage).

But yeah, bring me to the woodlands and I'll be happy as anything; bring me to water and I'll be sitting with a barge pole gap between me and the waterline.
My blog - An Open Flame

Tags: