Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Steampunk Magic: Working Magic Aboard the Airship  (Read 14178 times)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Steampunk Magic: Working Magic Aboard the Airship
« on: May 19, 2013, 12:26:51 pm »

Title: Steampunk Magic: Working Magic Aboard the Airship
Author(s): Gypsey Elaine Teague
Publisher: Weiser Books
Publication Date: March 2013
ISBN: 157863539X
ISBN-13: 978-1578635399
Current Price and More Info from Amazon

[size=+1]Description:[/size]
A glove full of Goth, a helping of Sci-Fi, and a vial of Cyberpunk all neatly wrapped inside a Victorian Satchel--the popular new genre of Steampunk is reverberating throughout our culture in art, fashion, style and music.

Now you can hop aboard the airship and embark on a spiritual adventure that brings dramatic ritual and practical magic into your everyday life with Steampunk Magic. Gypsey Elaine Teague draws on her experience as a practicing High Priestess and magician and her love of Steampunk to bring readers an entirely new magical system.
Steampunk Magic is a compendium of altar arrangements, spells, and magical tools--traditional Wicca and magic with a Steampunk twist. Teague shows how to craft and use a compass instead of a pentacle, use a rigging knife in place of an athame, and join an airship in lieu of a coven. Beautifully illustrated with photographs and art.

[size=+1]Special Notes:[/size]

[size=-1]Legal Notes: Some description text and item pictures in this post may come from Amazon.com and are used by permission. The Cauldron is an Amazon Affiliate and purchases made through the Amazon links in this message help support The Cauldron.[/size]

[size=+1]Discussion and reviews of this book are welcome in this thread. If you've read the book, please tell us what you think of it and why.[/size]
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

axismundi

• Sr. Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Re: Steampunk Magic: Working Magic Aboard the Airship
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 07:25:00 am »
Quote from: RandallS;109106

Title: Steampunk Magic: Working Magic Aboard the Airship
Author(s): Gypsey Elaine Teague
Publisher: Weiser Books
Publication Date: March 2013
ISBN: 157863539X
ISBN-13: 978-1578635399
Current Price and More Info from Amazon

[size=+1]Description:[/size]
A glove full of Goth, a helping of Sci-Fi, and a vial of Cyberpunk all neatly wrapped inside a Victorian Satchel--the popular new genre of Steampunk is reverberating throughout our culture in art, fashion, style and music.

Now you can hop aboard the airship and embark on a spiritual adventure that brings dramatic ritual and practical magic into your everyday life with Steampunk Magic. Gypsey Elaine Teague draws on her experience as a practicing High Priestess and magician and her love of Steampunk to bring readers an entirely new magical system.
Steampunk Magic is a compendium of altar arrangements, spells, and magical tools--traditional Wicca and magic with a Steampunk twist. Teague shows how to craft and use a compass instead of a pentacle, use a rigging knife in place of an athame, and join an airship in lieu of a coven. Beautifully illustrated with photographs and art.

[size=+1]Special Notes:[/size]

[size=-1]Legal Notes: Some description text and item pictures in this post may come from Amazon.com and are used by permission. The Cauldron is an Amazon Affiliate and purchases made through the Amazon links in this message help support The Cauldron.[/size]

[size=+1]Discussion and reviews of this book are welcome in this thread. If you've read the book, please tell us what you think of it and why.[/size]

This looks like an interesting read.  However I don't understand how 'steampunk' spell's' relate to  our physical existence.  Perhaps on an Astral steampunk zone they are of interest and use.  It seems an almost chaos magick approach to adopt a paradigm and try it out.  Could someone perhaps review the book some more?

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 08:04:26 am »
Quote from: sailor;109139
This just sounds so bad. I wonder if the author actually knows anything about steam, or rigging knives or even a compass.

From a quick look at this book at the bookstore a few weeks ago, it looks like it is just steampunk fiction flavored Neo-Wicca -- which at least makes it one of the more original types of Neo-Wicca.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 12:09:54 am »
Quote from: RandallS;109150
From a quick look at this book at the bookstore a few weeks ago, it looks like it is just steampunk fiction flavored Neo-Wicca -- which at least makes it one of the more original types of Neo-Wicca.

Hmm, sort of like the pop culture worship thread?

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 12:45:24 am »
Quote from: sailor;109228

Not really. Most of the pop culture pagans I know aren't Wiccan. ;)
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 01:01:50 am »
Quote from: RandallS;109150

That was my impression as well.  Also a good inspiration for those who wanted to add a bit of "magic(k)" to a steampunk-flavored RPG.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

axismundi

• Sr. Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 04:19:06 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;109238
That was my impression as well.  Also a good inspiration for those who wanted to add a bit of "magic(k)" to a steampunk-flavored RPG.

Everyone's discussion has helped me form a picture.  It's a shame it doesn't have a more chaos-magic paradigm rather then neo-wiccan.  Perhaps it will strike a cord with all the neo-wiccans then.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 07:43:14 am »
Quote from: sailor;109228

Similar, I guess. A wiccan-flavored alternate history version?
Randall

Materialist

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 01:07:50 pm »
Quote from: axismundi;109252
Everyone's discussion has helped me form a picture.  It's a shame it doesn't have a more chaos-magic paradigm rather then neo-wiccan.  Perhaps it will strike a cord with all the neo-wiccans then.

Yeah, the book sounded interesting until Wicca was mentioned.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
Steampunk Magic: Working Magic Aboard the Airship
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 12:48:19 pm »
Quote from: Materialist;109831
Yeah, the book sounded interesting until Wicca was mentioned.

So I put a hold in on this book pretty much as soon as it was mentioned with my local library, but tragically, it seems both copies were lost.

Seriously, wtf.

Not to be deterred, I've put in an interlibrary loan request instead. I am determined to see if it's as bad as it sounds.
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 08:37:55 pm »
Quote from: Jack;112206
So I put a hold in on this book pretty much as soon as it was mentioned with my local library, but tragically, it seems both copies were lost.

Seriously, wtf.

Not to be deterred, I've put in an interlibrary loan request instead. I am determined to see if it's as bad as it sounds.

The question is whether some Christians stole it to keep out of the hands of people, or if some pagans stole it rather than paying for it.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 09:27:14 pm »
Quote from: sailor;112324
The question is whether some Christians stole it to keep out of the hands of people, or if some pagans stole it rather than paying for it.

Hard to say up here. The library has a pretty broad selection of pagan-ish books, most of which are there when I look for them, so my instinct is the latter. Unless they're anti-steampunk? I've noticed several of the steampunk books going missing...

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 09:36:54 pm »
Quote from: Jack;112336
Hard to say up here. The library has a pretty broad selection of pagan-ish books, most of which are there when I look for them, so my instinct is the latter. Unless they're anti-steampunk? I've noticed several of the steampunk books going missing...

Pagan books are among the most commonly stolen by libraries (that and books about sex) - pretty much every librarian I've talked to figures it's a roughly even split between people who abhor the content, and people who want to keep the content for themselves.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2013, 10:02:24 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;112338
Pagan books are among the most commonly stolen by libraries (that and books about sex) - pretty much every librarian I've talked to figures it's a roughly even split between people who abhor the content, and people who want to keep the content for themselves.

I'm just sort of amazed because the library has several shelves of pagan books at multiple branches that I've seen, and I've never had this much trouble tracking one down before. Both were in the system but checked out when I put a hold in, and both were "lost" almost simultaneously. So either way it's certainly possible but still weird.

Maybe one of the local high schools is now hiding an AIRSHIP COVEN and I should be on the lookout for sky pirates or something.

Tags: