Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Do you plan to raise your kids pagan? (Question for my college essay)  (Read 10825 times)

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Do you plan to raise your kids pagan? (Question for my college essay)
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2016, 06:47:38 pm »
Quote from: FraterBenedict;194298
When they become older, I would bring them on study visits to a Hindu Temple, at least two Buddhist centres, a Synagogue, a Lutheran church, a Roman Catholic church, a Mosque, a Gurdwara and a blót, in order to - hopefully - foster a spirit of openness, tolerance and respect for other peoples' religions.

I don't view ethics as a particularly religious domain. I would probably try to impart some virtues (without any religious justification for doing so).

First, yeah, I agree with that last bit.

About all those visits- I think they're a good idea, but I'd definitely recommend figuring out how long a service (or equivalent) is at each place. While I realize a visit isn't necessarily for a service, I think attending one is a good way to not just see the church and learn, but also to see how it functions. But regardless of age (speaking as an adult, but recalling being a kid and a teenager), a long service of something you aren't particularly connected to, is plain difficult, and might kill interest in follow up questions.

RecycledBenedict

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2016, 09:00:11 am »
Quote from: Scales;194308
About all those visits- I think they're a good idea, but I'd definitely recommend figuring out how long a service (or equivalent) is at each place. While I realize a visit isn't necessarily for a service, I think attending one is a good way to not just see the church and learn, but also to see how it functions. But regardless of age (speaking as an adult, but recalling being a kid and a teenager), a long service of something you aren't particularly connected to, is plain difficult, and might kill interest in follow up questions.

I think the choice between visiting outside or during activity has to be decided on a case by case basis, also taking the age of children in account. A Lutheran family service and a Fornsi∂r blót are much more accomodating for small children than, let's say, a Buddhist meditation session.

Speirbhean

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2017, 11:07:30 pm »
Quote from: Wandering;108506
(As some of you may know from back when I introduced myself, I noted that I'm working on an essay for my college writing course, and would, at some point, require interviews.  However, this being an online site, I'm doing things a bit differently.  I'm going to pose the question, one that I both need for the essay and am curious about, and answers will be recorded for the essay.   Please note, if you wish to answer, I ask that you state how you want to be named - anonymous, your name on the forum, etc.  Thanks in advance!)

Many articles I've read about modern pagan families have all dealt with a parent's, or parents' concern on whether or not they should bring their children up as pagan vs. exposing them to the religious practices but letting them make a choice when they wish about whether or not they wish to become pagan.  

My question is this - what did you choose as a parent?  Bring the child up as pagan, or let them choose when they're ready?

Im practicing pagan reconstruction partly because preserving our ancestors culture is of vital importance.  Irish language for instance isnt even taught in schools widely in Ireland, so its every Irish reconstructionists responsibility to ensure it lives on.  Just my opinion of course.

My kids will be free to belive what they want to, but they will learn about our mythology, our gods, our language and a respect for our ancestors.

Rodney_Dawn

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2023, 12:19:21 am »
(As some of you may know from back when I introduced myself, I noted that I'm working on an essay for my college writing course, and would, at some point, require interviews.  However, this being an online site, I'm doing things a bit differently.  I'm going to pose the question, one that I both need for the essay and am curious about, and answers will be recorded for the essay.   Please note, if you wish to answer, I ask that you state how you want to be named - anonymous, your name on the forum, etc.  Thanks in advance!)

Many articles I've read about modern pagan families have all dealt with a parent's, or parents' concern on whether or not they should bring their children up as pagan vs. exposing them to the religious practices but letting them make a choice when they wish about whether or not they wish to become pagan. 

My question is this - what did you choose as a parent?  Bring the child up as pagan, or let them choose when they're ready?

That is an excellent question, and something me and Molly thought about, discussed, and meditated for guidance on a lot.   Ultimately we decided to raise our little blessed one Hellenic as we ourselves are extremely devout.     Seraphina is a newborn at this time, so it will be a while before we have to find ''Hellenic books for Kids" 

Tags: