Last Online
    21 Jul 2013 @ 10:30 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Kemetic Pagan, Kemetic Orthodox member

Re: Broken Statues

Quote Originally Posted by Carnelian View Post
    Has anyone had experiences like this when an idol they use breaks? I'm wondering if I should just get a new statue, or if the one I have is still acceptable.
    Recently, i performed my first Opening of the Mouth ceremony. I hold true that the statue, after being Opened, is a place where the deity can enter freely, when called upon. Were it to split in two, personally I would bury the statue and have it replaced. I've got this feeling that.. my deity wouldn't be able to inhabit the statue again, or enter it fully, you know? That's my opinion on it, at least.

Master Member Achievements:
    Three Friends1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Devo is on a distinguished road Devo's Avatar
    Last Online
    6 Sep 2014 @ 09:04 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Kemetic Shinto Blend

Quote Originally Posted by Inucirrus View Post
    Recently, i performed my first Opening of the Mouth ceremony. I hold true that the statue, after being Opened, is a place where the deity can enter freely, when called upon. Were it to split in two, personally I would bury the statue and have it replaced. I've got this feeling that.. my deity wouldn't be able to inhabit the statue again, or enter it fully, you know? That's my opinion on it, at least.
    That makes sense, but not all statues are open, which I think is something that needs to be taken into account.

What ritual/book/resource did you use to Open the Mouth of your statue?

-Devo
    dA | FB | LJ | WP

Apprentice Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Inucirrus is on a distinguished road Inucirrus's Avatar
    Last Online
    21 Jul 2013 @ 10:30 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Kemetic Pagan, Kemetic Orthodox member

Quote Originally Posted by Devo View Post
    That makes sense, but not all statues are open, which I think is something that needs to be taken into account.

What ritual/book/resource did you use to Open the Mouth of your statue?

-Devo
    True, though I still think that if you have a statue, whether Open or not, a deity could be channeled through it.. If it were broken, at least the energy associated with it would somehow be... broken? fractured? I personally wouldn't be comfortable with it.

This is the book I mainly followed, though guidance from other people and websites were consulted ^-^; Still rather new, still gathering information to use.
    http://www.isisbooks.com/images/0738704385.jpg
    Last edited by Inucirrus; 13 Aug 2011 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Grammar/sentence structure

Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Kemetic Shinto Blend

True, though I still think that if you have a statue, whether Open or not, a deity could be channeled through it.. If it were broken, at least the energy associated with it would somehow be... broken? fractured? I personally wouldn't be comfortable with it.

This is the book I mainly followed, though guidance from other people and websites were consulted ^-^; Still rather new, still gathering information to use.

I think it depends on the god, and their preferences, honestly. If my Set statue broke, I'd probably be required to get a new one. But I have a few other statues that have been broke, and the deities didn't care. So I think it's case by case basis.

I've read that book. Not very recon, which raises concerns for me about opening a statue. I question if people understand the gravity of having an open statue when books of that nature are the source. But to each their own.

-Devo
    dA | FB | LJ | WP

Banned Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsThree Friends1 year registered
    monsnoleedra is on a distinguished road monsnoleedra's Avatar
    Last Online
    5 Sep 2012 @ 05:10 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Shamanic & Green/hedge Witchcraft

I think it depends on the god, and their preferences, honestly. If my Set statue broke, I'd probably be required to get a new one. But I have a few other statues that have been broke, and the deities didn't care. So I think it's case by case basis.

I've read that book. Not very recon, which raises concerns for me about opening a statue. I question if people understand the gravity of having an open statue when books of that nature are the source. But to each their own.

-Devo
    I wonder if the Egyptian gods / goddess really think that much about thier statuary. If one looks to the various dynasties it was common practice to deface statuary and redo them with new ruler names upon them. Heck look at Pahket - Bastet - Sehkmet their statuary was always being changed, especially in regards to having a cat head or lion head upon the human figure.

I do agree about having "Open" statues though, especially given that nothing says the divinity they are open for watches them all the time. Myself I do not open them except during ritual then close them, but that is just me.

Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Kemetic Shinto Blend

Quote Originally Posted by monsnoleedra View Post
    I wonder if the Egyptian gods / goddess really think that much about thier statuary. If one looks to the various dynasties it was common practice to deface statuary and redo them with new ruler names upon them. Heck look at Pahket - Bastet - Sehkmet their statuary was always being changed, especially in regards to having a cat head or lion head upon the human figure.

I do agree about having "Open" statues though, especially given that nothing says the divinity they are open for watches them all the time. Myself I do not open them except during ritual then close them, but that is just me.
    Yes, many statues were changed and altered to reflect the reigning king. But I don't know that most of the major statues were open- which is the distinction I'm making (which I believe you address in your second paragraph).

I was unaware that a statue could be formally opened (as they did in antiquity) and then closed again like that. Perhaps it is a newer practice, and not the one that they used 'way back'? Opening a statue in AE wasn't something to take lightly, and wasn't a wham bam type of ritual. Took quite a bit of time, AFAICT.

-Devo
    dA | FB | LJ | WP

Banned Achievements:
    Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion

Yes, many statues were changed and altered to reflect the reigning king. But I don't know that most of the major statues were open- which is the distinction I'm making (which I believe you address in your second paragraph).

I was unaware that a statue could be formally opened (as they did in antiquity) and then closed again like that. Perhaps it is a newer practice, and not the one that they used 'way back'? Opening a statue in AE wasn't something to take lightly, and wasn't a wham bam type of ritual. Took quite a bit of time, AFAICT.

-Devo
    Now I know a temple or sanctuary figure was opened and from some of the things I've read took up to years to fully open. But those I think were almost always located in the inner most sanctum and open only to high level priests / priestess. Yet the outer sanctum and garden figures I though were open and closed with the rituals and some what open to the public.

Though I also think it had to do with the sense that the inner sanctum statuary was deemed to be filled at all times though the statue might be deemed asleep when not being used (not the word I want but I'm drawing a blank at the moment).

I do think that some of the temples sold figurerines that were blessed and breathed into to give them life. I vaguely recall such items being sold at Baubusta (sp) for Bastet that also served as blessings and were buried with the cat mummies. Yet some were also possibly host bodies for the spirits of the mummified cats.

Senior Master Member Achievements:
    Created Album picturesThree FriendsYour first GroupTagger First Class5000 Experience Points
    SatSekhem is on a distinguished road SatSekhem's Avatar
    Last Online
    23 Apr 2013 @ 07:31 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Recon-Slanted Kemetic; Solitary Voodooist

That book is more Kemetic Wicca than anything else. And, honestly, I wasn't impressed with the rituals she has laid out.
    Religious Blog
    Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Kemetic Shinto Blend

Quote Originally Posted by monsnoleedra View Post
    Now I know a temple or sanctuary figure was opened and from some of the things I've read took up to years to fully open. But those I think were almost always located in the inner most sanctum and open only to high level priests / priestess. Yet the outer sanctum and garden figures I though were open and closed with the rituals and some what open to the public.

Though I also think it had to do with the sense that the inner sanctum statuary was deemed to be filled at all times though the statue might be deemed asleep when not being used (not the word I want but I'm drawing a blank at the moment).

I do think that some of the temples sold figurerines that were blessed and breathed into to give them life. I vaguely recall such items being sold at Baubusta (sp) for Bastet that also served as blessings and were buried with the cat mummies. Yet some were also possibly host bodies for the spirits of the mummified cats.
    Yes, the inner sanctum of a temple housed the open statue. But that statue is always opened. Once opened, AFAIK, it can't technically be closed. Now, I know that KO has ways to close their state shrines (and therefore the open statues within them) but whether that is an ancient practice or not, I don't know- and what happens to the statues in those shrines is beyond me as well. As of this point, I have never read of a statue being opened and closed regularly- as though it were a light switch. Sure, the god who has been invited into that statue could choose not to show up- but that doesn't mean that the statue was be turned off at the end of the rite. The god is in control for this, not us.

I have never heard of open statues being sold to people. I've heard of amulets, and things that were blessed, but not open statues. However, I can't say that I know a lot about that.

-Devo
    dA | FB | LJ | WP

Banned Achievements:
    Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion

Yes, the inner sanctum of a temple housed the open statue. But that statue is always opened. Once opened, AFAIK, it can't technically be closed. Now, I know that KO has ways to close their state shrines (and therefore the open statues within them) but whether that is an ancient practice or not, I don't know- and what happens to the statues in those shrines is beyond me as well. As of this point, I have never read of a statue being opened and closed regularly- as though it were a light switch. Sure, the god who has been invited into that statue could choose not to show up- but that doesn't mean that the statue was be turned off at the end of the rite. The god is in control for this, not us.

I have never heard of open statues being sold to people. I've heard of amulets, and things that were blessed, but not open statues. However, I can't say that I know a lot about that.

-Devo
    Main ones I have read reference to were those that were used for annual or semi-annual ceremonies and rituals. They would have life blown into them and open them up for the duration of the ceremony / ritual then closed after the event ended. But in retrospect I am now not so sure it was opening them for each usage or purifying and cleansing them for each usage. It is quite possible those were inner sanctum items that were brough out for the rituals then returned until the following year.

The main ones I can think of sold to the public would be the cat figurines that are associated to Bastet and Pahket. Most times buried with the mummified cats, but like I said I vaguely recall those being open to receive the spirit of the cat (Sorry don't recall if it is the Ba, the Ra or ib that was supposed to go into it).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast