Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Book Reviews on Traditional Witchcraft, Hoodoo, and Folk Magic  (Read 5177 times)

CozyWitch

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Okay, I haven't seen this thread here on this forum . . .

What are some good books that you would recommend to those who are following a non-Wiccan, non-New Age path?

What are some good books that contain spells that are a worthwhile read? What books contain valuable information that can assist a witch in developing their Craft? What books do you consider "non-Fluffy"? What books are not for the faint-hearted?

I have read Judika Illes "The Encyclopedia of 5,000 Spells" (aka "The Element Encyclopedia of 5,000 Spells). Even if it's stuff that should not be attempted or can sound a little bizzare, it is definitely a good read.

What do you recommend?

Wood Rose

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Book Reviews on Traditional Witchcraft, Hoodoo, and Folk Magic
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 12:15:08 pm »
Quote from: CozyWitch;9202

What are some good books that you would recommend to those who are following a non-Wiccan, non-New Age path?

What are some good books that contain spells that are a worthwhile read? What books contain valuable information that can assist a witch in developing their Craft? What books do you consider "non-Fluffy"? What books are not for the faint-hearted?

I have read Judika Illes "The Encyclopedia of 5,000 Spells" (aka "The Element Encyclopedia of 5,000 Spells). Even if it's stuff that should not be attempted or can sound a little bizzare, it is definitely a good read.

What do you recommend?

Drawing Down the Moon by Margot Adler
Witches by Hans Holzer
The White Goddess by Robert Graves

The White Goddess is not an easy read nor is about witchcraft it is just a wonderful book that looks at the myth from a poetic cultural anthorpology way.

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 04:36:39 pm »

On hoodoo:

catherine yronwode's online book "Hoodoo in Theory and Practice: An Introduction to African-American Rootwork", as well as her physical book "Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic: A Materia Magica of African-American Conjure".
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Bugscuttle

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 06:48:01 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;9289
On hoodoo:

catherine yronwode's online book "Hoodoo in Theory and Practice: An Introduction to African-American Rootwork", as well as her physical book "Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic: A Materia Magica of African-American Conjure".

I just ordered the Herb magic book - can't wait to see it!

BlyssfulWitch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 02:04:13 pm »

What are some good books that you would recommend to those who are following a non-Wiccan, non-New Age path?  What do you recommend?

I enjoyed Paul Huson's "Mastering Witchcraft". Although it's not completely in alignment with my path, it's still a pretty good read. I also enjoyed Sybil Leek's "Diary of a Witch". :)

stitchinwith

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 11:00:12 am »

What do you recommend?

Visual Magic by Jan Fries is a good read, so too is Energy Essentials for Witches and Spellcasters by Mya Om. I downloaded pdf of Visual Magick, and used Amazon to purchase Energy Essentials - and this book really helped me to understand the forethought required before, during and after spell casting.

As I am currently researching Chaos Magick, I have been reading authors such as Carroll and Hine.  Definitely a non-fluffy genre.

Marilyn/Absentminded

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 04:09:31 pm »
Quote from: stitchinwith;43014

Definitely a non-fluffy genre.

Except when the fluffy paradigm is the one that fits the situation and, most importantly, works.

Absent
I smile when I\'m angry.  I cheat and I lie
I do what I have to do to get by
But I know what is wrong, and I know what is right
And I die for the truth in my secret life

In My Secret Life, L. Cohen

stitchinwith

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 06:33:32 pm »
Quote from: Marilyn/Absentminded;43190
Except when the fluffy paradigm is the one that fits the situation and, most importantly, works.

Absent

But of course, that goes without saying.  Talk about having your cake and eating it. Yummy.

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 09:22:51 pm »

What do you recommend?

I have to get that one. I have the 1k version and have only skimmed a copy of this one. The 1K, to my surprise at first, had a bunch from the old Anna Riva pamphlets in it. So perhaps those would be fun, but they can be redundant.

Field guides to medicinal wild plants might be helpful and fun. I like Bradford Angier's as they have bits of folklore along with practical advice about the plants. The folklore parts sometimes include old spells but they aren't called spells. In this same vein, some culture specific herbals also can be good. While I may not put to use things I have read in The Cherokee Herbal, reading it can be charming. Though, more than half of the plants in my region were used to soothe a vague "women's troubles," there are bits that tell stories that at times resonate with some magical workings.

They are tangential books, but they often help me understand the possible rationales behind other books' information as well as provide some practical advice about where to find things, how to grow them and tips for handling, cooking and which parts of the plants can be used for this and that in the plans various stages of growth.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 09:25:01 pm by Annie Roonie »

Tags: