Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Success with spirits  (Read 2355 times)

Dave_Syn

• View Profile
Success with spirits
« on: June 04, 2013, 03:15:24 am »
Over the past few years I've dabbled in the occult, mostly ceremonial magick based on the Judeo Christian spirits and traditions. I've seen next to no results as far as contact with spirits or success with magickal workings. This had me baffled, so now I want to try something different.

I've narrowed down the issues as to why I haven't seen success. I tweaked and tweaked until I could rule everything else out. When I think of what else could be standing in my way, it's that I'm of Celtic descent.

Everything I've tried so far was based on Judeo Christian spirits and traditions as I said, so Maybe I should try something more Celtic/Norse?

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Success with spirits
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 08:36:19 am »
Quote from: Dave_Syn;110674
Over the past few years I've dabbled in the occult, mostly ceremonial magick based on the Judeo Christian spirits and traditions. I've seen next to no results as far as contact with spirits or success with magickal workings. This had me baffled, so now I want to try something different.

One possible problem, ceremonial magic is hard to "dabble in" -- at least if one wants a good chance of success. It requires study, dedication, and a lot of work. If you are looking for something you can "dabble in" with a better chance of success, I'd look into some form of folk magic.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Dave_Syn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 09:23:27 am »
Quote from: RandallS;110700
One possible problem, ceremonial magic is hard to "dabble in" -- at least if one wants a good chance of success. It requires study, dedication, and a lot of work. If you are looking for something you can "dabble in" with a better chance of success, I'd look into some form of folk magic.

I've tried candle and ceremonial magick, hoodoo, stuff from lucky mojo, chants, planetary magick, the list goes on. I haven't had a bit of success in 5 or so years, on and off. Not sure what's wrong.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 09:31:00 am »
Quote from: Dave_Syn;110704
I've tried candle and ceremonial magick, hoodoo, stuff from lucky mojo, chants, planetary magick, the list goes on. I haven't had a bit of success in 5 or so years, on and off. Not sure what's wrong.

How long are you spending on each before moving on to something else?
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Dave_Syn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 09:41:18 am »
Quote from: veggiewolf;110705

I've spent up to 2 weeks straight on some. For others it was a few days, and the candle and hoodoo stuff was a single time.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 10:52:07 am »
Quote from: Dave_Syn;110707
I've spent up to 2 weeks straight on some. For others it was a few days, and the candle and hoodoo stuff was a single time.

Have you considered that each of these arenas may require more than two weeks practice to become successful?
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
Success with spirits
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 10:52:54 am »

I've spent longer than that on a single craft project!  Way longer!  Two weeks is nothing!

Chabas

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 10:59:19 am »

...look, for a solid work, it'll take you longer than that to read a book, nevermind master any relevant skills. Did you conclude that driving was ineffective when you stalled the engine the first time you tried to drive away in a car?

--Chabas

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 11:21:25 am »

I suppose given that track record, you could try the Celtic stuff for a week and see how well it works out for you.

Totally aside from your attention span (which I feel you on, believe me, I don't understand why I couldn't learn to knit socks in a week) you're being a bit apples and oranges here. "Celtic" is really more a description of a mythology or a cultural/religious practice than it is a specific skillset. Do you have any particular Celtic or Norse practice in mind that you're going to try? How long do you plan to spend on it?

But hey, you can always try calling on Loki, I tend to get very fast results when I invoke him.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Materialist

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 12:18:47 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;110705

I'm wondering if his problem might be that he's expecting too much, like a creature actually materializing, or stuff falling off shelves. Perhaps we could be of more assistance if a successful working was described.

Has anyone had success contacting spirits?

Dave_Syn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 10:03:56 pm »
Quote from: Chabas;110718
...look, for a solid work, it'll take you longer than that to read a book, nevermind master any relevant skills. Did you conclude that driving was ineffective when you stalled the engine the first time you tried to drive away in a car?

--Chabas

I'd like to think that after quite a few years of experimentation, there would be at least something as far as results. What gets me is hearing about how so many others have done far, far less than I have in a shorter amount of time and WHAMMO! Even simple candle magick, of which I've tried many times, has worked pretty fastly for others. I'm pretty dry for anything occult or magick.

The rituals/spells sometimes call for only a week or less of working, and others have nailed it following those guidelines, so I don't think working something for 6 months straight will be beneficial. But in fact, that brings me onto something else that ties in with this...

Quote from: Materialist;110729
I'm wondering if his problem might be that he's expecting too much, like a creature actually materializing, or stuff falling off shelves. Perhaps we could be of more assistance if a successful working was described.

There's something rather important to me that I worked on earlier this year and it was a lucky mojo kit that I tried after frustration with other methods. The results I wanted are 100% attainable, it's nothing like levitation ;) I worked the kit to a T, including moon phases and timing, I nailed EVERYTHING.

There's still a chance for it to come to fruition but I'm not counting on it since it's been 5 months. I still have some of the 'lucky' utensils sitting around from the kit that I keep just in case. This particular thing is very important to me and I've worked on it for a few years and decided to try magick to help it along. If there's anything that I've got will for, it's this.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 10:06:55 pm by Dave_Syn »

Snowdrop

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 11:27:03 pm »
Quote from: Dave_Syn;110774
I'd like to think that after quite a few years of experimentation, there would be at least something as far as results. What gets me is hearing about how so many others have done far, far less than I have in a shorter amount of time and WHAMMO! Even simple candle magick, of which I've tried many times, has worked pretty fastly for others. I'm pretty dry for anything occult or magick.

The rituals/spells sometimes call for only a week or less of working, and others have nailed it following those guidelines, so I don't think working something for 6 months straight will be beneficial. But in fact, that brings me onto something else that ties in with this...

But several years doing different things for short amounts of time won't get you anywhere.  It's like beginning to knit one week, then draw the next, then sculpt the next: even though they're all art forms, they're all different art forms.  You'll have to stick with one thing for a lot longer to get any result.  

No one is genuinely good at anything overnight.  Sure, there are people who are prodigies and have a ton of natural talent, but even they have to learn how to harness it.

Dave_Syn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 11:50:58 pm »
Quote from: Snowdrop;110776
But several years doing different things for short amounts of time won't get you anywhere.  It's like beginning to knit one week, then draw the next, then sculpt the next: even though they're all art forms, they're all different art forms.  You'll have to stick with one thing for a lot longer to get any result.  

So you think I could benefit from doing the same ritual/spell for a lot longer? Some of them don't call for it like I said though, like sigil magick. I understand what you're saying but I think I've put more than enough practice into certain things. I'm under the impression 'something' is blocking me... I just don't know what that is yet.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 01:32:07 am »
Quote from: Dave_Syn;110777
So you think I could benefit from doing the same ritual/spell for a lot longer? Some of them don't call for it like I said though, like sigil magick. I understand what you're saying but I think I've put more than enough practice into certain things. I'm under the impression 'something' is blocking me... I just don't know what that is yet.

You said earlier that you haven't done anything for more than two weeks, and I took the impression that you haven't tried anything more than once. You don't have to do a single spell for longer, but you might want to try it more than once. I didn't make anything but a mess the first time I picked up a welding torch.

Have you tried any divination to see what the "blocking" feeling might be coming from? If you don't feel you're making any progress with divination, have you tried asking someone else?

Actually, that line of thought makes me curious - do you have any more experienced practitioners available? Have you taken any classes? Or are you doing this from books and instinct? The latter is certainly harder, though no less worthwhile.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Dave_Syn

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 01:47:47 am »
Quote from: Jack;110779
You said earlier that you haven't done anything for more than two weeks, and I took the impression that you haven't tried anything more than once.

I should have clarified :) Over the last few years I've tried the same *type* of magick (sigil, candle, ceremonial) to get decent at that type, and I also did the exact same spells or rituals, many times over.

I live in the middle of nowhere so I get my info from books. I'd like guidance from someone but it'd probably have to be on the phone or net. In fact I'd love to do that since I'm so determined. But I'm not sure since their face may look like this --> $_$

I actually tried a psychic one time to find out why I haven't seen success. They told me it was a curse and I tried to dispel it, but I don't think I quite believe them since a curse is always the default answer... I'll try my Tarot deck soon and see what it tells me.

Tags: