Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Author Topic: What Are Your Craft Tools?  (Read 3518 times)

CozyWitch

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
What Are Your Craft Tools?
« on: July 29, 2011, 10:16:07 pm »
What tools do you use within your Craft? What are their purposes?

I use the besom (broom) for spiritual cleansings and protections, the witch's blade (athame) to direct/cut/contain energy, the sickle to cast the compass (circle), the cauldron to burn items in, tarot cards/runes/scrying mirror for divination, candles, herbs, grimore to contain magical writ, incense, poppet dolls, talismans, and materials to make/perform the workings.

Since we're on the topic of tools . . . what tools do those following traditional witchcraft, hoodoo, and folk magic differ from that of Wicca?

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Re: What Are Your Craft Tools?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 10:45:28 pm »
Quote from: CozyWitch;9354
What tools do you use within your Craft? What are their purposes? ..

I use a Samuari Sword for the elements of fire and earth.  I also use the short Hara Kiri Sword for the same purpose but in closer quarters.  Both swords are enblazened with Dragons upon blade and sheath as the dragon is the spiritual guide upon my pathway and influence.

I use a staff for the Standing and Green Peoples.  I use it to summon the elements or align me to the green people.  I also use various cones (Pine, Hemlock, Spruce, etc), leaves, flowers or bark.  Many times found as I go to the site then left afterwards to return to the forest or land to be used.

I use water (lake, pond or bowl) as a scrying source or magic mirror.  Given that water is my primary element I also use it to calm, center, project or as a base from which I work.  I also use water to connected to the finned people and aquatic peoples to call upon or work with thier medicine.

I typically will use feathers for the element of air and also to connected to the winged peoples.  Many times the feather I use will be which ever one I happen to find as I go into the woods and walk until I find the spot to do what ever it is I am being pulled to do.  Sometimes Raptor feathers, other times Turkey, Herron type feathers or just small birds such as Blue Jays, Cardinals, Ravens or Crows.

For the two legs and four legs I a couple of small rodent skulls, a few antlers or bones.  If a specific one many times i'll find a place where they bed down, a place where they come for water or hibernate to connect to thier specific medicine.  If I do not have a physical item from them I'll use something that represents them, carving, statuary, picture, etc.

On occasion I will make Corn Dollies, Poppets, various constructs depending upon my need and purpose.  When I do I try to touch the Manitou of each or breathe life into it for my need.

I tend not to use a caldron as I use a raised altar when I make offerings to celestial divinities or a shallow depression in the earth when I make offerings to Chthonic divinities.

Other things that just happen to call to me or present themselves to me and I "Just Know" I will need them for what ever I am doing.

For divination I haven't used tarot cards in years though I still get imagery of them at times.  For fun i'll sometimes still use regular playing cards or even a ouija board or other talking board.  Most times though I scrye upon the third eye and allow the images or messages to be played before my minds eye.

Auress

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 12:34:52 am »

I use the besom (broom) for spiritual cleansings and protections, the witch's blade (athame) to direct/cut/contain energy, the sickle to cast the compass (circle), the cauldron to burn items in, tarot cards/runes/scrying mirror for divination, candles, herbs, grimore to contain magical writ, incense, poppet dolls, talismans, and materials to make/perform the workings.

Since we're on the topic of tools . . . what tools do those following traditional witchcraft, hoodoo, and folk magic differ from that of Wicca?

Candles and fire and incense. That's pretty much the extent of it. I have a mortar and pestle, but I use that for kitchen/culinary witchery and not for other things. I pretty much can make sweeping my floors into witchcraft just by focusing on intent and chanting and such. In the past I've tried to own tool and have found that I either didn't use them, or they draw unnecessary attention to me. The only thing that might change about this would be for offerings, like water and such, but it wouldn't be a specific chalice or anything.

For instance, my mother came to help me after I had major surgery in 2009. Her "help" involved destroying my entire living room seasonal "Earth" centered altar and reprimanding me for keeping my "filet knife" in the living room. It taught me to be firm in telling people to leave the things in the room alone, AND, not to own ritual knives.

In my practice, the important things are fire, candles and incense. And my own voice and brain. And maybe my spice rack. :D:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 12:37:15 am by Auress »

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 08:52:52 am »

I'm another of the candles-and-incense lot. I can't buy an actual knife before I'm 18, so I use a letter opener to direct energy and cast circles. I have a pretty wineglass set aside for offerings, though it doesn't live on my altar. I have a few crystals, including a rune set, but haven't done much with them so far.
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 07:05:19 pm »

Whatever comes handiest for what I need to do at that particular moment. I'm pretty much at the "catch-as-catch-can" stage in my spiritual life.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

horse

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 07:37:47 am »

First and foremost are my inner tools, my intention and focus.  

As for the tangible, SALT!!  I always have salt on hand to create working space.  I'll also use it to cleanse instruments between stages, if necessary.  I always have a 'focus' or 'center', usually one of my pentacles, although I have several other discs for more specialized purposes.  I usually have my materials fairly well prepared, so I don't have to go chopping or grating with my blade.  Generally, my blade, if used, is more of a mixing spoon than a cutting instrument!  (It's a bit dull)  I have several cauldrons; one is a cauldron/ firepot for fiery spells, another is a cauldron/ waterpot for watery spells and the other is just sort of a mixing bowl.  I also keep a pen and 'ink'pot handy as well (the composition of the 'ink' can vary!).  I generally use shells to hold loose materials.  Other than that, it's just your basic materials and ingredients: metals, oils, powders, plant and animal parts, textiles, minerals, etc.  Most of these are found in daily life and squirreled away for future use.

I use different items for worship/ ritual.

horse
horse :)

AthenaiiseSofia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://finnblack.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 08:59:37 pm »

I use have an athame and a wooden spoon (for rememberance, i know it seems silly) but I only use them every so often. I use my special fan to fan away energies. I love my candles and incense, and also my oil burner. I have a vast array of stones, and I used to use them all the time, but not so much any more. I have 20 herb vials, and I probably use them the most. I like using them in offerings, but if I'm doing a spell or ritual involving a specific intent (healing, luck, etc) then I sprinkle them into a candle. So far, this has worked wonders for me.
"Go then and make of the world something beautiful, set up a light in the darkness." - from Awakening Osiris by Normandi Ellis

Liadine (dragonflyeyes)

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 03:45:48 am »

I don't use many dedicated tools - what I do is both fairly practical and integrated into the rest of my life, so buying separate tools when I'm saving for other things isn't on the top of my priority list, and I don't have a problem cutting herbs with a knife I'll later use to make dinner.

What I do have is:
- A mortar and pestle (from a garbage sale and painted with garlic, but it works) and a small marble bowl filled with sand I use to burn incense
- Four different essential oil diffusers (I work at a store that sells them, so I've ended up collecting them)
- Countless candle holders
- Three tarot decks and an oracle deck

Plus things I don't quite classify as tools:
- About 40 different bottles of essential oils
- Two boxes of dried herbs
- All the candles >.> all of them >.>
- Various other things (stones, stick incense and so on)
We owe it to each other to tell stories [Neil Gaiman]
night's a good herd [my religious tumblr]

BlueCat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 07:42:35 pm »

Oh, I've lost alot over the years :(
Used to have a bodrhan for shamanic work, an athame, sword etc but ive moved house so many times and had the ex-bf faeries working their mischief, so, no more :( That and i've ran out of herbs/stones/most candles...

Currently still have my Grimoire, candlestands, ouija board, altarcloths, a couple candles and two sets of tarot, aswell as my own fine self :)

IMO, intent, concentration and visualisation is more important than the goods  though

spoOk

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 10:11:55 pm »
Quote from: BlueCat;31691
Oh, I've lost alot over the years :(
Used to have a bodrhan for shamanic work, an athame, sword etc but ive moved house so many times and had the ex-bf faeries working their mischief, so, no more :( That and i've ran out of herbs/stones/most candles...

Currently still have my Grimoire, candlestands, ouija board, altarcloths, a couple candles and two sets of tarot, aswell as my own fine self :)

IMO, intent, concentration and visualisation is more important than the goods  though

alot of my bits and peices are practical: a knife I've set aside for carving my candles and cleaning gunk out of candle holders,a tiny cauldron for burning things in,a bottle for holding moon blessed water,a huge collection of incenses,candles,cotton strings etc.
recently I got a mortar and pestil(orange and black and cast iron,yey)
chalk as well.

less practical: my tarot cards and all the bits n bobs I use to identify the four elements/corners....a plastic pumpkin full of graveyard dirt for earth,a plastic bat and toy vulture for air,a red plastic figurine of a demonic horned,winged horse...lol...for south. and west has a small symbolic wooden paddle from a native design,plus I keep my water and drink offerings to the west ,my salt to the north,my incense to the east and my matches to the south.

tool wise that's as close as I get everything else is ingredients or merely brought into the equation as needed,like bowls and cups and plates.

I used to have a wand but it's been at a friends place for a few yrs now and I never used it to draw my circles much anyhow....I have hands for that.
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

Fagan_the_Pagan

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 12:43:35 am »
Quote from: Chatelaine;9884
I'm another of the candles-and-incense lot. I can't buy an actual knife before I'm 18, so I use a letter opener to direct energy and cast circles. I have a pretty wineglass set aside for offerings, though it doesn't live on my altar. I have a few crystals, including a rune set, but haven't done much with them so far.

Candles are my most important tool.  It is the only physical thing Brighid specifically asked me to honor her with.  She likes me to give her poetry, though.  Other tools I use include incense, my Athame, a chalice, and whatever I can find to represent earth.  Sometimes this is a stone or a rune, but lately I have been using a bowl my father made out of local clay.  I sometimes use a wand, or use a Celtic leaf-bladed sword in place of the athame.
(/|\\)  Fire in the Head: My Blog on Matters Spiritual, Political, or otherwise important to me.
Bardistry Wandworks: My Etsy shop for wands, athames, and other pagan crafts.

Tamina

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 10:49:17 am »

Right now? I've got candles and a lighter. Some sage and cleansing oil. That's pretty much it.

xx_eclipse

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 05:56:55 pm »
What tools do you use within your Craft?

Usually what I have on hand: lots of candles, matches, honey, cinnamon, Florida water, and kraft paper. We also have an endless stash of dried egg shell, and 3 kings charcoal.

I had to get rid of my Wicca things a few years ago- don't remember exactly why. I was able to keep my tarot cards and a few talismans. I like the baraja better, so I don't use them as much.

My favorite X-Acto knife blade comes in handy often for carving or leveling candles.

Ribbons galor. Usually for my hair, sometimes for spells or offerings.

sparrow

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 06:27:41 pm »

I've used a whole bunch of things in my practice. Candles, incense, candles, sage, candles.... :D:

I have some things that I found outside from different places that I use. I have these big granite rocks that I set up around my ritual space that I've found help me ground and concentrate (don't ask me why, I just know it works for me!). A few crystals, a symbolic marker for each of the elements, various appropriate herbs, etc.

I've also used a little model horse to represent my horse when I was doing a spell concerning her (it helped me remember to do what I was supposed to do each day for a three day spell, and it helped me concentrate), and in my dedication ritual I used some knot magic with ribbons.

I kind of use what works at the time, or nothing at all. I don't think you need to have any tools at all, but it helps me and my scattered brain sometimes. :)

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 09:03:47 pm »
Quote from: Nuri;10490
I use have an athame and a wooden spoon (for rememberance, i know it seems silly)
Hell, nothing silly about that.  
I'm the head chef of the house-- cook more than my wife does-- and I always use a wooden spoon for something.  I figure there's enough intent and will channeled through my spoons by now that they'd make excellent wands!!  :p

As for tools, I have the usual Wicc-ish tool box.  Only a couple were bought with the intent of being dedicated tools- tarot decks, athame, pentacle.  The remainder are practical, being improvised and re-purposed from ordinary daily use items (and some thrift store finds).  
(And right now I'm seriously thinking of a spoon-to-wand project.)  :D:

You should see my spice cabinet.  One shelf is for kitchen spices, the second for incenses, herbs, and oils.  The third (top shelf) holds a can of coffee and a 9mm pistol; I am a practical and prepared Witch.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 09:06:17 pm by MadZealot »
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Tags: