collapse

Author Topic: Guilty Pleasure Movies  (Read 5969 times)

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
Guilty Pleasure Movies
« on: July 31, 2011, 04:58:14 pm »
What movies do you consider a guilty pleasure (as in you know it's terrible but you enjoy it anyway) and why?

Mine would have to be a movie called Vampire Clan which is based off the true story of Rod Ferrell.  It has bad acting (although the male lead is deliciously over-the-top in some scenes), bad dialog, and horrible editing.  The worse is probably the way the plot was set up being completely all over the place.  And despite that, I find it to not only be an enjoyable watch but also kind of (unintentionally) funny.  And the movie being based of an actual double homicide makes me feel uncomfortable when I laugh....

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

SlySionnach

• View Profile
Re: Guilty Pleasure Movies
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 05:33:26 pm »
Quote from: Melamphoros;9755
What movies do you consider a guilty pleasure (as in you know it's terrible but you enjoy it anyway) and why?

Mine would have to be a movie called Vampire Clan which is based off the true story of Rod Ferrell.  It has bad acting (although the male lead is deliciously over-the-top in some scenes), bad dialog, and horrible editing.  The worse is probably the way the plot was set up being completely all over the place.  And despite that, I find it to not only be an enjoyable watch but also kind of (unintentionally) funny.  And the movie being based of an actual double homicide makes me feel uncomfortable when I laugh....

I don't have any specific one, but I spent the entirety of my undergrad senior year watching terrible, terrible horror films. As in, going to Pathmark's dollar bin, York Entertainment Independent Films. I haven't seen them all, so I'm not saying all of them are bad, but there are just some that hold a warm place in my heart ( The Red Cell being a repeated viewing type of movie.)

Another that I've watched a few times and consider it to be one that I introduce my college friends to is Thankskilling. Bad acting and way over the top plot.

Starglade

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 06:25:23 pm »
Quote from: SlySionnach;9759

Another that I've watched a few times and consider it to be one that I introduce my college friends to is Thankskilling. Bad acting and way over the top plot.

O. M. G. That is the ONLY movie after which I turned to my husband and said, and I quote: "There's an hour and six minutes of my life I will never get back."

Gobble gobble, motherfucker.
"The Eightfold Path is sometimes called the pathless path. Each step brings a growing awareness that enlightenment is in the here and now--in the world and in our relationships as we read these words . . . now." -- Jonathan White
http://grammargeddon.com

SlySionnach

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 07:12:46 pm »
Quote from: Starglade;9770
O. M. G. That is the ONLY movie after which I turned to my husband and said, and I quote: "There's an hour and six minutes of my life I will never get back."

Gobble gobble, motherfucker.

I did the same thing after the first time. But I ended up going to a friend's house about a week later and she wanted to watch it. And again a few days later. I think it had just ended up on Netflix.

It ends up growing on you... Or I've lost my mind.

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 08:44:53 pm »

B-rated sci-fi movies. Any kind of 'em. I like the bad acting and the poor plotlines and making horrific fun of 'em. My mom and I would rent really bad movies just to sit down, paint our nails, and talk about what was going on in our lives. :D:
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 11:41:13 pm »

Most of the Harry Potter films.

They really suck as adaptations from books, and some of the earlier ones have some serious moments of "eeehhhhhgggggg" acting from some of the kids. I used to hate the movies, but they've grown on me. (I loved the last two; those were the best, in my opinion, both as films and as adaptations.)
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 10:12:53 am »

Disaster movies.  The worse they are, the more I like 'em.

When you can do a deathpool and cheer on the disaster and pick who's gonna bite it when.  Stuff like The Core - it's AWFUL, but it's great snarkbait.

Also fun is watching the miserable science and special effects in them.  There was one where I swear someone was being chased by bread dough.  great fun!

cwummel

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 01:06:55 pm »

Godzilla movies, Japanese not crappy American ones, are my biggest guilty pleasure.  I also enjoy a slew of campy sci-fi movies that should be flushed down the crapper.

Dark Midnight

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 01:13:33 pm »

I love films like Red Sonja, Conan, Flash Gordon, Beastmaster, etc. They are so cheesy, the dialogue is terrible but the costumes (or lack of them in some cases) are brilliant. You know what is about to happen, what the actors are going to say, but you can't stop watching and quoting along. They really cheer me up!
"No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy." (Melamphoros)
AKA Thundercougarfalconbird..... (Thanks Nyktipolos!)

treekisser

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 01:26:39 pm »

Fairytale retellings. Stuff like Ever After and Ella Enchanted. Although some of them, like Snow White: A Tale of Terror, I think are pretty good.

Also Disney. Self-explanatory.

Thorn

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 08:23:06 pm »

I'm known for taking unnatural delight in bad movies in general, but these are special:

Gothic.  This movie is spectacularly bad, in ways only an Ken Russell movie can be.  So why do I love it?  For one, I'm fascinated by the literature and the time period - I'd give anything for a chance to hang out with Byron and Shelley.  But the real reason for my love can be summed up in two words:  Gabriel Byrne.  Not saying he's any better in it than the rest of the cast, but he's still Gabriel Byrne.

Deathrace 2000.  The epitome of the painfully cheesy science fiction genre. Who wouldn't love a movie with lines like "If the scatter, go for the baby and the mother."  Unlike the equally giggle inducing Gothic, this movie knows its a comedy.  Except when it doesn't.  Extra points for being one of Stallone's first (and I'd argue his best) performances.

Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man.  Don Johnson and Mickey Rourke in a distopic version of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.  Again, what's not to love?  Though I'd argue that this one isn't actually bad - it's exactly what it's meant to be.  Plus, I seriously covet Rourke's motorcycle jacket.

Also have a weakness for the whole subgenre of occult/apocalyptic/black magic-ish films.  And high FX disaster movies.  If I can see an aircraft carrier crash into the capitol building, I'm a happy girl.
"Faith and and reason are the shoes on your feet.  You can travel further with both than you can with just one." - Babylon 5
Etsy * FB * Art Blog* Spritual Blog

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Guilty Pleasure Movies
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 06:26:19 am »
Quote from: Thorn;10476

Gothic.  This movie is spectacularly bad, in ways only an Ken Russell movie can be.

Either I have crappy taste, or else I was completely distracted from its "bad movie" qualities by an overwhelming sense of "OMFG!!! They really are sooooo Goth!!!"  Which is kind of the same thing; the characters may be over the top, the actors may be chewing the scenery in their representations of said characters, but you get that in the modern Goth community too, so it works.  (And from everything I know about the originals, it's not exactly a false representation of them, either.)

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

victoreia

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: disorganized something
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 04:20:14 pm »

Well, it's more T.V. mini-series, but V. The original, 1980s version. Diana was such a great villain!
Do. Or do not. There is no try.  --Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

We are star stuff. We are the universe, made manifest. --Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5

Mind how you go. -- Granny Weatherwax

Etheric1

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 06:56:21 pm »

Transformers: The Movie.  Not the recent ones, the animated one from 1984.  It's SOOOO bad!  But I thought it was incredible when I saw it as a kid.  The music is just EPIC 80s cheese metal!  Looking back, it had a rather impressive voice cast - Leonard Nimoy, Orson Wells, Judd Nelson, Eric Idle.

Ahhh Nostalgia.. :cool:
No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy. - Mel\'s Law of Dark Fluffs.
Nothing is more despicable than respect based on fear. – Albert Camus
You can easily judge the character of a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them. - unknown
“We cannot change our memories, but we can change their meaning and the power they have over us” - David Seamands

ComplicatedMe

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 01:52:08 am »
What movies do you consider a guilty pleasure (as in you know it's terrible but you enjoy it anyway)

I love horrible movies, and my especially guilty pleasure would be video games turned into movies (because they are usually horrible, or other cartoons they tried to turn into live action movies.... some stand outs being the old Street Fighter movie based off the video game with Jean-Claude in it, both the Mortal Kombat movies, and the Ninja Turtles movies (especially with Vanilla Ice in it. how could it not be a beautiful disaster!!)

Tags: