Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: need guidance!  (Read 1374 times)

jeremymurphy

• View Profile
need guidance!
« on: April 09, 2013, 10:57:27 pm »
hello im jeremy and i am christian but i am very interested in paganism i want to get more involved so to say in paganism i want to practice paganism but i dont want to leave my christian roots behind as to upset my parents (im 14) so is there any way around this or any ideas? thank you for your support:spam:

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
Re: need guidance!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 12:00:33 am »
Quote from: jeremymurphy;104871
hello im jeremy and i am christian but i am very interested in paganism i want to get more involved so to say in paganism i want to practice paganism but i dont want to leave my christian roots behind as to upset my parents (im 14) so is there any way around this or any ideas? thank you for your support:spam:

There are people who call themselves or their practices Christopagan, so it's possible.

The more important question is, what parts of paganism do you want to practice, and why?
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

jeremymurphy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 09:57:05 pm »
Quote from: Jack;104874
There are people who call themselves or their practices Christopagan, so it's possible.

The more important question is, what parts of paganism do you want to practice, and why?

mostly the rituals and magick and the holiday everything but not really the worship

Snowdrop

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 10:09:33 pm »
Quote from: jeremymurphy;104991
mostly the rituals and magick and the holiday everything but not really the worship

Well, you can certainly do witchcraft without it being religious witchcraft.  Whether or not that works within a Christian context is, I think, largely up to you.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 10:10:48 pm »
Quote from: jeremymurphy;104991

Have you considered Catholicism?
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Violet Skies

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 10:34:14 am »

I think this situation is actually more common than many people think, just so you know. :)  As was already mentioned, some people combine Christian and Pagan religious practices.  How exactly this is done, I`m not entirely sure as I`ve never really been interested in it.  However, I`m sure there is information out there, probably even here at The Cauldron.  

Secondly, paganism generally has various practices (magik, holidays, etc.), but what god you worship/pray to/work with is completely up to the individual.  Christianity does tend to have restrictions on what can and cannot be associated with the Christian god, but people have found ways to make peace with that, which will probably be found in the Christian-Pagan realm. *points to above paragraph*  Just so you have an idea of where to start looking, Christian Wiccans are probably the most popular Christian-Pagan combination.  

Another idea is to look into Christian Mysticism.  Christianity did have mystical practices way back in the day, as do most religions before they become formal/organized institutions.  I know very little about Christian Mysticism, but I would definetly check into what it once was.  It may give you some of the more mystical elements you are looking for, without forcing you to abandon the religion altogether.  Just be careful when searching for information about it (i.e. sacrificing babies is never good). :p

Aniera

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 11:35:45 am »

Nice to meet you :D The question I had to ask myself (you're at about the age I was when I started getting curious) was what did I believe? Did I truly believe in the Christian Religion. Even now, I ask myself what I believe and make sure I know what I believe and then I go from there.

You can practice Magic without being wiccan or pagan or any other label, but it shouldn't be magic just to get the boyfriend/girlfriend or to pass a test and especially not to harm anyone. There are some, and I have even looked into the possibilty of Christian Witches. And I can somewhat see the idea behind it, but I'm still looking into it.

The point of all of this is to ask yourself what do you believe, what do you want to practice? Do you believe in two dieties, or just one, or multiple. Ask yourself this, and be honest with yourself and then just go from there! You're in a great place with great people!:D:
What A Shame To Have Wings & Never Fly

Becoming a mother is my greatest achievement.

Spiritual Blog: http://www.whimsicalmystical.blogspot.com

Diana

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 02:38:48 pm »

Looking at the other replies there's one thing you need to remember - pagans will say that you can practice paganism and Christianity, but Christians will say that you cannot. Its something many people manage to combine but you will be on the fence, if you get my meaning. You might feel like you don't quite belong to either, but it depends what you want.

I sympathise however, and as a former catholic I still have an affection for Mary, Mother of God. But now I am beginning to see her more like a facet of the Goddess. I still have rosary beads, but I won't describe myself as a christopagan.

Another thing is that you are still quite young, at your age however I was starting to get interested in paganism too, but its paganism that I felt truly at home with. Paganism is compatible with Christianity but Christianity is not compatible with paganism. My advice would be to read as many books as you can on both religions, go to church, go to wild spaces or nature parks to meditate and meet nature, and see where you feel most at home.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 02:41:18 pm by Diana »
My avatar is a picture of my pet cornsnake, Cleopatra :)

Kokopelli

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
need guidance!
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 03:51:37 pm »

You're at a good age to start exploring.  I was your age when I started to doubt my Christian faith, and considered druidism.  Unfortunately for me, I was in a small town in the days before the Internet.  Lol

You're main roadblock is going to be the Christian doctrine & commandments, specifically the Third Commandment.  Not saying it won't work, but from my experience and knowledge of the Bible, other gods and magic is a big no.

Your best bet is to continue searching and acquiring knowledge.  That said, I know the feeling of not wanting to part with familiar, especially if your parents are devout Christians.

Sometimes it make take a while.  I briefly left christianity for Buddhism, only to return.  A few years later, I left for good.  As an atheist, I couldn't fully explain what I experienced.  Thus I ended up here.  I'm still in the "broom closet," but I am finding this path easier.

Now, with all that said, it's a personal path.  My mixture of science, Buddhism, and paganism fits me   Your path will be what you feel fits the best.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 03:55:47 pm by Kokopelli »

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 04:26:33 pm »

Welcome. :)

Tags: