Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Tech: Operating systems  (Read 9052 times)

Amphibian

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Magpie eclectic feral urban hedge druid(ish)
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Re: Operating systems
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2014, 04:22:43 am »
Quote from: RandallS;154374
I wouldn't worry about it. I often have weird failures during linux boots on virtual machines (where the VM does not have something the kernel expects and a real machine would normally have). I don't bother to track them down and remove them from the boot sequence unless they cause the boot to pause (or really slow to a crawl). I'm lazy that way.

Your system is finding your swap partition on /dev/sda3 so it really doesn't matter that it does not find another swap partition on /dev/sda5.  Puppy is now based on Slack and it boots differently from most distros I'm familiar with (especially with grub4dos, or so it seems).

Yeah, it was mostly being a 'i want to make this better because nitpicky brainweird' problem.

I've just encountered a rather more serious one, though; the wireless widget spectacularly refuses to connect to the network for the hotel that I'm staying at this weekend. Which is...less than ideal. I've gone through the network wizard to set up the connection and everything goes fine until I select 'use this profile'; it flashes a progress bar of 'acquiring WPA connection' for about half a second before failing with an error box that says: "Output of wpa_cli -i wlan0 status: Failed to connect to wpa_supplicant - wpa_ctrl_open: No such file or directory." According to the .conf file that I've found, that should be in /var/run/wpa_supplicant, but no such directory exists.

Connecting to any other wireless point is working absolutely gorgeously; the only point of distinction I can find is that the functional ones are WPA2, and the hotel's is vanilla WPA.
All knowledge is worth having.
It doesn't stop being magic just because you know how it works.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2014, 08:14:51 am »
Quote from: Amphibian;154416
Connecting to any other wireless point is working absolutely gorgeously; the only point of distinction I can find is that the functional ones are WPA2, and the hotel's is vanilla WPA.

That difgference is probably why it is not working. There are complex troubleshooting procedures that might let you turn it on (and might mess things up worse), but they are time-consuming and a PITA. WPA is an older and far less secure standard. I wouldn't use a public wifi server that used it as it is practically asking for your identity to be stolen. In fact this might not even be the hotel's server but someone spoofing it to steal identities.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Amphibian

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Magpie eclectic feral urban hedge druid(ish)
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2014, 05:08:54 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;154423
That difgference is probably why it is not working. There are complex troubleshooting procedures that might let you turn it on (and might mess things up worse), but they are time-consuming and a PITA. WPA is an older and far less secure standard. I wouldn't use a public wifi server that used it as it is practically asking for your identity to be stolen. In fact this might not even be the hotel's server but someone spoofing it to steal identities.

It is the hotel's official server (I'm aware of the security issues, but it's what it is).  Fortunately, I managed to badger one of the hotel staff into turning on a landline, and our personal WPA2 access point is now up and running.
All knowledge is worth having.
It doesn't stop being magic just because you know how it works.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2014, 07:54:44 am »
Quote from: Amphibian;154437
 Fortunately, I managed to badger one of the hotel staff into turning on a landline, and our personal WPA2 access point is now up and running.

Definitely sagfer than any public wifi.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Tags: