Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Magical Properties of Fuschia  (Read 2058 times)

Breeze

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Magical Properties of Fuschia
« on: May 25, 2013, 07:19:49 pm »
I've been working with herbs a lot more lately and have ended up with a decent little container garden in the process.  My mom brought me a plant that she had found at a greenhouse and it's gorgeous and screams magic to me, but I'm not sure what kind.  It's called a fuschia plant and I've never seen one or heard of it before.  It's not in any of my books and I can't find its magical properties online either.  Any guesses?  The picture is one I found on Google, but is exact to the one I have.

[attach=CONFIG][/attach]

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Magical Properties of Fuschia
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 07:57:13 am »
Quote from: Breeze;109887
I've been working with herbs a lot more lately and have ended up with a decent little container garden in the process.  My mom brought me a plant that she had found at a greenhouse and it's gorgeous and screams magic to me, but I'm not sure what kind.  It's called a fuschia plant and I've never seen one or heard of it before.  It's not in any of my books and I can't find its magical properties online either.

I can't find any magical properties, but here is some info on how one type has been used which might give you some items:

http://indigenousknowledgeproject.org/plants/california-fuchsia
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Magical Properties of Fuschia
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 10:54:08 am »
Quote from: Breeze;109887
I've been working with herbs a lot more lately and have ended up with a decent little container garden in the process.  My mom brought me a plant that she had found at a greenhouse and it's gorgeous and screams magic to me, but I'm not sure what kind.  It's called a fuschia plant and I've never seen one or heard of it before.  It's not in any of my books and I can't find its magical properties online either.  Any guesses?  The picture is one I found on Google, but is exact to the one I have.

When I don't know the traditional uses for a plant, I tend to look into the plant itself:  its history, its geography, its (often evocative) common names, its fragrance and growing habit, etc.  The fuchsia you have is a hybrid, but most native fuchsias occur in tropical climates.  They're a member of the Onagraceae (a.k.a. willowherb) family, which contains such notable species as large-flowered evening primrose (Oenothera glazioviana) and fireweed (Epilobium angustifolium), the latter of which is suspected to exhibit cryptic species complex, meaning it has a tendency to readily hybridize with other members of the same genus.  Despite being a fairly small family, the Onagraceae are well-represented in my climate.  The two I mentioned above are natives here and grow everywhere.  Hardy fuchsias grow so readily here they seem like natives.  And even tender varieties like yours can often survive the winter here.

I find that the more I dig into a plant's background, the more uses I can find for it.

Brina

Tags: