[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: odin?  (Read 2235 times)

europa

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
odin?
« on: April 06, 2013, 08:52:03 pm »
hi there..

i am new to the pagan community. and i have been struggling with something and it feels really heavy on my shoulders because im unsure of what i am suppose to do.

i have always felt a pull towards a certain norse god... odin. but when i first came to the community i didnt embrace those feelings.. i wanted to explore and read and do research on other deities from other walks of paganism. just being curious... which is a normal human behavior.

i have however recently started to do reading on norse mythology... and more than ever i hear odin everywhere. from people i wouldnt expect for him to come into converstation.. but also from people i would expect it from.. just at times i dont expect it ( if that makes sense) .. i hear his name everywhere i see his name everywhere.. and he is just all together stuck in my head. does this mean anything or am i over analyzing everything?  i am to afraid to ask anyone in my community quite yet because i dont know.. i did however speak out to him.. and said i feel his presence.. or at least a presence but that im just not ready yet. i have little to no experience and that i hope he understands, this is big and important but i should have some sort of experience no?

this is where the struggle begins.

sorry to babble on.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 08:11:48 am by RandallS »

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
Re: odin?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 09:04:33 pm »
Quote from: europa;104581
hi there..

i am new to the pagan community. and i have been struggling with something and it feels really heavy on my shoulders because im unsure of what i am suppose to do.
i have always felt a pull towards a certain norse god... odin. but when i first came to the community i didnt embrace those feelings.. i wanted to explore and read and do research on other deities from other walks of paganism. just being curious... which is a normal human behavior.
i have however recently started to do reading on norse mythology... and more than ever i hear odin everywhere. from people i wouldnt expect for him to come into converstation.. but also from people i would expect it from.. just at times i dont expect it ( if that makes sense) .. i hear his name everywhere i see his name everywhere.. and he is just all together stuck in my head. does this mean anything or am i over analyzing everything?  i am to afraid to ask anyone in my community quite yet because i dont know.. i did however speak out to him.. and said i feel his presence.. or at least a presence but that im just not ready yet. i have little to no experience and that i hope he understands, this is big and important but i should have some sort of experience no?
sorry to babble on.

It's possible you're seeing Odin everywhere because you're thinking about it... but in my experience he's also not shy about letting you know if he's interested in you. When you spoke to him, did you feel you got any response? Have you done any divination or tried meditating?
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

europa

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 09:17:20 pm »
Quote from: Jack;104583
It's possible you're seeing Odin everywhere because you're thinking about it... but in my experience he's also not shy about letting you know if he's interested in you. When you spoke to him, did you feel you got any response? Have you done any divination or tried meditating?

I haven't done any no... And i felt he understood.

Thorson

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 06:31:28 am »
hi there..

sorry to babble on.

Don't worry about "babbling". I've posted a lot worse. In answer to your question, the only advice I can give is that you feel a connection to Odin, then explore it. If you're waiting for "proof" then I'm afraid you'll have a very long wait indeed. You are not going to see Old One Eye ride Sleipnir over Bifrost and appear in your front room(more's the pity because that would be freakin' awesome! :D:)

Everything is subjective. So feel free to contact Odin as directly as you can. Do you have a set of Runes? That might help you, as it's hard to think of anything more directly linked to Odin(apart from sacrificing an enemy by hanging him, and the police seem to take rather a dim view of that nowadays. Spoil-sports :dwink:).

All joking aside, the Norse/Germanic Gods are very like the people who worshiped them; they don't suffer fools and they don't care if they hurt your feelings. You'll get a very clear, ahem, Fornicate and Travel response if they're not interested in you. But from what you say, that would seem to be unlikely. In my(very)limited experience, if someone feels a deep connection to any God/Goddess, it's usually mutual.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 06:33:36 am by Thorson »

europa

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 08:23:36 am »
Quote from: Thorson;104604
Don't worry about "babbling". I've posted a lot worse. In answer to your question, the only advice I can give is that you feel a connection to Odin, then explore it. If you're waiting for "proof" then I'm afraid you'll have a very long wait indeed. You are not going to see Old One Eye ride Sleipnir over Bifrost and appear in your front room(more's the pity because that would be freakin' awesome! :D:)

Everything is subjective. So feel free to contact Odin as directly as you can. Do you have a set of Runes? That might help you, as it's hard to think of anything more directly linked to Odin(apart from sacrificing an enemy by hanging him, and the police seem to take rather a dim view of that nowadays. Spoil-sports :dwink:).

All joking aside, the Norse/Germanic Gods are very like the people who worshiped them; they don't suffer fools and they don't care if they hurt your feelings. You'll get a very clear, ahem, Fornicate and Travel response if they're not interested in you. But from what you say, that would seem to be unlikely. In my(very)limited experience, if someone feels a deep connection to any God/Goddess, it's usually mutual.

Good luck!

I dont have a set of runes actually.. im currently reading a book of rune magic and alphabet, maybe thats something i should look into. thank you for your kind words. i think i just needed a little kick in the bum and for someone to tell me its ok to go ahead and explore, i am new to all this like i said so i was just unsure. ya know :)

Thorson

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 10:12:53 am »
Quote from: europa;104617
I dont have a set of runes actually.. im currently reading a book of rune magic and alphabet, maybe thats something i should look into. thank you for your kind words. i think i just needed a little kick in the bum and for someone to tell me its ok to go ahead and explore, i am new to all this like i said so i was just unsure. ya know :)

No problem, man. That's why I'm here as well.:)

As for Runes, I'd recommend wood or stone; plastic Runes are cheap and nasty.

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 10:28:20 am »
hi there..

sorry to babble on.

Welcome. :)

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
odin?
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 01:07:32 pm »
Quote from: Thorson;104620

Yeah, if you need an inexpensive option, find some small stones and write the runes on them in sharpie. Boom, free handcrafted runes!

Beyond that, any natural material should be fine - I have bone, wood, glass and even metal runes. (Okay, aluminum isn't natural but they're personally relevant.)
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

europa

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 01:51:33 pm »
Quote from: Thorson;104620

thanks. :) no plastic !! lol

europa

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 01:53:02 pm »
Quote from: Jack;104645
Yeah, if you need an inexpensive option, find some small stones and write the runes on them in sharpie. Boom, free handcrafted runes!

Beyond that, any natural material should be fine - I have bone, wood, glass and even metal runes. (Okay, aluminum isn't natural but they're personally relevant.)

good thinking.  i like making things myself, feels more personal. this i can do :) thank you for the idea !!

europa

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 01:53:36 pm »
Quote from: Laveth;104625
Welcome. :)

thank you :)

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 02:32:36 pm »
Quote from: europa;104617

Just curious, what is the book on Runes you are reading? As with all things there are some really good ones and some very questionable ones.

Welcome to TC.
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

europa

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 08:17:50 pm »
Quote from: Fireof9;104656
Just curious, what is the book on Runes you are reading? As with all things there are some really good ones and some very questionable ones.

Welcome to TC.

I am reading   a handbook of rune magik by thorsson

europa

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 08:24:52 pm »
Quote from: europa;104675
I am reading   a handbook of rune magik by thorsson

Futhark *

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 01:42:19 am »
Quote from: europa;104676
Futhark *

You might want to check out this site as well

http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

Tags: