Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:04:14 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 06:56:16 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Yei
[Today at 06:56:00 pm]

Author Topic: Use of Blood in Craftwork (Warning: Gory Topic)  (Read 9974 times)

CozyWitch

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Use of Blood in Craftwork (Warning: Gory Topic)
« on: July 27, 2011, 10:43:29 pm »
Warning, this is a topic that is probably used in the traditional witchcraft community more than others and is not for the squeamish or light-hearted.

I have heard it stated that blood is one of the most powerful items to use within your Craft, especially menstrual blood for women. It is the essential life force and contains fragments of your soul, personality, identity, etc.

Now, I've heard use of the term, "reddening the bone". Anyone understand what this is exactly?

Also, I've read that some use blood to stain Runes or other magical items that will be used and are personal to the individual.

I personally have used my own blood in spells that either require a boost or are directed toward empowering myself or self-protection. Would those of you who may practice "hex-craft" be inclined to use your own blood in these spells, or no? Personally, I'm not sure if I would want to risk being attached to hexes/curses.

Are there any other instances of which blood is/may be used in Craftwork?

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Re: Use of Blood in Craftwork (Warning: Gory Topic)
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 11:14:52 pm »
Quote from: CozyWitch;8840
Warning, this is a topic that is probably used in the traditional witchcraft community more than others and is not for the squeamish or light-hearted.

I have heard it stated that blood is one of the most powerful items to use within your Craft, especially menstrual blood for women. It is the essential life force and contains fragments of your soul, personality, identity, etc.

Now, I've heard use of the term, "reddening the bone". Anyone understand what this is exactly?

Also, I've read that some use blood to stain Runes or other magical items that will be used and are personal to the individual.

I personally have used my own blood in spells that either require a boost or are directed toward empowering myself or self-protection. Would those of you who may practice "hex-craft" be inclined to use your own blood in these spells, or no? Personally, I'm not sure if I would want to risk being attached to hexes/curses.

Blood is strong but no stronger than any other bodily fluid with regards to magical usage.  I personaly think a lot of the association of blood has to do with the difficulty in obtaining it when it is not from ones own body.

Blood can be used in Witch bottles or boundary markers just as urine can be used for the same purpose.  Menstural blood is seen by some as being stronger because of the knowledge that it contains the aborted eggs and had the potential spark of life associated with it.  Yet some claim it has no greater use than urine for both are used to remove used material from the body as a cleansing process.

There is also an assumption of blood given freely is less useful than blood taken by force.  I know in Power of Will spells and dominance spells blood taken by force is more desired than that which is given willingly.

Yet rites and rituals that call for the caster / practioners blood is better if given freely vice being taken by force.  To inflict pain upon oneself in the interest of dedicating or swearing oneself in my pathway was seen as the ultimate sacrifice of body and spirit.  

Of course there are some practices that still see flogging, flaying and crusifiction of self as the ultimate release of blood and spiritual essence.

Then there are the darker facets of blood to the earth to ensure the next harvest.  Don't know if that one is still practiced though many stories of harvest and fertility rites spoke of human sacrifice and blood letting.

CozyWitch

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 11:22:38 pm »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;8852
Blood is strong but no stronger than any other bodily fluid with regards to magical usage.  I personaly think a lot of the association of blood has to do with the difficulty in obtaining it when it is not from ones own body.

Blood can be used in Witch bottles or boundary markers just as urine can be used for the same purpose.  Menstural blood is seen by some as being stronger because of the knowledge that it contains the aborted eggs and had the potential spark of life associated with it.  Yet some claim it has no greater use than urine for both are used to remove used material from the body as a cleansing process.

There is also an assumption of blood given freely is less useful than blood taken by force.  I know in Power of Will spells and dominance spells blood taken by force is more desired than that which is given willingly.

Yet rites and rituals that call for the caster / practioners blood is better if given freely vice being taken by force.  To inflict pain upon oneself in the interest of dedicating or swearing oneself in my pathway was seen as the ultimate sacrifice of body and spirit.  

Of course there are some practices that still see flogging, flaying and crusifiction of self as the ultimate release of blood and spiritual essence.

Then there are the darker facets of blood to the earth to ensure the next harvest.  Don't know if that one is still practiced though many stories of harvest and fertility rites spoke of human sacrifice and blood letting.

Had a feeling you would participate in this thread. :)

I've always been told that if in doing a spell as the caster/practitioner that if you give it freely that you are surrendering yourself to the task at hand and by doing so you have submitted to your will. As a part of the Witches' Pyramid, this is the second step in becoming a great witch and allows you to harness your own power.

Now on the contrary, as you stated it is rumored that when blood is given willingly it is less potent than that which is given willingly. I am on the contrary. I can see how it would be more potent, but I have no need (at the moment, nor in the near future that I can see) for anothers' blood unless they were to request that I do spellwork for them that involves their own blood. But then again, I've never heard of Power of Will and Dominance spells.

I personally think that without understanding the "darker" aspects of the Craft that it can prevent you from growing but then again, some are not inclined to embark upon that sort of path or prefer to stay away from it. That's a personal decision, but I've learned in the past not everything is black and white, nor is the path of the witch.

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 11:43:21 pm »

You may find this blog post interesting: http://crookedways.wordpress.com/2011/06/06/reddening-the-bones/

Specifically to runes, I think Galina Krasskova addresses this topic in her book Runes: Theory and Practice, although I don't know for sure. It's on my wishlist, so I'm just reading the reviews. So it may or may not be implied all runes should be given blood.

Personally for me it's a personal thing on whether or not you want to give your runes, or any magical object, your blood. Blood is a powerful thing, because it's linked directly to our life on this earth. It's very precious to me and dangerous to use (genital secretions, spit, breast milk, etc. less so), so I would view it as one of the more powerful bodily fluids I could use to bond (or bind) magical tools to me. And by bonding or binding tools, I am bonded/bound to them as well.

It's actually hard for me to view blood as not inherently sacred, and thus magically potent, considering that my first interactions with deity (Yeshua, YHWH, and Dionysos) both involved the concept of wine = blood = divinity.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 11:47:56 pm by Nyktipolos »
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 11:58:37 pm »
Quote from: CozyWitch;8854
Had a feeling you would participate in this thread. :)

In my younger dumber days I found my way into some not so plesant places.  Can't say I didn't learn from it but it's not something I'd desire to do over.

I've always been told that if in doing a spell as the caster/practitioner that if you give it freely that you are surrendering yourself to the task at hand and by doing so you have submitted to your will. As a part of the Witches' Pyramid, this is the second step in becoming a great witch and allows you to harness your own power.

We used blood to help create a construct, a egrogre or servitor to do our bidding.  Other times blood was used to dedicate us to the task at hand and the intent of the spell.  Never did it myself with the exception of edged tools but i've known some that blooded every item they created to lock it to them and align it to thier life vibration.

Now on the contrary, as you stated it is rumored that when blood is given willingly it is less potent than that which is given willingly. I am on the contrary. I can see how it would be more potent, but I have no need (at the moment, nor in the near future that I can see) for anothers' blood unless they were to request that I do spellwork for them that involves their own blood. But then again, I've never heard of Power of Will and Dominance spells.

Willing and unwilling would be applied to the goal and purpose of the action.  If for the benefit of ones own self or contracted person then willing blood was best.

It doing it for Power of Will spells or dominace spells then you wanted unwilling blood.  It implied right off the bat that you had power and control over he / she you took the blood from.  If you controlled thier blood energy you controlled them was the general jist of the situation.  Not something you'll find in many Wicca 101 books or such.  It sort of fell into the same vein of though of watching a woman to see when her cycle started then "stealing" her menstural blood to use against her, a spouse or children.  But that was domination, manipulation and such type things, again not something you'll tend to find in a Wicca 101 book.

I personally think that without understanding the "darker" aspects of the Craft that it can prevent you from growing but then again, some are not inclined to embark upon that sort of path or prefer to stay away from it. That's a personal decision, but I've learned in the past not everything is black and white, nor is the path of the witch.

That one was once a much debated issue in my youth.  But then I was instructed via my family tradition which was Mountain breed with all the pride and persceptions of honor and such that goes with that.  Then add in an elderly Italian lady that sort of adopted me as a child and taugh me some things that I now can only say were some variants of a Stregian family trad.

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 12:06:00 am »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;8863
..  We used blood to help create a construct, a egrogre or servitor to do our bidding.  Other times blood was used to dedicate us to the task at hand and the intent of the spell.  Never did it myself with the exception of edged tools but i've known some that blooded every item they created to lock it to them and align it to thier life vibration..

Just to expound on this part it used to be common practice to "Blood" ones blades or edged weapons to ensure they would never again seek the blood of their master and owner.  The only exception to this was that once pulled a sword, knife, dagger any bladed weapon was never returned unblooded.  That was seen as leaving it desiring blood and made it dangerious to the welder of the weapon so you would blood it with your own blood to sate its taste for being drawn.

Other times if you were having a blade created it was not uncommon to have a fw drops of ones blood added to the creation process of the blade.  Didn't really matter if it was being done via hot forging or cold iron forging.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 12:33:53 am »

I would agree that blood is one of the most powerful items to use in magic, though not menstrual blood. Menstrual blood is waste that our bodies are getting rid of; I wouldn't find it any more magical than using poop. (No, I don't find poop magical. Or urine.)

YMMV, though. That's just my take.

No idea, but I'm curious. *clicks link to blog Nykti provided*

I would do that. Though...not until I have a house where I can store all my stuff in a room that locks. Really would not want any possible energy contamination on tools that are stained with something so a part of me.

Oh, gods, no. I wouldn't bind my blood to anyone save the gods.

I heard about a "making friends with your womb" spell a way back; it involved menstrual blood and a candle. I would consider that an exception to my general assessment of menstrual blood being waste, though I still would probably not do that spell. I...don't really feel the need to make friends with my womb.

I'm trying to think of specifics, but I'm drawing a blank. I've wanted to do bloodwork for a long time, but I have some issues around actually finding ways to draw the blood. Needles squick me to hell and gone, and knives would be fine, but I used to be a cutter. I'm afraid once I get over the hump of being scared of the pain I won't want to stop.

I just realized I didn't really answer your questions and just sort of rambled. Sorry about that. Hope it was useful anyway. :)
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Dark Midnight

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 01:57:26 am »
Quote from: Morag;8870
I would agree that blood is one of the most powerful items to use in magic, though not menstrual blood. Menstrual blood is waste that our bodies are getting rid of; I wouldn't find it any more magical than using poop. (No, I don't find poop magical. Or urine.)

I've never seen the point of using menstrual blood either, probably because it is a)as you say, just waste and b) not just blood. There is a lot of other stuff in there too.

Oh, gods, no. I wouldn't bind my blood to anyone save the gods.

It's just about the only reason that I do blood magic.

I'm trying to think of specifics, but I'm drawing a blank. I've wanted to do bloodwork for a long time, but I have some issues around actually finding ways to draw the blood. Needles squick me to hell and gone, and knives would be fine, but I used to be a cutter. I'm afraid once I get over the hump of being scared of the pain I won't want to stop.

I had a friend with that issue. What he did was to just have a small bottle of vial in his desk drawer and several at home so that if he accidentally cut himself, eg a papercut, a fall or something like that, he would collect the blood drops in the bottle and save it. He took very great care not to do it on purpose because, as you say, it would be very difficult to stop.
"No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy." (Melamphoros)
AKA Thundercougarfalconbird..... (Thanks Nyktipolos!)

CozyWitch

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 09:43:28 am »
Quote from: Dark Midnight;8880
I had a friend with that issue. What he did was to just have a small bottle of vial in his desk drawer and several at home so that if he accidentally cut himself, eg a papercut, a fall or something like that, he would collect the blood drops in the bottle and save it. He took very great care not to do it on purpose because, as you say, it would be very difficult to stop.

I'm in the same position as the OP with the fear of needles and not being able to stop once the pain subsides.

I would have no qualms about checking my blood sugar (not diabetic but it runs in my family so it's always safe to check once in a while) and pricking my finger, so I would just do that and then after getting a blood sample for that use a vial and draw out some blood that way.

Auress

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 01:13:38 am »

I have not used it purposely in ritual or craftwork. However, if I'm doing something that I'm concentrating on hard enough, I usually end up with blood sacrifice, anyway, because or a pin prick or cutting myself accidentally, or what have you. I made a witch bottle last year, and instead of blood or urine, I used saliva.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 11:31:55 pm »
I've never seen the point of using menstrual blood either, probably because it is a)as you say, just waste and b) not just blood. There is a lot of other stuff in there too.

Exactly. If it were a ritual specific to the "mystery of periods" and all that is associated with it, I can see menstrual blood being used because, well. But for general blood work? Yeah, no, can't see it as useful at all.

That sounds like a good idea, actually. I may consider doing that.

Quote from: CozyWitch;8923
I'm in the same position as the OP with the fear of needles and not being able to stop once the pain subsides.

I would have no qualms about checking my blood sugar (not diabetic but it runs in my family so it's always safe to check once in a while) and pricking my finger, so I would just do that and then after getting a blood sample for that use a vial and draw out some blood that way.

I wish I had no qualms about checking my blood sugar; for some reason purposefully pricking my finger just freaks me right the hell out. Not sure if it's because I watched Sleeping Beauty too many times as a kid or because I've done it too many times while sewing, but, yeah.

I probably should start checking my blood sugar, though, because diabetes also runs in my family. Or I could happily keep my head in the sand. Decisions.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

arkeiryn

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 10:27:23 am »
Quote from: Morag;8870

This is the reason that I highly doubt I will ever do blood magic. Too many connotations.

Quote from: CozyWitch

I'd rather use something -- anything -- else than blood. I've been thinking of using the boyfriend's sperm for something, for example ;) Unfortunately, the closest female accessible equivalent to sperm is menstrual blood, which I see as a waste product, even if it does have an ovum in it. I am not squeamish about it at all, but it wouldn't be the same.
"That which yields is not always weak."

"Yes my lord, but questions are dangerous, for they have answers"

catja6

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 12:46:57 pm »

In folk magic from many cultures, menstrual blood is used in love spells.  It's one of the more common cross-cultural love spells to work a bit of your menstrual blood into the food of the man you want, to make him fall in love with you; it's one of those spells that has a little bit of science behind it, since it involves pheromones.  (My "favorite" medieval love spell of this variety, which starts with "stick a live fish into your vagina" and goes downhill from there, works on the same principle.)

Also, don't knock urine -- urine is commonly used in hoodoo in protective and/or cursing capacities.  It's also a standard ingredient in witch bottles.  It's not hard to see why: using urine is a way of showing power over or contempt for an enemy (I piss on your grave, etc.), and urine is also the method many animals use to mark their territory.  The power granted to bodily fluids and parts in various traditions is not just based on what the stuff actually is, but what it means culturally.

horse

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 04:17:32 am »

In my work, I have used menstrual blood when performing a powerful hex, a 'curse' if you will.  This was a work of retribution, justice achieved.  It was one of the most powerful spells I have ever cast, and the results were...quite satisfactory.

I have used blood before and since, usually cut blood, and for a variety of purposes.  I find the power in the blood is mostly expressed through the focus and intention it achieves for the spell, in other words, when something is sealed in blood, it makes for a graver aspect of the whole ritual.

The other use I've found is in 'threshold' power- a knife blooded will pierce the earth with more intent.

horse :)
horse :)

Rhapsody032590

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 12:44:43 am »

Blood is a primal power, the way I've always seen and worked with blood is as the ultimate sacrifice. The phrase "life is in the blood" for what ever reason has always stuck with me and is the basis of most blood magic i practice. To draw and use your own blood is to sacrifice and bind a bit of your lifeforce to the spell, It's the reason blood curses are so powerful and so dangerous because you're using your blood to give the curse a life of its own, I've never done a blood curse personally but I've always beveled that you should understand all aspects of power so that you can deal with it if it ever comes up.

Personally I've used blood to boost spell craft that was important to me. I've also used blood to seal pacts or as an offering to the Gods or to the Fey as needed, theirs nothing more powerful of an offering then blood to most powers.

Now because blood is life in my experience its best to be very careful about what you use it for as it can give a life of its own to a spell.

Tags: