Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:04:14 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 06:56:16 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Yei
[Today at 06:56:00 pm]

Author Topic: Food: Butter and Bread!  (Read 3774 times)

BunnyMaz

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Butter and Bread!
« on: July 29, 2011, 12:58:19 pm »
Home made butter is one of the easiest things to make, and it's pretty good exercise, too!  I find it a great activity when I'm with my nieces, because it requires no cooking and gives them something they can take home with them.

You will need;
1 carton of double cream, allowed to sit at room temperature for a little while
1 screw-top jar with double the capacity of the carton of cream
1 fine sieve
1 bowl
greaseproof paper
pinch salt

Pour the cream into the jar and screw tightly shut.  Tip upside down to ensure there are no leaks around the lid.  Once you are sure it is securely shut, start shaking the jar.  Shake it, roll it along the floor, dance with it, just move it as hard and fast as you can and keep going.  You may need to keep it moving for up to half an hour, so if you tire easily it is a good idea to have another person so you can take turns. 

The cream will go through stages as you shake it.  First it will thicken, then it will seem to fill the jar with thick, whipped cream.  Gradually, the whipped  cream with start to congeal and will thicken.  Eventually, the cream will separate out into a lump of butter sitting in whey, or buttermilk.

Set the sieve over the bowl and empty the contents of the jar into it.  Pour the whey from the bowl back into the jar and refridgerate, as it can be used to make bread.  With clean, cold, wet hands, or a pair of spatulas, massage the butter ball to work any remaining whey out of it.  Rinse the ball lightly, then put in the bowl and, if you want it to keep, beat in a tiny, TINY pinch of salt.  Take a sheet of greaseproof paper and, greased side upwards, place the butter on it and shape the butter pat into a long roll, or several smaller ones on their own, smaller, sheets.  Roll the pats up in the paper to form a tube and tie or fold and stick the open ends.  If you are making several smaller rolls, you may want to coat one in herbs, another in chilli flakes, one in dried garlic flakes, to make flavoured butters.

The whey can be used to make bread - simply substitute whey for the same amount of water in the recipe and bake as usual.  The resulting loaf will be vastly superior to a loaf made only with water, and the dough does not need as long to rise.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 01:50:14 pm by RandallS »

Marilyn/Absentminded

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Butter and Bread!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 04:51:37 pm »
Quote from: BunnyMaz;9253

My mother-in-law was a Mennonite with 8 kids.  She wasn't totally Old Colony; they had electricity and a t.v. which was very rarely turned on.  When her kids wanted to watch it she would hand them a jar of shmont (I'm not sure how to spell that) which sounds like the equivalent of your double cream.  They could watch t.v. as long as they were busy making butter - no idle hands in that house!

Absent
I smile when I\'m angry.  I cheat and I lie
I do what I have to do to get by
But I know what is wrong, and I know what is right
And I die for the truth in my secret life

In My Secret Life, L. Cohen

BunnyMaz

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 03:54:41 pm »
Quote from: Marilyn/Absentminded;9292
My mother-in-law was a Mennonite with 8 kids.  She wasn't totally Old Colony; they had electricity and a t.v. which was very rarely turned on.  When her kids wanted to watch it she would hand them a jar of shmont (I'm not sure how to spell that) which sounds like the equivalent of your double cream.  They could watch t.v. as long as they were busy making butter - no idle hands in that house!

Absent

Ah, fun!  I would make it more often, if I thought there was a chance I'd ever eat all of it.  I do tend to make a load towards the end of the harvest season and in preparation for Yule.  The neighbours and a few family members get little gift parcels of homemade foodie treats, and so far they haven't complained :D

Larix

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 10:02:47 pm »
Quote from: BunnyMaz;9984
Ah, fun!  I would make it more often, if I thought there was a chance I'd ever eat all of it.  I do tend to make a load towards the end of the harvest season and in preparation for Yule.  The neighbours and a few family members get little gift parcels of homemade foodie treats, and so far they haven't complained :D

So butter and bread ist not just simply butter & bread?

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 11:13:07 pm »
Quote from: Larix;164031
So butter and bread ist not just simply butter & bread?

Hi, Larix,

I notice you've been reviving a large number of older threads, often to reply to people who haven't been on TC in quite some time. (F'ex, this thread is over three years old, and has only two participants, one of whom has not been logged into TC in nearly two years, and the other of whom died about a year and a half ago.)

It's fine to revive threads that you would like to see more discussion on the topic of (though it's often better to start a new thread, perhaps linking to the old one). But re-starting a conversation works better if you have something of substance to add to the convo, or questions directed generally rather than to a particular person who hasn't been around and isn't likely to be.

If what you have in mind is not reviving that particular topic, but engaging in conversation with other members of TC, it's even more relevant to be sure that you're conversing with currently active members.

All posts have date/time stamps on them that you can check, to see if it's an older thread (if you found a thread from the list of similar threads at the bottom of another thread, it's very often quite an old thread). If it is an old thread, and there's a particular person you want to respond to, you can click on their username and, either from their profile or their posts, determine whether they've been active recently or not.

If you're using Tapatalk to access TC from a mobile device, you should still be able to see datestamps on posts. Checking whether a person has been active recently is a bit trickier, but can be done.

This isn't a formal warning, nor even a reminder notice, since it's not a rules issue; it's just advice (which I hope is helpful advice) on how to post more effectively.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
Sunflower, TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Larix

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 12:11:17 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;164037

No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

It was just the topic  I was interested in.

My question was not directed to any special person.

It was just directed to anyone who may read it -and may give me an answer.

Greetings from Larix :)

Tags: