Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Einherjar Day?  (Read 1887 times)

Thorson

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Einherjar Day?
« on: May 18, 2013, 04:36:00 pm »
I've been reading about the Asatru "Days of Remembrance", including Einherjar Day. The problem is there does not seem to be a consensus regarding exactly when this day should be observed.

Some Asatru Pagans believe Memorial Day(May 27 this year) is the most appropriate, since it specifically honors those who have died in combat. Others prefer Veteran's Day(November 11).

Are both dates equally valid, or is one better than the other?

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Einherjar Day?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 04:43:54 pm »
Quote from: Thorson;109031

Well one thing to keep in mind is that both of those dates are American. So if you're from a country that doesn't observe honouring particular people on those days, it may not make sense to keep with those dates, especially if they have contexts that do not line up with what you are trying to do: Wikipedia tells me that Memorial Day is for those who have died while in service, while Veterans Day is for all military servicepeople whether living or dead. You may try moving the festival instead to a date that makes sense to YOUR veterans and YOUR honoured military dead, and what you are trying to accomplish with having a day in your religious calendar called "Einherjar Day".
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Thorson

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 04:45:29 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;109032
Well one thing to keep in mind is that both of those dates are American. So if you're from a country that doesn't observe honouring particular people on those days, it may not make sense to keep with those dates, especially if they have contexts that do not line up with what you are trying to do: Wikipedia tells me that Memorial Day is for those who have died while in service, while Veterans Day is for all military servicepeople whether living or dead. You may try moving the festival instead to a date that makes sense to YOUR veterans and YOUR honoured military dead, and what you are trying to accomplish with having a day in your religious calendar called "Einherjar Day".

Very good point, and one I had not considered. Thank you.

hlewagastir

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 04:56:27 pm »
I've been reading about the Asatru "Days of Remembrance", including Einherjar Day. The problem is there does not seem to be a consensus regarding exactly when this day should be observed.

Some Asatru Pagans believe Memorial Day(May 27 this year) is the most appropriate, since it specifically honors those who have died in combat. Others prefer Veteran's Day(November 11).

Decide for yourself. One of the reason there is no consensus is that it has been thought up in the 70ies (or something like that) by specifik individuals/groups. It´s not really a pan-Asatru thing (in the same way midwinter is).
I know nobody in Denmark who celebrates it - I think it´s mostly an American/possibly English thing.

I´m not saying that it is not a valid or good thing to celebrate, just that it is not part of a shared source material so there isn´t really any consensus. Set your own date or pick that which suits you the best - IMO specific dates aren´t necessary; it´s doing it in the right season/time of the year that matters.

Thorson

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 05:03:38 pm »
Quote from: hlewagastir;109035
Decide for yourself. One of the reason there is no consensus is that it has been thought up in the 70ies (or something like that) by specifik individuals/groups. It´s not really a pan-Asatru thing (in the same way midwinter is).
I know nobody in Denmark who celebrates it - I think it´s mostly an American/possibly English thing.

I´m not saying that it is not a valid or good thing to celebrate, just that it is not part of a shared source material so there isn´t really any consensus. Set your own date or pick that which suits you the best - IMO specific dates aren´t necessary; it´s doing it in the right season/time of the year that matters.

Thank you. I think I will probably wait until one of the pan-Pagan festivals, like Midsummer. That would feel more "real" to me.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 09:15:04 pm »

I honor my veteran ancestors on Veterans Day because they didn't die in war, essentially, but that's not an "Asatru holiday" for me so much as it's a day set aside for honoring a group that happens to overlap my ancestors.

Do you mind if I ask why Midsummer feels more real to you? Is it because it's popular, or more historical?
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Thorson

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 06:27:30 am »
Quote from: Jack;109059
I honor my veteran ancestors on Veterans Day because they didn't die in war, essentially, but that's not an "Asatru holiday" for me so much as it's a day set aside for honoring a group that happens to overlap my ancestors.

Do you mind if I ask why Midsummer feels more real to you? Is it because it's popular, or more historical?

Both. From what I've read, and of course I'm open to correction, Midsummer is one of the most important Pagan festivals. It is celebrated by Norse/Germanic, Celtic and Baltic/Slavic Pagans.

Tags: