Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Books: What Are You Reading Now?  (Read 98934 times)

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
What Are You Reading Now?
« on: July 02, 2011, 11:06:28 pm »
Because someone had to restart this thread after the move.  What are you reading, how is it, and would you recommend it?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 11:16:41 am by RandallS »

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
Re: What Are You Reading Now?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 07:44:30 pm »
Quote from: Melamphoros;341
Because someone had to restart this thread after the move.  What are you reading, how is it, and would you recommend it?

I am reading Akhenaten and Tutankhamun: Revolution and Restoration by David P. Silverman. Still. The book is good and it moves fast. I'm glad I picked it up.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 07:47:34 pm »
Because someone had to restart this thread after the move.  What are you reading, how is it, and would you recommend it?

I'm working my through The Callahan Chronicles by Spider Robinson- it's not so much a novel as a compilation of (very) short stories centering around Callahan's, a bar. It's...well, I'm not big into science fiction. I don't love it, but it's had some good stuff. Though I really hate puns, and this is frakking full of them. (Not surprising, as it was my dad who lent it to me, and he is the pun king.)
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 12:45:26 am »

Hilda Ellis Davidson's the Myths and Symbols of Pagan Europe.  I like it so far.  I'm learning a lot.
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 01:06:00 am »

I'm on track to finish The Myth of Matriarchal Prehistory: Why an Invented Past Won't Give Women a Future by Cynthia Eller tonight.

I'm reading it for work on the ADF's Dedicant Path but have really enjoyed it so far. It examines and reviews the myth of prehistoric matriarchy and manages to be surprisingly even handed. While it's clear from the outset the author does not believe in the historical accuracy of the myth she takes pains to explain and outline why it's such a powerful myth and how it has been woven into feminist spirituality and feminist movements.

She doesn't discount the power of the myth but rather the reality of it and also focuses on the inherent problems of it as regards sectioning gender and defining women via inherent femininity and the dichotomy that sets up regarding men and equality.

Mirchea

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 01:30:51 am »
Because someone had to restart this thread after the move. What are you reading, how is it, and would you recommend it?

Er...I feel a bit low class compared to what everyone else is reading! I just cracked open A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin, so I can't really say how it is yet, but the series in general, or at least the first two books, is amazing. Definately worth a read! It's extremely involved and convoluted, and the best part for me is that it's not your standard good-guy bad-guy, good-guy-always-wins fantasy book. You can't tell who's going to win, some characters are 'bad' people but are cast in sympathetic light, some characters have 'goodly' motivations but are horrible people...

...It's amazing. That's about all I can say.

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 01:41:07 am »
Quote from: Mirchea;573
Er...I feel a bit low class compared to what everyone else is reading! I just cracked open A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin, so I can't really say how it is yet, but the series in general, or at least the first two books, is amazing. Definately worth a read! It's extremely involved and convoluted, and the best part for me is that it's not your standard good-guy bad-guy, good-guy-always-wins fantasy book. You can't tell who's going to win, some characters are 'bad' people but are cast in sympathetic light, some characters have 'goodly' motivations but are horrible people...

:D Not low class at all! I'm trying to finish a Feast of Crows by the 12th so I can jump right into Dragons!

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 01:41:44 am »
Quote from: Mirchea;573
...and the best part for me is that it's not your standard good-guy bad-guy, good-guy-always-wins fantasy book. You can't tell who's going to win, some characters are 'bad' people but are cast in sympathetic light, some characters have 'goodly' motivations but are horrible people...

This is why High Fantasy (and quite a bit of the other subgenres) in general turns me off.  I can handle books with magic, dragons, and various other supernatural creatures.  But black and white morality just breaks my suspension of disbelief beyond repair.

(I have read the first book of that series but I haven't gotten around to the others.  Mainly because I tend to favor shorter books -- such as Discworld -- these days).

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 01:44:07 am »
Quote from: Melamphoros;575
This is why High Fantasy (and quite a bit of the other subgenres) in general turns me off.  I can handle books with magic, dragons, and various other supernatural creatures.  But black and white morality just breaks my suspension of disbelief beyond repair.

(I have read the first book of that series but I haven't gotten around to the others.  Mainly because I tend to favor shorter books -- such as Discworld -- these days).

You should seriously read the second, imo it's one of the best fantasy series around. While the first book has some of the inevitable fantasy tropes - I'm assuming largely to get the story across and bring the readers into the world - the second pretty much sets the first on its ear. Really great stuff :)

Thorn

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 02:04:56 am »
Quote from: Juni;494
I'm working my through The Callahan Chronicles by Spider Robinson- it's not so much a novel as a compilation of (very) short stories centering around Callahan's, a bar. It's...well, I'm not big into science fiction. I don't love it, but it's had some good stuff. Though I really hate puns, and this is frakking full of them. (Not surprising, as it was my dad who lent it to me, and he is the pun king.)

Wait - you're reading Callahan and you hate puns?  Are you a masochist?  

My sweetie is a huge fan of those books and, after hearing about them for years, I finally got around to reading them all a few months ago.  I really enjoyed them, but then I like puns.  (If I didn't, I'd have gone mad living with the aforementioned sweetie this long.  Your dad has a challenger for the throne.)

I'm between books at the moment.  Colleen McCullogh's First Man in Rome has been sitting on my nightstand for quite awhile, but haven't gotten very far into it.  Nice historical novel, but it's quite a commitment on it's own and on top of that it's the first in a series of, like, 800 books.  (OK, maybe I exaggerate a little, there...)
"Faith and and reason are the shoes on your feet.  You can travel further with both than you can with just one." - Babylon 5
Etsy * FB * Art Blog* Spritual Blog

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 03:20:28 am »

Just started my second (or third? Can't remember) read-through of Kushiel's Avatar by Jacqueline Carey. I think by far it's the darkest book of the series (fills the Nightmare Fuel trope very well). It's also, IMHO, the book that does the most travelling, save for when you get into the new series by her (those books start with Naamah rather than Kushiel).

I'm not entirely sure it's my favourite (Kushiel's Dart, the first book in the series, is) but I really can't highly recommend Jacqueline Carey's first trilogy enough.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

victoreia

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: disorganized something
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 05:23:15 am »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;584

I'm currently re-re-reading Monstrous Regiment, mainly because I didn't manage to get to the library before it closed for the holiday weekend. (Bloody budget cuts!)

After that, whatever I can find, until I can go to the library next Saturday. (The closest one to me closes at five p.m. on most weekdays; that being right when I get off work, well.....)
Do. Or do not. There is no try.  --Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

We are star stuff. We are the universe, made manifest. --Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5

Mind how you go. -- Granny Weatherwax

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 11:22:39 am »
Quote from: Thorn;579
Wait - you're reading Callahan and you hate puns?  Are you a masochist?  

My sweetie is a huge fan of those books and, after hearing about them for years, I finally got around to reading them all a few months ago.  I really enjoyed them, but then I like puns.  (If I didn't, I'd have gone mad living with the aforementioned sweetie this long.  Your dad has a challenger for the throne.)

Quite possibly. Or my dad is a sadist; one or the other. At any rate, he wanted me to read it, and I said I would, so I am. I'm looking forward to it being over, I'll be honest!
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 11:50:57 am »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;584
Just started my second (or third? Can't remember) read-through of Kushiel's Avatar by Jacqueline Carey. I think by far it's the darkest book of the series (fills the Nightmare trope very well). It's also, IMHO, the book that does the most travelling, save for when you get into the new series by her (those books start with Naamah rather than Kushiel).

I'm not entirely sure it's my favourite (Kushiel's Dart, the first book in the series, is) but I really can't highly recommend Jacqueline Carey's first trilogy enough.

I just couldn't get into her books. I tried, diligently, but it just never worked out for me.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Mirchea

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 03:56:36 pm »
Quote from: Melamphoros;575
This is why High Fantasy (and quite a bit of the other subgenres) in general turns me off. I can handle books with magic, dragons, and various other supernatural creatures. But black and white morality just breaks my suspension of disbelief beyond repair.

(I have read the first book of that series but I haven't gotten around to the others. Mainly because I tend to favor shorter books -- such as Discworld -- these days).

They ARE terribly long books - it took me about a month to get through the second, though granted I hardly had any time to read during that period! If you have the time/patience, I'd definately encourage you to get into them again. They're very absorbing, though, so I wouldn't recommend you read them before, say, and important meeting you can't miss...because you'll probably miss it. :P

Unless you have godly willpower and can tear yourself away in the middle of a chapter. Which I can't.

I'd like to read Discworld. I've heard good things about it, but I can't seem to find it at the library. :(

Tags: