Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Food: Easy chicken satay that doesn't require exotic ingredients  (Read 2786 times)

Scent of Pine

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Easy chicken satay that doesn't require exotic ingredients
« on: April 15, 2013, 04:57:51 am »
This is an old tried-and-true recipe I've had forever.  I usually make it for people who don't have much experience with authentic Thai food.  It's also easy to make wherever you live in the states, because you don't need to track down any exotic ingredients that may not be available where you live.

1 pound chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
3 Tablespoons olive oil
2 Tablespoons soy sauce (please don't ever use LaChoy- go with Kikkoman)
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
good dash paprika

Marinate the chicken in the above ingredients for at least two hours, better if overnight.  Thread onto soaked bamboo skewers or metal ones and broil or grill until done.  Serve with the following peanut sauce.

1 Tablespoon olive oil
Three green onions, sliced thinly up into the green
1 Tablespoon grated ginger root (or less if it's too intense for you)
Pinch of red pepper flakes
1/2 cup water
1 cup peanut butter
1 tablespoon soy sauce

Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the onions, ginger and red pepper flakes.  Be careful not to burn it, but heat until the onions are softened.  Carefully add the water and peanut butter.  Stir until the peanut butter melts.  Add extra water if it gets too thick too quickly.  Remove from heat and stir in the soy sauce.

Serve the chicken and peanut sauce over rice.  Add a salad and it's a great meal.

I've been playing around with other recipes for the sauce.  I really like one with coconut  milk and lime juice.  Unfortunately all my recipes are sitting in boxes right now.  This one I have memorized.

Just thought I'd share it!  Hope you enjoy!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 01:46:28 pm by RandallS »

mandrina

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Easy chicken satay that doesn't require exotic ingredients
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 08:55:51 am »
Quote from: Scent of Pine;105350
This is an old tried-and-true recipe I've had forever.  I usually make it for people who don't have much experience with authentic Thai food.  It's also easy to make wherever you live in the states, because you don't need to track down any exotic ingredients that may not be available where you live.

3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
good dash paprika

Marinate the chicken in the above ingredients for at least two hours, better if overnight.  Thread onto soaked bamboo skewers or metal ones and broil or grill until done.  Serve with the following peanut sauce.

1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup water
1 cup peanut butter
1 tablespoon soy sauce

Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the onions, ginger and red pepper flakes.  Be careful not to burn it, but heat until the onions are softened.  Carefully add the water and peanut butter.  Stir until the peanut butter melts.  Add extra water if it gets too thick too quickly.  Remove from heat and stir in the soy sauce.

Serve the chicken and peanut sauce over rice.  Add a salad and it's a great meal.

I've been playing around with other recipes for the sauce.  I really like one with coconut  milk and lime juice.  Unfortunately all my recipes are sitting in boxes right now.  This one I have memorized.

Just thought I'd share it!  Hope you enjoy!

ok, quick question from a person who lves asian food, but doesn't always get some of the fine points.  Why kikommen over lachoy?
Katrina

"I have a bad feeling about this."  Every good guy in the Star Wars saga, and an occasional bad guy as well.

victoreia

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: disorganized something
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 11:22:20 pm »
Quote from: Scent of Pine;105350
This is an old tried-and-true recipe I've had forever.  I usually make it for people who don't have much experience with authentic Thai food.  It's also easy to make wherever you live in the states, because you don't need to track down any exotic ingredients that may not be available where you live.

3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
good dash paprika

Marinate the chicken in the above ingredients for at least two hours, better if overnight.  Thread onto soaked bamboo skewers or metal ones and broil or grill until done.  Serve with the following peanut sauce.

1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup water
1 cup peanut butter
1 tablespoon soy sauce

Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the onions, ginger and red pepper flakes.  Be careful not to burn it, but heat until the onions are softened.  Carefully add the water and peanut butter.  Stir until the peanut butter melts.  Add extra water if it gets too thick too quickly.  Remove from heat and stir in the soy sauce.

Serve the chicken and peanut sauce over rice.  Add a salad and it's a great meal.

I've been playing around with other recipes for the sauce.  I really like one with coconut  milk and lime juice.  Unfortunately all my recipes are sitting in boxes right now.  This one I have memorized.

Just thought I'd share it!  Hope you enjoy!

Wow, that sounds like something I could make! I love chicken satay, and don't get it very often. Thanks for sharing your recipe!
Do. Or do not. There is no try.  --Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

We are star stuff. We are the universe, made manifest. --Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5

Mind how you go. -- Granny Weatherwax

Scent of Pine

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 07:44:00 am »
Quote from: mandrina;105379
ok, quick question from a person who lves asian food, but doesn't always get some of the fine points.  Why kikommen over lachoy?

I grew up Asia, and Kikkoman was what we always used.  I never really thought about it until I moved back to the states and tried some of the other brands.  LaChoy has no flavor in common with real soy sauce.  I think I once looked at a bottle's ingredients and there was very little soy in it.  Kikkoman has been made the traditional way in Japan for hundreds of years.  Oddly, though, even Kikkoman tastes different depending on where it's brewed.  Out here we always check the label to make sure it's made in Japan.  It's also brewed in Malaysia, but that isn't as good.  I believe that the US Kikkoman bottles are all made in Wisconsin.  It's still good, but not like the original.  Oh boy, am I a soy sauce snob!

Nerys53

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 09:10:24 am »
Quote from: Scent of Pine;105598
I grew up Asia, and Kikkoman was what we always used.  I never really thought about it until I moved back to the states and tried some of the other brands.  LaChoy has no flavor in common with real soy sauce.  I think I once looked at a bottle's ingredients and there was very little soy in it.  Kikkoman has been made the traditional way in Japan for hundreds of years.  Oddly, though, even Kikkoman tastes different depending on where it's brewed.  Out here we always check the label to make sure it's made in Japan.  It's also brewed in Malaysia, but that isn't as good.  I believe that the US Kikkoman bottles are all made in Wisconsin.  It's still good, but not like the original.  Oh boy, am I a soy sauce snob!

I prefer the old Kikkoman like it used to be made in the sixties.:)

Tags: