Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:04:14 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 06:56:16 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Yei
[Today at 06:56:00 pm]

Author Topic: Baby Steps and Exercise  (Read 11220 times)

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
Baby Steps and Exercise
« on: April 04, 2013, 10:34:16 am »
It's time for another baby steps thread!

Exercise is my arch-enemy but, in order to nurture myself (and my Dark Flame) I need to do something.  I need to get up and move from time to time in a purposeful way that doesn't involve "let's walk to the State Store for another bottle of wine."

(Although, walking to get a bottle of wine is preferable to driving to get one, right???)

This week, I started purposefully doing (or trying to do) a series of 15 minute exercises (streamed from Amazon).  I've done one each day for three days now and while I feel like the lovely woman in the video is trying to kill me, I'm also having fun with it.  I'm also planning to add swimming back in, starting next week, 3 days a week.

So, what do you do?  Is there something you'd like to do, but haven't started?  Let's post our baby steps toward greater body movement here!
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
Baby Steps and Exercise
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 10:41:05 am »
Quote from: veggiewolf;104300

I'm doing the same video.  I'm also hoping to start biking with my kid when it gets a little warmer.  With any luck, by the end of the summer I will be able to bike out to the yarn store and make hubby eat his words.  Heeeeeeee!

Emerald

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Baby Steps and Exercise
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 11:15:37 am »

So, what do you do?  Is there something you'd like to do, but haven't started?  Let's post our baby steps toward greater body movement here!

I swim 2-3 times a week. It doesn't hurt my joints or make me sweaty. Plus the pools let me wear shorts and a tshirt. I swim up and down the lanes and aqua jog when I'm in the deep end.

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 11:47:06 am »

I've put on my traditional winter pounds, and now I'm trying to take the bus more often.  This is no mean commitment.  It's more than 7 miles round trip if I take the "short" way (I like doing a 12-mile round trip, but it's both time-consuming and plain difficult, so I need to plan for and work up to it).  The weather hereabouts isn't particularly accommodating in the spring, but I'm trying to get in one trip a week minimum in the spring, and two during the summer.

When I'm not walking, I'll hit the elliptical, garden, and take my dog on weekend hikes.  I also keep threatening to join a friend of mine at the gym (she has a free permanent guest pass), but I have no proper gym clothes and would look ridiculous working out in my hippie sandals.  ;)

Oh, and I'm still pondering a bike, although there's really no place to ride hereabouts that doesn't involve driving first (our roads are shoulderless, winding, and super dangerous for bikers).

Brina

savveir

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 11:57:18 am »

Well tonight after a failed attempt at using the cheap exercise bike my sister didn't want(it's either crap or I have a really boney butt). I decided to head out for an evening walk, it was really enjoyable. I prefer night walks because it's cool, quiet and you don't tend to bump into people.
"I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it."
-Lewis Carroll

Dark Midnight

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 12:02:24 pm »
It's time for another baby steps thread!

Exercise is my arch-enemy but, in order to nurture myself (and my Dark Flame) I need to do something.  I need to get up and move from time to time in a purposeful way that doesn't involve "let's walk to the State Store for another bottle of wine."

This is a fairly major problem for me. I am really limited in the amount and types of exercise I am actually allowed to do. I used to be incredibly active- swimming, hiking, badminton, going to the gym etc, but these days I'm not actually allowed. I am able to walk a little and swim a tiny bit, but it is very difficult to keep fit and active whilst trying not to either break something (I am developing Osteoperosis) or set something off (Ehlers Danlos, Tachycardia, prolapsed disc etc).

The best I can do is make a concerted effort to keep moving as best I can. It is depressing when I used to be so active though.....
"No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy." (Melamphoros)
AKA Thundercougarfalconbird..... (Thanks Nyktipolos!)

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 01:21:56 pm »
Quote from: Dark Midnight;104310
This is a fairly major problem for me. I am really limited in the amount and types of exercise I am actually allowed to do. I used to be incredibly active- swimming, hiking, badminton, going to the gym etc, but these days I'm not actually allowed. I am able to walk a little and swim a tiny bit, but it is very difficult to keep fit and active whilst trying not to either break something (I am developing Osteoperosis) or set something off (Ehlers Danlos, Tachycardia, prolapsed disc etc).

The best I can do is make a concerted effort to keep moving as best I can. It is depressing when I used to be so active though.....

I share your pain - EDS sucks. I do as much walking as I can, too (and if it would just get a teeny bit warmer, I'd do more) - but not what I used to, when I was hike-ten-miles-a-day type. I'm thinking of going back to swimming, again when it warms up. Indoor pool (obviously - this is the UK) but I still really feel the cold after swimming. It only needs a few more degrees, though.

Tell you what, veggie. I'll investigate my options for joining the local swimming pool, so that I'm at least up to speed with that before it's warm enough to start going again. I enjoy swimming, when I can motivate myself to go.

P.S. Veggie's nefarious abilities to get me to *do* things are starting to worry me...
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 01:41:26 pm »
Quote from: Sophia Catherine;104324

P.S. Veggie's nefarious abilities to get me to *do* things are starting to worry me...

According to Shad:

I think you're talking about shit we all know is RIGHT and therefore don't wanna hear...

...well you're annoyingly effective, so I'd say you're spot-on. *g*

*puts on a t-shirt that says, "Nurture yourself NOW!  Ask me HOW!"*

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 01:45:41 pm »
Quote from: HeartShadow;104301
I'm doing the same video.

I definitely think "Graceful Sadism" would have been a nice name.  Maybe I should email her?  ;)

I'm also hoping to start biking with my kid when it gets a little warmer.  With any luck, by the end of the summer I will be able to bike out to the yarn store and make hubby eat his words.  Heeeeeeee!

EEEEE!  I want photos of you with your Swug-motor attached!

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 01:46:16 pm »
Quote from: Emerald;104303
I swim 2-3 times a week. It doesn't hurt my joints or make me sweaty. Plus the pools let me wear shorts and a tshirt. I swim up and down the lanes and aqua jog when I'm in the deep end.

I love aqua jogging. In fact, I'm thinking I need to spend some time in the diving well next week.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 01:48:07 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;104306

When I'm not walking, I'll hit the elliptical, garden, and take my dog on weekend hikes.  I also keep threatening to join a friend of mine at the gym (she has a free permanent guest pass), but I have no proper gym clothes and would look ridiculous working out in my hippie sandals.  ;)

Would you take a class or use the equipment?  I have to admit hating ellipticals, and treadmills, and all the other "moving to nowhere" machines, but that's just me.

Oh, and I'm still pondering a bike, although there's really no place to ride hereabouts that doesn't involve driving first (our roads are shoulderless, winding, and super dangerous for bikers).

Brina

I want to get my bike fixed up too, but we also have dangerous roads and there's the small problem of not knowing how to shift.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 01:50:00 pm »
Quote from: savvy;104308
Well tonight after a failed attempt at using the cheap exercise bike my sister didn't want(it's either crap or I have a really boney butt). I decided to head out for an evening walk, it was really enjoyable. I prefer night walks because it's cool, quiet and you don't tend to bump into people.

I had an exercise bike at one point, but it became a clothing rack.  Technically, I think it *wanted* to be a clothing rack and so I did my best to help it.

I walk outside a lot in the spring and fall, but summer walking around here is like willingly entering the mouth of a Rottweiler - hot, steamy, and smelly.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 01:50:49 pm by veggiewolf »

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 01:53:51 pm »
Quote from: Dark Midnight;104310

*hugs*

How close is the nearest pool, and is it open year-round?  Could you go more often than you do now, or is it too much with your schedule?

Also, for the record, chicken wrangling counts too.

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 02:12:05 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;104333
Would you take a class or use the equipment?  I have to admit hating ellipticals, and treadmills, and all the other "moving to nowhere" machines, but that's just me.

I generally do too, unless I'm watching action movies while I work out, and this place has a gigantic theater with a row of ellipticals in front of it.  They're showing the Bourne Identity on the 16th.  I may have to go.  ;)

I want to get my bike fixed up too, but we also have dangerous roads and there's the small problem of not knowing how to shift.

I have no idea how to shift a bike anymore.  I've been looking at comfy step-through bikes with squishy seats and no center bar for me to trip over.  I'll have enough to worry about.  ;)

Of course, my primary motivation for bike ownership is taking the Centennial Trail to one of my favorite pubs, enjoying a couple pints, then biking back again.  Three cheers for productive hedonism!

Brina

Fier

• Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pantheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 09:04:45 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;104333
and there's the small problem of not knowing how to shift.

Quote from: yewberry;104345

I have no idea how to shift a bike anymore.

OK, clearly I need to write a blog post about how to shift gears. *puts on to-do list*

I've been looking at comfy step-through bikes with squishy seats and no center bar for me to trip over.

I have one of these in orange.

Of course, my primary motivation for bike ownership is taking the Centennial Trail to one of my favorite pubs, enjoying a couple pints, then biking back again.  Three cheers for productive hedonism!

*has never been on bike bar crawls* :whis:

Tags: